Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I firmly believe that some people are more sensitive to types of some foods than others. Eating these types of foods can cause digestive issues, bloating, water retention, weight gain, joint pain, heartburn, etc. Sadly, some people walk around in a state of discomfort actually believing that it's just normal to feel that way over time!

For me, it was gluten. For a good friend of mine, it was eggs, which I can eat with no problem. For another friend, it was dairy, another product I can eat with no issues. They can both eat gluten and I can't. Oh well - I can eat eggs and dairy and they can't! I'll take that trade off!

Ice cream - OK, get this - I made DELICIOUS home made ice cream for the 4th of July - and yes, I ate it that day and two other days. Now, I can eat dairy, and I don't have a negative reaction to sugar in small amounts, but wow, I just can't keep ice cream in my house - not because I am hypersensitive to it but because I just can't resist it! LOL I gained three pounds and couldn't even blame it on gluten! Har! (I've lost it now.)

But I've had absolutely no problem cutting gluten out of my diet, and prior to realizing how it was affecting me, I LOVED breads and pastas. But even a tiny serving of whole grain wheat sets off a series of very uncomfortable symptoms in me, and I immediately gain 3 pounds. Totally not worth it, I don't care if it's "water weight" or fat.

I'm not an idiot - I know I'm eating fewer calories because I'm not eating foods that contain gluten, and of course that helps me lose weight and keep it off. But my point is that even when I was counting calories religiously, I wasn't able to lose weight if I ate any amount of wheat. I mean, I guess if I'd been in a labor camp eating only 600 calories a day I would have lost weight, but in my real world, gluten is counterproductive to me losing weight, just like eggs and dairy seriously impede my friends (yay for me that they don't bother me because I love me some eggs and some dairy products!).
A lot of those different kinds of sensitivities is because of modern production and processing methods. The wheat in common American wheat products is not the same wheat humans ate 2000 years ago, or even 50 years ago. It's a very, very different plant from even the wheat Americans ate in the 60s.

There are synthetic chemicals in common American foods that didn't even exist in the 60s, foods your digestive system doesn't even know how to handle, and often just tucks away in the body in long-term storage..for better or for worse.

Frequently, the "cure" is not to eschew such foods, but to find organic sources (although in some cases, like wheat, it's nearly impossible to get back to what was available 50 years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of those different kinds of sensitivities is because of modern production and processing methods. The wheat in common American wheat products is not the same wheat humans ate 2000 years ago, or even 50 years ago. It's a very, very different plant from even the wheat Americans ate in the 60s.

There are synthetic chemicals in common American foods that didn't even exist in the 60s, foods your digestive system doesn't even know how to handle, and often just tucks away in the body in long-term storage..for better or for worse.

Frequently, the "cure" is not to eschew such foods, but to find organic sources (although in some cases, like wheat, it's nearly impossible to get back to what was available 50 years ago).
Not only has the wheat plant changed over the years, the processing of it has also changed. Here is an example of the stuff that is not listed on the ingredients. This stuff is used during the processing phase of white flour which is very common in a lot of our foods, not just bread for those of you that don't realize it.

Chemicals added to White Flour

The Little-Known Secrets about Bleached Flour...

So even if you process wheat well (many do not), you have to think what else is in there besides the wheat?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not only has the wheat plant changed over the years, the processing of it has also changed. Here is an example of the stuff that is not listed on the ingredients. This stuff is used during the processing phase of white flour which is very common in a lot of our foods, not just bread for those of you that don't realize it.

Chemicals added to White Flour

The Little-Known Secrets about Bleached Flour...

So even if you process wheat well (many do not), you have to think what else is in there besides the wheat?
Drug companies are required by law to list all the negative reactions people have experienced with their drugs. Now, to be sure, only a very small percentage of people have any of those reactions, and almost nobody has every one of those reactions, and often those reactions only occur in combination with specific other conditions. But they're require to list them anyway.

The fact is: A synthetic chemical is a synthetic chemical, and food additives cause negative reactions in a small percentage of people just as drugs do. Few people will have those reactions, almost nobody will have all of those reactions, and often they will only occur in combination with other circumstances. But food companies are not required to identify them.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
There are plenty of low-carb alternatives to the regular breads, pastas, and starchy vegetables people claim they can't live without. Folks who truly want to make a lifestyle adjustment and lose excess weight will educate themselves and find these alternate foods. Others will continue to whine and make excuses. (commiseration is not a weight loss plan)

Last edited by TimAZ; 07-15-2018 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Grammar nazi

Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
There are plenty of low-carb alternatives to the regular breads, pastas, and starchy vegetables people claim they can't live without. Folks who truly want to make a lifestyle adjustment and loose excess weight will educate themselves and find these alternate foods. Others will continue to whine and make excuses. (commiseration is not a weight loss plan)
First off is lose and not loose. Not everyone has to go low carb to lose weight.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:

Right. To clarify, I eat as little processed or GMO foods as possible. I eat "very lean and clean" so to speak, but I do not avoid healthy fats, or even real sugar - I just try to keep those things as close to natural as possible and of course eat them in healthy moderation. I agree that so much of our food is modified that it's hard to even grasp.

I am going shopping today and will definitely be hitting up Natural Grocers - at least I know they keep processed foods to a minimum.

It's been very easy to avoid wheat though - no problems at all for me personally and I feel a lot better.

Also just got all my labs back and they were great so there's that.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First off is lose and not loose. Not everyone has to go low carb to lose weight.
It's a great start and will keep insulin levels in good place. We get plenty of carbs in our vegetables....

Everyone falls off the low carb intake, I will eat some bran muffins with cream cheese as a desert type thing and that bran is a carb. I buy only gluten free crackers, but they are carbs and I eat maybe 6 daily. I don't buy any bread as it's not anything I really need. Or want anymore.

For me changing foods is my salvation as I can't exercise as I have before the joint mess I live with.

Nice to correct people isn't it?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:26 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
For a month I tried walking to McDonalds and then to Burger King and finally to Hardees. I never lost any weight with all that walking and actually gained weight

Old 07-15-2018, 12:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
But food companies are not required to identify them.
I was never saying that they were required. The chemicals are still in there and the main reason they don't reveal them is less people would buy their product if they knew. That is obvious.

What we don't know can't hurt us. Is that it?

Quote:
It has been shown that alloxan is a byproduct of the flour bleaching process, the process they use to make flour look so “clean” and -- well, white. No, they are technically not adding alloxan to the flour -- although you will read this bit of misinformation on the Internet. But, they are doing chemical treatments to the grain that result in the formation of alloxan in the flour.

With so little food value already in a piece of white bread, now there is potentially a chemical poison lurking in there as well.

So what is so bad about alloxan?

Alloxan, or C4 H2O4N2, is a product of the decomposition of uric acid. It is a poison that is used to produce diabetes in healthy experimental animals (primarily rats and mice), so that researchers can then study diabetes “treatments” in the lab. Alloxan causes diabetes because it spins up enormous amounts of free radicals in pancreatic beta cells, thus destroying them.

Beta cells are the primary cell type in areas of your pancreas called islets of Langerhans, and they produce insulin; so if those are destroyed, you get diabetes.

There is no other commercial application for alloxan -- it is used exclusively in the medical research industry because it is so highly toxic.

Given the raging epidemic of diabetes and other chronic diseases in this country, can you afford to be complacent about a toxin such as this in your bread, even if it is present in small amounts?
I know we are not mice, but this kind of tells you something.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally agree that different diets work for different people. It is not a one size fits all. For years I struggled to lose weight, by counting calories. It just didn't WORK. I'd always lose the same 8 pounds - on any diet - and then stall out.

I did cut out all gluten (note - there are many breads and pastas that are gluten free and taste great, though I don't eat them all that often) and I've lost 35 pounds in 5 months. And no more bloating, gassiness, indigestion, etc! I started exercising in earnest three times a week about a year ago but didn't lose much weight, just a few pounds, doing that - though it's good for me, and makes me feel better so of course I'm still doing that. For me, the sacrifice was WELL worth it, in part because it helped me finally realize that simply counting calories in/calories out wasn't what worked well for me, while cutting out gluten gave me the results I was looking for, and I feel fantastic.

It isn't JUST gluten though - I've also upped my water intake a lot, and cut out many carbs in general, though I do eat some healthy, "whole food" carbs from vegetables and a few gluten free items. I have never been a big sugar snacker so that's helpful. Never been into sodas, so that's also helpful. Drinking about 100 oz of water a day seems to keep my system going great and it does curb my appetite. I try to drink at least one glass or bottle of water before each meal too. Very helpful.
Within the last 1-2 months, I switched to a different protein bar and, in addition to it being a zero grams of sugar bar, it is gluten free as well. I wonder if being gluten free (no gluten elsewhere in my diet) has helped get past a plateau in my weight loss .

I'm drinking the exact same amount of coffee each day, but plan to try what you are doing re water volume when I reach my goal weight (when in 'losing mode' at various points in my life, a certain amount of coffee has always been more effective (for me personally) hunger wise than significantly increasing my water intake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss