Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Bingo.

I’d rather eat a banana that is high in potassium, b6 and has 3g of fiber than a candy bar, chips and other trash. This whole war on sugar is no different than the war on fat, to the point where wholesome, delicious fruit is forbidden (wtf?). Seriously folks there’s nothing wrong with liking things that are sweet. It’s one of many “tastes” one experiences. There is no concrete proof that a banana will cause fat gain. Every single thing that contains calories can contribute to weight gain there’s no magical substance that makes you gain just like there’s no magical substance that will make you lose either.

I’ll be damned if I have any restrictions as to what to eat again. It’s been two years since I’ve kissed obesity goodbye and I did it eating lots and lots of things. Life is too short. And yes I do work out, which most people who aren’t infirm should

Agree~~ Every morning after I wake-up I have an 8oz glass of water with 2TBS of Braggs Apple Cinder Vinegar with Mother and drink it while preparing my breakfast .. I take a banana and some strawberries, blueberries, raisins along with mix crushed nuts, pumpkin seeds, raw hemp seeds and dash of cinnamon and mix this all into my oat grouts in a large bowl! This sticks to my ribs for hours 9AM -4PM when I have dinner! Been doing this for 9 years, no weight issues! The body knows what to do with fruits, veggies and grains! I do buy from the local certified organic framers, markets or grow our own, we don't consume fast food or processed foods, I bake & cook our own meals..If I snake I reach for healthy options, dates, mix nuts, smoothie, juicing, avocados, peanut butter, etc, etc! I don't restrict myself, I still have pizza, the difference is I make it from scratch, so I know what's going into it and on it! ... I don't consume meats, not vegan I just don't care for it! Yes I get moving 5 days a week! Peace Out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:13 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
Bingo.

I’d rather eat a banana that is high in potassium, b6 and has 3g of fiber than a candy bar, chips and other trash. This whole war on sugar is no different than the war on fat, to the point where wholesome, delicious fruit is forbidden (wtf?). Seriously folks there’s nothing wrong with liking things that are sweet. It’s one of many “tastes” one experiences. There is no concrete proof that a banana will cause fat gain. Every single thing that contains calories can contribute to weight gain there’s no magical substance that makes you gain just like there’s no magical substance that will make you lose either.

I’ll be damned if I have any restrictions as to what to eat again. It’s been two years since I’ve kissed obesity goodbye and I did it eating lots and lots of things. Life is too short. And yes I do work out, which most people who aren’t infirm should
Yes!

Unless we are talking about people who have very specific dietary needs (because of allergies, sensitivities, medical issues, etc.) or someone who has legitimately been trying a standard, moderate diet but has not had any success, moderation is key.

Also, those who are already at a healthy weight and who have been consuming a relatively healthy diet but who are looking to lose a few vanity pounds may need to follow a very specific diet in order to achieve the results that they are looking for.

I think it's particularly dangerous and irresponsible to promote ideas like "bananas aren't healthy" or "you have to stop eating carbs in order to lose weight" or "only keto diets work" toward the average overweight or obese person who is trying to lose weight.

Many people who are overweight or obese haven't been practicing moderation very well to start with. I don't mean this to be hateful or judgmental. Now, when a person in this situation decides to start trying to lose weight, giving them a laundry list of things that they can't eat -- including foods that they may have always heard were healthy -- is likely to only make them give up..."See, I knew I couldn't stick to this."

I will never tell an overweight person that they are making the wrong decision if they get a turkey sub from Subway instead of a Quarter Pounder from McDonald's. I will never tell someone who grabbed a banana instead of a bag of chips that they made some horrible nutritional decision. And it's going to be hard for someone to convince me that a person who is eating a chicken breast, a scoop of white rice and a banana for lunch is having an "unhealthy" meal.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times

All of the information provided about bananas is very nice, but I wanted to hear Steve's reason, and haven't yet.

At different points in my life I've treated bananas as a staple, mainly re the potassium they contain, but they've sort of lost their appeal for me.

I haven't had one, I think, for a couple of years.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 AM

92 posts, read 131,606 times
All about cutting out refined sugars.

Gov't should be running PSA's on how to avoid refined sugars and eat whole foods 24/7. And health eating advocacy should focus on this as well. That Katie Couric "Fed Up" doc was pretty good in covering this.

It isn't about Mediterranean diet or plant based or vegan or vegetarian or atkins or whatever, it's mainly about cutting out garbage and eating whole foods rather than food like products.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're super high in sugar, and have virtually no fiber to slow down the influence of the sugar on your system. But to comment on Steve's post, fruits like pears and apples also have a lot of sugar: fructose. People aiming to lose weight should avoid those, too. Berries have plenty of nutrients, with less sugar content, and some berries are high in fiber (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries), so they don't cause the same sugar load as a pear would.
I gotta ask, what's your research based upon? I have a small army of medical professionals, including two nutritionists, who recommend banana's as an excellent option. The nutritional impact is well-balanced, the taste generally appealing and it's a clean, easy to prepare snack.

I love forums like City Data and social media in general, but every now and again I see advice like this which runs contrary to popularly held beliefs, but not supported by anything more than "because I said so" logic, and it drives me nuts.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:41 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

All of the information provided about bananas is very nice, but I wanted to hear Steve's reason, and haven't yet.

At different points in my life I've treated bananas as a staple, mainly re the potassium they contain, but they've sort of lost their appeal for me.

I haven't had one, I think, for a couple of years.
I'm not "Steve" but I eat one banana, one apple (usually Granny Smith variety) and one grapefruit almost every day. I agree that there's nothing wrong with a banana for the potassium as any sugar it provides will be burned off with my daily activity.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yes!

Unless we are talking about people who have very specific dietary needs (because of allergies, sensitivities, medical issues, etc.) or someone who has legitimately been trying a standard, moderate diet but has not had any success, moderation is key.

Also, those who are already at a healthy weight and who have been consuming a relatively healthy diet but who are looking to lose a few vanity pounds may need to follow a very specific diet in order to achieve the results that they are looking for.

I think it's particularly dangerous and irresponsible to promote ideas like "bananas aren't healthy" or "you have to stop eating carbs in order to lose weight" or "only keto diets work" toward the average overweight or obese person who is trying to lose weight.

Many people who are overweight or obese haven't been practicing moderation very well to start with. I don't mean this to be hateful or judgmental. Now, when a person in this situation decides to start trying to lose weight, giving them a laundry list of things that they can't eat -- including foods that they may have always heard were healthy -- is likely to only make them give up..."See, I knew I couldn't stick to this."

I will never tell an overweight person that they are making the wrong decision if they get a turkey sub from Subway instead of a Quarter Pounder from McDonald's. I will never tell someone who grabbed a banana instead of a bag of chips that they made some horrible nutritional decision. And it's going to be hard for someone to convince me that a person who is eating a chicken breast, a scoop of white rice and a banana for lunch is having an "unhealthy" meal.
What a great post. Worth repeating. Want to know why most diet plans give this startling fact - "For most, weight loss is temporary"?? Because when faced with the test of time, most people return to old form and regain all of the lost weight. I'm sorry, but as an overweight person, I was destined to fail with any diet program that preached elimination of any food group. What I *needed* to learn was how to eat everyday foods in moderation. I needed to learn that activity was not a bad thing. I needed to learn how to make better food choices in a variety of situations. What I needed to learn was that real life dictates that I can't follow some "diet plan" day in and day out, or expect a restaurant to cater to my plan. Shelving bananas would not solve my issues whatsoever. I ultimately lost over a third of my body weight by practicing calorie management and making exercise a focus (as much as eating) of my life. I may never be the best dieter, but I bust my butt in the gym.

I'd rather my kids continue to eat bananas than consume the crap around them. I'd rather, if they do eat a crap item, continue to listen to the cues of their bodies and if they're full STOP EATING. Something that so many can't do! My kids are thin as rails and a large part of that is because they're active, they push away from the table when they're full, and balance junk and wholesome food.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I gotta ask, what's your research based upon? I have a small army of medical professionals, including two nutritionists, who recommend banana's as an excellent option. The nutritional impact is well-balanced, the taste generally appealing and it's a clean, easy to prepare snack.

I love forums like City Data and social media in general, but every now and again I see advice like this which runs contrary to popularly held beliefs, but not supported by anything more than "because I said so" logic, and it drives me nuts.
That and when people don't challenge what they're told and just assume everything their doctor, or worse, a website, says is right.

Ask 10 different doctors, get 10 different answers. At least 9 of them are wrong. You'd better ask questions.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Bingo.

Good post. I’ve never had a weight issue, but have supported friends that do. Highly restricted diets, in the abscence of a medical reason, are unnecessarily difficult to stick to long term. Balancing calories in/out is enough for weight loss. Exercise is not even necessary to lose weight, but wonderful for overall quality of life and energy levels.

I eat a well balanced mostly healthy diet. But, I also have occasional sweets, alcohol and all manner of delightful things that I enjoy. I just don’t over indulge and exercise most days of the week. Simple.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I'm sitting here right now enjoying a glass of wine. The only thing I cannot eat is wheat. I'm OK with that. Everything else works fine in moderation.

This isn't some fad thing, it's just my reality. I wish it wasn't the case in fact, because I like wheat products in general. But I've been able to find great substitutes for those few meals that call for pasta or bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss