Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I truly wonder how they did that. I mean, one tiny infuriating little hamburger there that's barely even a snack is I think like 480 calories. I rarely eat McDonalds, probably 3-4 times per year at most, but when I do (as with whenever I eat out in general), I disregard calories and just eat enough to be full, which is at McDonalds probably a good solid 2,000 calories. The difference is for me, it's rare to eat there, and 2,000 calories is only about 2/3 of my daily calorie needs, so if I just ate cereal in the morning (500 calories at most) and a protein shake before bed (400 calories), I can still eat McDonalds and not be over my calorie count for the day.
Pretty easily, actually. They stopped paying attention to hunger and started paying attention to numbers. McDonald's food is generally super calorie dense. I'm just the type of person who inhales food so it might take me a minute to eat a Big Mac (560 calories). That's just not long enough for your body to realize it's full so I go eat a second one and probably a third. Now you're at 1,700 calories. On the other hand if I put a reasonable portion of food in front of me and then deliberately stop even though I still feel hungry, it goes away after awhile as I realize I'm not any longer rather than just eating to the point where my stomach is full which seems to do the same thing.

The other thing is, of course, slow down. But it's just easier for me to do portion control and stuff my face and walk away than sit there and chew tiny bites for 30 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
I truly wonder how they did that. I mean, one tiny infuriating little hamburger there that's barely even a snack is I think like 480 calories. <snip>Yet my 400 calorie protein shake makes about three 12-ounce glasses of liquid, which takes a solid 45 minutes to an hour just to drink, and I feel stuffed after it, like sickly full almost sometimes.
I agree- my diet is very heavy on vegetables and they're filling and take a long time to eat and digest. Contrast that with greasy "slider" sandwiches, soft granola bars, smoothies, Starbucks Double Mocha Caramel Frappucinos and other food items meant to be scarfed down with very little chewing required.

Quote:
I don't think "portion control" is really the answer for most people, it's really about eating the right foods. If you eat the wrong foods, you'll just never be full, which is frustrating, yet you'll still be over your calorie counts. It must be even more challenging for women, which is borne out by the data (so many obese women), because their daily calorie recommendations are usually way lower, like under 2,000 calories. A short, small girl like my GF is supposed to eat about 1,400 calories per day, which is remarkable to me, whereas I can eat 3,000 calories every day and be just fine...
It's partly portion control, too. I'm female, age 65 and 5'7". At one point I weighed 147- not awful, but a very high number for me- and now I hover around 121. Part of it WAS portion control. What's the calorie content of a "serving" of this stuff? What does that tell me about the nutritional content for the whole item/package? Now, how much of this am I going to eat? And my cardio workouts burn about 600 calories- not bad, but not enough to counteract eating a bag of pork rinds. Cutting way back on sugar, animal proteins (except for fish and some dairy) and starches such as potatoes, white rice and pasta helped, too.

In addition to having lower calorie needs, women have a couple of other biological quirks. One, of course, is childbearing. Doctors are a lot more relaxed about weight gain in pregnancy (well, better than the 1950s when one woman I know was prescribed diet pills during pregnancy!) but if you gain 40 lbs. and then have the baby, you may end up with an extra 20 lbs. unless you work to lose it. Have a couple more kids and it multiplies. Menopause can play havoc with your metabolism, too, but that's not insurmountable. I'm proof of that.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
I rarely eat McDonalds, probably 3-4 times per year at most, but when I do (as with whenever I eat out in general), I disregard calories and just eat enough to be full, which is at McDonalds probably a good solid 2,000 calories. The difference is for me, it's rare to eat there, and 2,000 calories is only about 2/3 of my daily calorie needs, so if I just ate cereal in the morning (500 calories at most) and a protein shake before bed (400 calories), I can still eat McDonalds and not be over my calorie count for the day.
Here's my trick to eating at McDonalds...
I buy a drink so I get a receipt. I use it on McD Voice to get a Buy One Get One Quarter Pounder with Cheese.
I get them with no buns. Then I use that reciept to get two more.
Stack them all on top of each other and you have a Low Carb Bunless Pounder.

I also like to get something called a 7x7 at Steak and Shake.
It's seven patties and seven slices of cheese. This is not on the regular menu.
I get that bunless as well. It's very good.

I lost 22 lbs by going low carb, then stopped losing. I wasn't gaining, just staying the same.
So, I combined it with intermittent fasting. Very, very effective... I'm down another 13 lbs in 6 weeks.

I know I'm going to gain at least 5 lbs on Thanksgiving, but I'll lose that the week after.
I ate every bad and decadent thing on my birthday and gained 8 lbs in one day. Then I lost it all in a week.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-17-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 11:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Some research suggests that it's not the bad character of obese folks at fault but the salt, sugar and fat pumped into all our foods that is the problem; the meat, dairy, egg, and processed food industries are not concerned about public health but about profit. As a result, they lie and manipulate, and hide the truth, and people believe their lies.

Salt, sugar and fat are the enemies, not weak character and lack of self-control.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Some research suggests that it's not the bad character of obese folks at fault but the salt, sugar and fat pumped into all our foods that is the problem; the meat, dairy, egg, and processed food industries are not concerned about public health but about profit. As a result, they lie and manipulate, and hide the truth, and people believe their lies.

Salt, sugar and fat are the enemies, not weak character and lack of self-control.
That's a pretty fine line.

It's not like tons of info is not out there on this.

My sis is overweight, and she knows exactly why.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2018, 11:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I can eat fat and lose weight if I don't eat sugar.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
As we see here each person can lose in different ways. I can eat fat and sugar and lose weight. I don’t believe in dietary enemies. In my opinion the biggest enemy is sitting on your butt much of the time.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:04 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
[quote=eaton53;53665943]I lost 22 lbs by going low carb, then stopped losing. I wasn't gaining, just staying the same.[quote]

Yes, the Low-Carb Stall.

It's happened to me a few times and also my friends.

Quote:
So, I combined it with intermittent fasting. Very, very effective... I'm down another 13 lbs in 6 weeks.
Me, too.

I started doing IF and it pushed me further on losing. I also cut out beer & wine to only once per 7 days or 10 days. With exercising at the gym (lifting and cardio) and walking, I'm lighter than I've been in 25 years. I have lost a good amount of muscle as I'm not eating a lot of protein and eating very little, if any meat.

(Need to up the Lentils, Barley and Quinoa, Tofu, etc).

It's good to change things up to trick the body. It adapts fairly well to constant routines.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
From my doings while consuming the SAD (American Standard Diet) and tossing in an inactive lifestyle along with fast foods, GMO's, meats and nothing organic and eating small portions at that! Something I've never done before, "I got fat!" I packed on 60 pounds, and not only that, I became very unfit, sickly as well, after two years of this I decided I needed get my health back. So I switch back to all organics foods and no meats (just not my thing, not judging) no GMO's, no hormones, antibiotics, chemicals, pesticides, estrogen ridden foods or products and no fast foods or processed and took up cooking and baking once again, and got back into running and added lightweights as well! ....Amazingly the weight came off fast and has stay off for 10 years now doing what I did before, eating clean and moving! Yes I believe our foods sources is at the cause of this epidemic of obesity, it wasn't always like this growing up in the 60's -70's us kids were skinny and very active, maybe you had one student who was overweight, but nothing like today, obese! Parents the same deal! "The food chain is unhealthy!"... While consuming lots of milk and other dairy has been shown to have bovine growth hormone (rBGH), Hormones are present in most animal products including beef and poultry. They are injected directly into the animals or added to their feed to enhance the amount of eggs, dairy and meat produced. These synthetic hormones include recombinant bovine growth hormone, rbGH, which is also called bovine somatotropin, BST. This hormone is used to promote milk production in cows. The steroid hormones estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are also given to cattle and other animals to promote growth and development... Basically Americans are becoming what they've consumed! ...

Old 11-19-2018, 09:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a pretty fine line.

It's not like tons of info is not out there on this.

My sis is overweight, and she knows exactly why.
I will confess that the "sugar, salt and fat" idea is not original with me, but the central focus of a book that came out this last year. I've forgotten who the author is, but he appeared on Bill Maher and it was the first I'd heard of Intermittent Fasting. I'll look for it.

Can't seem to find it. The "sugar, salt and fat" thing, IIRC, was mentioned in the context of the complaints about food marketing and how it was focused on sales versus public health. For example, cheese is inserted into everything, despite its high fat content. And everyone knows there's sugar in everything, including things like lunch meat. The contention of the author is that these things are in the food because they're addictive and increase sales. There is no regard for things like obesity, heart disease, hypertension, so on.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 11-19-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss