Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:17 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

It's tough because you want to eat high-fat for optimal ketosis. The problem is, if you need a certain minimum about of calories and you want it coming from a very high % of fat, your body may have a hard time processes all of those fat calories. I think that is why fatty-stools and pale stools can be and sometimes are a common thing with the keto-diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
I tried the keto diet, but it wreaked havoc with my sleep cycle. Seems I need a certain amount of carbs to get a good nights sleep.
How long did you eat keto before you gave it up? There is always a period of adjustment from your body detoxing from the carbs

Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 PM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Well, it is unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories per day, especially long-term. It is very difficult to get the USRDA of all the nutrients the body needs on less than that. Long-term severe caloric restriction like that will also damage your metabolism. There is a reason the USRDAs are what they are, and why the recommended caloric intakes are what they are.
I am intermittent fasting and so far today I have consumed 375 calories but it is all fat. Fat is high calorie But this fat will not contribute to weight gain.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,225 times
Any ideas for high fat meals. I eat avocado a day but hitting fat macros is hard to do. Yes I can drizzle butter on all my protein but there has to be better options for ketogenic diets.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
I won't even mention the obvious like animal based fats. Chicken with the skin on, steak with some of the fat on it. Pasture raised or grass fed if possible.

Wild salmon is one of the best.

EVOO based dressings or whole olives. They are a bit salty but I like them in Greek salads.

Nuts and seeds like almonds, pecans, macadamia and especially flax. You can use flax to make muffins, tortillas, bread etc. Chia is another one that is loaded with fat.

Dairy like cheese, heavy whipping cream and butter of course.

Stay away from seed oils like vegetable and canola, they are the worst.

19 Healthy Fats And High-Fat Foods You Should Be Eating

Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
[quote=goodgal;51962358]Any ideas for high fat meals. I eat avocado a day but hitting fat macros is hard to do. Yes I can drizzle butter on all my protein but there has to be better options for ketogenic diets.[/QUO

The macros thing is hard for me too but Keto does work! I'v lost 40lbs and knocked my A1C back to 5.6.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:40 PM

1,353 posts, read 788,324 times
Dr. A. Katz and Dr. R. Arnot found animal fat is the main "food" for the cancer cells. They multiply fast, as they find this fat.
Therefore my concern is: how safe is this diet, if the major % of diet is animal fat?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Different diets work for different body types. This makes sense. It's not as simple as "calories in, calories out." I couldn't lose more than 6-8 pounds if I kept wheat in my diet. I also can't eat hardly any avocado, but nut butters are fine. Eggs don't bother me a bit, but some people can't eat them at all. Fruit and dairy products in moderation also don't bother me, nor do potatoes in moderation, but I can't even eat half a cup of beans without bloating up and retaining water.

My point is that everyone is different. Listen to your body - AFTER you do a cleanse and get rid of addictions.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
This showed up in my FB feed today.

Very positive results for following Keto.

From the article:

"Taking advantage of our evolving knowledge of carbohydrate restriction, the research team, led by Madeline Gibas, an assistant professor at Bethel University focused on Human Bioenergetics and Applied Health Science, wanted to know if a ketogenic diet with no exercise was more beneficial to diabetics and sufferers of metabolic syndrome than the standard American diet with exercise.
Following a ketogenic diet, even with no exercise, proved statistically significant for weight, body fat percentage, BMI, A1C (glycated hemoglobin), and ketones. Some of the results were dramatic:

The resting metabolic rate in the ketogenic group also produced sizable change in the magnitude of the slope, more than ten times the other two groups.
As the authors conclude:

Physiological ketosis has clinical utility for prevention, reduction and reversal of metabolic syndrome and its progression into obesity, pre-diabetes and diabetes and is therefore a noteworthy modality of alternative care."

How the ketogenic diet with no exercise outperforms the standard American diet with exercise | Big Think

Old 05-25-2018, 09:53 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
my diet with exercise not only caused weight loss, but I'm stronger, have a lot of endurance, and I'm fit. I'll take it.

not exercising is cheating yourself. if you are physically able to do so, it is borderline neglect to not be at least somewhat active.

kudos to all of the overweight people I see at the gym trying to improve not only their waistlines but their health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss