Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:12 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times

Advertisements

The amount of calories needed to maintain your body at goal weight may be less than 1200 calories, depending on height and activity.

Calorie Calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I am not sure why people think carbs are the culprit. It just doesn't make sense.
The science. You are fat, you need to lose fat. You eat carbs, which are burned by your body. You body never has an opportunity to burn fat if you are poking in the carbs.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 AM

15 posts, read 32,867 times
Hi,

Every carb is digested into glucose. Yes, in the end, the candy bar turns into glucose just like the cup of peas. Sure, the candy bar turns into glucose faster, but that’s the only difference. The candy bar has a bunch of monosaccharides that are quickly metabolized whereas the peas have a bunch of oligosaccharides that take longer. The sucrose found in a pineapple is no different chemically than the sucrose in our favorite type of dessert. And high-fructose corn syrup is chemically similar to sucrose.
What is especially fattening, then? Overeating. That is, feeding your body more energy than it needs every day, regardless of what foods are providing the excess energy. This study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14522746 ), conducted by researchers at the University of Hawaii, is an extensive review of sugar-related literature. Here’s a quote from the paper: “It is important to state at the outset that there is no direct connection between added sugars intake and obesity unless excessive consumption of sugar-containing beverages and foods leads to energy imbalance and the resultant weight gain.”
Overconsumption and energy imbalance are the keys here.
The more carbohydrates you eat, the more energy (calories) you put into your body. The more energy you give your body, the more energy you have to burn to prevent fat storage. You see, if you give your body a lot more energy than it needs every day, whether from excess amounts of protein, carbohydrate, or dietary fat, you’ll get fatter. This has been conclusively proven in clinical research. There is no debating this fact. And this is where we get to the actual problem with sugar intake and getting/staying fat: the more you eat foods with added sugars, the easier it is to overeat. This is especially true of liquid carbohydrates, including beverages with added sugar. If you love caloric beverages, you’ll probably stay fat forever. You can drink 1,000 calories and be hungry an hour later, whereas eating 1,000 calories of food, including a good portion of protein and fiber, will probably keep you full for 5 to 6 hours.

and article about Keto dieting:
https://myoleanfitness.com/ketogenic-diet-40-years-ago/

Last edited by rzoel; 02-07-2017 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: add article

Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Keto works. Period.

I am living healthy proof of that.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Keto works. Period.

I am living healthy proof of that.
Me too.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The science. You are fat, you need to lose fat. You eat carbs, which are burned by your body. You body never has an opportunity to burn fat if you are poking in the carbs.
You nailed it. That is it in a nutshell.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:06 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
If that's true - your body doesn't have the opportunity to burn fat if you are "packing in the carbs" - then why have I lost 60 lbs and my body fat percentage has correspondingly gone down?

My diet was, and still is, moderate carbs, proteins, and fats, btw. Somehow the glycogen stores were depleted and my body also burned fat.

I'll tell you why - it's because I ate less of everything and worked out at a moderate to high intensity. I also strength trained. Enough to burn carbs and fat over a period of time. There's no superior diet out there. If y'all want to eat all the meat, avocados, and seeds you want, that's great..but as I've said all along, that's not the only way to effectively lose weight and keep it off. Personally I don't subscribe to any "diet" that promotes the elimination or severe reduction of an important food group.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If that's true - your body doesn't have the opportunity to burn fat if you are "packing in the carbs" - then why have I lost 60 lbs and my body fat percentage has correspondingly gone down?
Everyone is different. Congrats on your weight loss!

For some of us, moderation and calorie counting don't work anymore. Low carb/keto/paleo type diets work for many people and I'm hearing friends say that their doctors are recommending them more as well.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Thank you Kara,
I agree everyone is different.
I see diets as a catalyst to get you to change your eating habits.
Nothing wrong with diets if your mindful and know your limits.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Everyone is different. Congrats on your weight loss!

For some of us, moderation and calorie counting don't work anymore. Low carb/keto/paleo type diets work for many people and I'm hearing friends say that their doctors are recommending them more as well.
Thank you. I don't mind that people use what works for them. I support my fellow dieters, however they choose to lose. I do mind when people preach any certain thing as if it were gospel, know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss