Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:45 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I will confess that the "sugar, salt and fat" idea is not original with me, but the central focus of a book that came out this last year. I've forgotten who the author is, but he appeared on Bill Maher and it was the first I'd heard of Intermittent Fasting. I'll look for it.

Can't seem to find it. The "sugar, salt and fat" thing, IIRC, was mentioned in the context of the complaints about food marketing and how it was focused on sales versus public health. For example, cheese is inserted into everything, despite its high fat content. And everyone knows there's sugar in everything, including things like lunch meat. The contention of the author is that these things are in the food because they're addictive and increase sales. There is no regard for things like obesity, heart disease, hypertension, so on.

It is a known fact that the makers of processed food engineer it looking for that perfect combo of salt, sugar and fat to make it as "addictive" as possible. They do focus groups and then go tweak whatever they are making. I find it unconscionable.

BUT, I know this, and don't eat it very often.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
....the complaints about food marketing and how it was focused on sales versus public health. For example, cheese is inserted into everything, despite its high fat content. And everyone knows there's sugar in everything, including things like lunch meat. The contention of the author is that these things are in the food because they're addictive and increase sales. There is no regard for things like obesity, heart disease, hypertension, so on.
Yes, the food lobbyists and the food industry only care about profits. The health consequences are not important.

As for cheese, the US govt started promoting cheese consumption to support dairy farmers. Dr. Mark Hyman did a piece on this.

US Milk is banned in many European and Asian countries.

Toxins, preservatives, hormones and anti-biotics in mass produced meat, and HFCs and PUFAs are everywhere around us.

I started avoided all processed foods and oils about 2 months ago and already feel and look better, not to mention losing lots of kilos.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, the food lobbyists and the food industry only care about profits. The health consequences are not important.

As for cheese, the US govt started promoting cheese consumption to support dairy farmers. Dr. Mark Hyman did a piece on this.

US Milk is banned in many European and Asian countries.

Toxins, preservatives, hormones and anti-biotics in mass produced meat, and HFCs and PUFAs are everywhere around us.

I started avoided all processed foods and oils about 2 months ago and already feel and look better, not to mention losing lots of kilos.
This sounds gross, but apparently a certain percentage of pus is within federal limits in dairy products. Dairy is one thing that is truly easy to give up, since alternatives are so delicious, whether one cares about the abusive nature of the industry or not.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
This sounds gross, but apparently a certain percentage of pus is within federal limits in dairy products. Dairy is one thing that is truly easy to give up, since alternatives are so delicious, whether one cares about the abusive nature of the industry or not.
As for me, I stopped drinking milk sometime in my teens just because I didn't feel the need.

I stopped eating cheese a few months ago for a temporary health issue that's minor.

Eggs are not dairy but I'll note:

Eggs yes, until a couple of months ago (trying to overcome that same health issue that's not life threatening. Not sure if eggs obstruct my healing but I didn't want to take the chance).

Yogurt: use to eat a little here and there but the pro-bio bennies are useless.

I liked Kefir but haven't had it in a long time.

So basically, I'm off dairy. I never even think about it.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It is a known fact that the makers of processed food engineer it looking for that perfect combo of salt, sugar and fat to make it as "addictive" as possible. They do focus groups and then go tweak whatever they are making. I find it unconscionable.

They make food for profit, why wouldn't they try and come up with the most appealing blend possible? I never blamed pizza or Chinese food for my lifelong struggles with obesity, I blamed myself for overindulging.

It's like why I don't blame tobacco companies for lung cancer, they're all about profits.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
It is a known fact that the makers of processed food engineer it looking for that perfect combo of salt, sugar and fat to make it as "addictive" as possible.
Thus the diabolical "Doritos Locos Taco".

Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM

16 posts, read 11,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Not wanting to turn this into dissing or belittling, lets try keep it respectful and informative, helpful!

Nearly Half of Americans Battling to Lose Weight: CDC Data

First i am sorry for my english i am form croatia.
Now we cant luck at it like that that onli 2% sucide becouse the other 98% just werent in the mind state to stick to the plan. I personaly think that is the best way to lose weight and there is a few tricks to stick on to the plan. For example you make a deal with your self that you are not going to cut your hair until you get to the weight that you want.
So before you thing that I am trying to sell you something this thing is compleately free no shiping or anything becosue it is an online product. I haw writen a book on weight loss and in the next 3 days it will be 100% free no shiping becouse it is an e-book. I would sugeste that you get it it doesnt cost you anything liturarly and you can just benefite from it. If you are interesting hire is the link

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-loss-M...1iL&ref=plSrch

Please leave a positive rewiev and if you got any sugestions or something that you are not happy with contact me please.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM

57 posts, read 60,287 times
Quote:

Very true. Also, advertisers are using science to sell as much of the junk as possible. Finally, the supermarkets display foods that is planned to entice you. Candy is placed right by the checkout counter, for example. I'd be in favor of junk food taxes - taxes are what worked to curtail smoking.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:43 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
Very true. Also, advertisers are using science to sell as much of the junk as possible. Finally, the supermarkets display foods that is planned to entice you. Candy is placed right by the checkout counter, for example. I'd be in favor of junk food taxes - taxes are what worked to curtail smoking.
At least where I do my shopping (Raley's) it's kind of interesting what the impulse buy checkout aisle consists of now. There's no more regular candy bars. There's still candy bars but they're some weird stuff that I'm too old to recognize and there aren't all that many. It's mostly gum, KIND bars, Clif Bar type stuff, beef jerky. If you want a Reese's peanut butter cup, you got to the junk food aisle. You won't find it at the checkout stand. If there's a refrigerator there's as much space in it full of weird kombucha tea type stuff as regular soda.

I figure they just put stuff that sells there. Since Hershey bars don't sell anymore around here, they've replaced them with a few fancy candy bars. I'm sure markup is also a factor. They probably make us much profit selling a fancy candy bar as five Snickers. But then I never make it to the grocery store checkout hungry. I try not to shop hungry but if I do I just start eating something that's not awful while I'm shopping so that type of stuff is less tempting.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 AM

10 posts, read 8,887 times
It is a worldwide epidemic and its getting worse. I read this article about UK https://www.theguardian.com/society/...2030-men-women
74% men and 64% women estimated to be obese 2030 in UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss