Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,637 times

Advertisements

I just recently lost over 60 pounds over a period of 6 months.

If youre interested, this is how I did it:

(1) I cut out all carbohydrates, starches, and sugars. That means, no sweets. No sweet drinks, no rice, no pasta, and no desserts.

(2) I ate greens ( kale, collards, mustards, or turnips) exclusively for at least 4 days of the week.

(3) I ate only once per day everyday except on Sundays (my most inactive day). On Sundays I fasted.

(4) On 2 days of each week I had only had fish and salad.

On Sundays I would drink green tea and perhaps have a "few" Sunflower seeds, if hunger pangs erupted.

BTW:

I now weigh 199 lbs!

Not too bad for a 5' 10" guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 AM

58 posts, read 41,487 times
Good for you! Nothing like achieving a goal through hard work to make us feel alive!

Your diet sounds quite...intense. How's your energy, how do you feel?

Old 12-16-2017, 09:28 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Veganism will do the same thing, particularly if you combine it with intermittent fasting, i.e., nothing after 1:00. You do a water/(decaf) green tea fast after lunch until breakfast the next day. Veganism is ethical, shows empathy for the sufferings of animals, and is better for the planet.

Psychologically, there is a piece that cannot be ignored if you want to maintain a weight loss long term. If you don't address the psychological issues you become a "dry drunk," as they say in 12 step addiction programs; in other words, the underlying psychological issues will still be there and mere self-control may not be enough to keep you sober. Food is a substance we use to deal with our lives, just like alcohol or drugs.

Though it has nothing to do with 12 step programs and does not reference them, I have found the following book extremely helpful:

Die Fat or Get Tough: 101 Differences in Thinking Between Fat People and Fit People
by Steve Siebold

I posted this on another thread once and people ignored it, but it really is very, very helpful!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
LOL, I came on here merely to report a spam post--"Use product XYZ and lose 60 lbs in 6 months!" Glad I was wrong and congrats.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcuaDave View Post
Good for you! Nothing like achieving a goal through hard work to make us feel alive!

Your diet sounds quite...intense. How's your energy, how do you feel?
I feel absolutely great for a 65 yr old youngster!

Energy level's up the roof!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Veganism will do the same thing, particularly if you combine it with intermittent fasting, i.e., nothing after 1:00. You do a water/(decaf) green tea fast after lunch until breakfast the next day. Veganism is ethical, shows empathy for the sufferings of animals, and is better for the planet.

Psychologically, there is a piece that cannot be ignored if you want to maintain a weight loss long term. If you don't address the psychological issues you become a "dry drunk," as they say in 12 step addiction programs; in other words, the underlying psychological issues will still be there and mere self-control may not be enough to keep you sober. Food is a substance we use to deal with our lives, just like alcohol or drugs.

Though it has nothing to do with 12 step programs and does not reference them, I have found the following book extremely helpful:

Die Fat or Get Tough: 101 Differences in Thinking Between Fat People and Fit People
by Steve Siebold

I posted this on another thread once and people ignored it, but it really is very, very helpful!

That's where I'm headed. Right now I'm a Pescatarian. However, I've been reading some Collen Patrick-Goudreau for Vegan inspiration and I think I'm almost there!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
I now weigh 199 lbs!

Not too bad for a 5' 10" guy!
now you just have to keep starving yourself for the next 30 years to keep the weight off

have you tried eating smaller portions before switching the diet completely?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
LOL, I came on here merely to report a spam post--"Use product XYZ and lose 60 lbs in 6 months!" Glad I was wrong and congrats.
Psyche!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
now you just have to keep starving yourself for the next 50 years to keep the weight off

have you tried eating smaller portions before switching the diet completely?
Smaller portions just don't work for me. For me, it's either feast or famine!

On days when I eat, I eat until I'm completely satisfied. The one day of fasting is generally completed successfully without cheating with Sunflower Seeds. ..

Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Smaller portions just don't work for me. For me, it's either feast or famine!

On days when I eat, I eat until I'm completely satisfied. The one day of fasting is generally completed successfully without cheating with Sunflower Seeds. ..
I just went thru this with a friend who was about to be diabetic and she also went off ALL WHITE foods, did more exercise and went from 262 to 180 and she's now working toward a 140 goal..she's 5'.

Good FOR YOU. It is possible and so much carb addiction out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss