Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times

Advertisements

Like I said before I was the fat person, same friends before and after.
You are agressively defending your ways.
But its your life. If you want to stay sick and overweight and malnourished go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Congradulations!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
People don't like fat people because fat people are disgusting to look at and they obviously have a lack of respect for their bodies and their health. I do not associate with any fat person.
My goodness.

Well, the quoted post just proves that the stigma of being overweight has not ended.

What a shame.

Oh, well. I don't associate with rude or narrow-minded people.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I dont smoke I do eat right ...I have been told I have hbp & borderline diabeaties.
I weight 300 pounds & am in a wheelchair... I watch what I eat & avoid stress...take nothing but a pain pill at nite. There is no way I can loose weight. & believe me I tried.

OH when I weigh 150 pounds I had a gallbladder attach....doc said it was caused by stress. AND my bosss that was 125 pounds lost her gal bladder...she was a vegitaian!
So here again Fat gets the blame!!
Maybe I missed something. Can I ask why you are confined to a wheel chair?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
I have Arthitis in my Spine. Some morrnings I cant feel any thing from the waiste down. Those days I need assit to even go to the bathroom. Other days I can feel but so shaky after 10-15 min I must sit. I have pushed it beyond the 15 min & have landed on the floor without knowing how I got there..real scared I will break something. Tho I am Fat my bones are tiny. Thats what basicly put me in a chair.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My goodness.

Well, the quoted post just proves that the stigma of being overweight has not ended.

What a shame.

Oh, well. I don't associate with rude or narrow-minded people.

i agree it is a shame. Obese people in my town are treated deplorably. I live in a (can i say rich and wealthy) neighborhood where everyone is skinny-average like.

I dont discriminate agains Obese people. i find that people like that have more character,patience and kindness than all averaged weighted people put together.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
To all the skinnies out there --You are just player hatin. You wish you had the curves of a heavier than normal female. So check your attitudes at the door. We are on to you. Don't be hatin on my curves.....

Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM

221 posts, read 437,091 times
Its sad that obese people have convinced themselves it is ok to be obese. Obesity is unhealthy. People associate being fat with being some social class that is discriminated against. Then they think its ok to be fat and just accept that lifestyle.

Fat is not beautiful, it is unhealthy. I wish people would criticize overeaters as much as smokers. And the govt would tax overweight people.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
A co-worker of mine topped out at 325 pounds. After gastric bypass and five years (and actually doing some exercise regularly) she is 180 lbs. She is very clear to all that she has been eating disordered since early life (age 12 or so) and goes into a happy feeling, almost a swoon, when overeating, especially junk.
She said something very wise to me. "Everyone's got something, it's just that with fat, people can see it."
I do think most people who are very obese are likely eating disordered. They don't need to learn that Big Macs are bad for you. It's like telling an alcoholic "just cut that stuff out." Like other addictive behaviors, people who are eating disordered have to work on their mindset, their behaviors from hour to hour sometimes.
One difference is, you can "just stop" taking drugs or drinking. (I know, it's hardly that simple). But with food, you have to keep eating. Just differently. And food is available everywhere- it's not illegal, you don't need a prescription, its sale is licensed to bars, etc. Also, if you do begin to eat in a healthy way, you're still fat. You have to do *more* to lose weight.
I don't understand why alcoholics, etc., behave the way they do. I just know that something happens for them that doesn't happen for me around alcohol, and I know that major obesity is often a visible sign of a compulsive behavior, driven by a combination of emotions and body chemistry.
No kidding there's stigma, I'd say especially for women. No one gives a rat's butt if you're unhealthy if you're slender or "normal" weight. All this ranting about "fat is unhealthy" is an excuse to be repulsed by the visibility of someone's compulsive behavior.
I am not saying that people should just give up and be obese, any more than I think people should just go on with a self-destructive compulsive behavior. I do think there is a repulsion and virtual horror that seems to go with people's assessment of fat people.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,466 times
Overweight is a huge issue, (no pun intended), and people know the health risks, but, for some circumstances beyond thier control are unable to do somethnig about it.

My Mother in law, (May the LORD Rest her Soul), was fat, but she had diabetes and was disabled and she couldnt exercise to save her life! I found, via the radio that they had a place that did all the exercise for you, (you just layed on the tables and the tables did the work, and you just got the benefiet), but, that brought her blood pressure up so much she had to quit! It was her last ditch effort on trying to lose weight, as she passed away shortly after that, because a Doctor butchered her up and killed her off... (A diabetic cant last three years with only one kidney, and he killed one of her kidneys while operating on her for something else, and she did de, three years later...a sorrowful moment in our lives).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss