Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,178 times

Advertisements

By the way, mrs1885 I want to kiss your pitbulls face!!! Adorable!!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I live in Palm Beach County, which of course includes Palm Beach with millionaires. There are ample pit bulls in this county, which includes lower to upper class families. Your post reminds me of BSL posts, classifying certain people with certain dogs.

Last edited by flkingfan; 06-13-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-13-2010, 04:41 PM

374 posts, read 759,611 times
There is quite a diverse list of past and previous pitbull owners. Lots of upper middle class and higher folks here:

Pit Bull Awareness: Famous Pit Bull Owners - Past & Present (http://pitbullawareness.blogspot.com/2007/12/famous-pit-bull-owners-past-present.html - broken link)

Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I know plenty of non-agressive, not slum-type people who own pitties, including me. labeling people by class is so mid-20th century.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
I would say it is about attitude (respect for others) and education but many think more in terms of money alone until they run into really trashy people who have money and then they change their tune.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:03 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
I agree great pics. What a love bunny. I have to admit at one time I was one of those people that were terrified of pitties probably because of all the bad press. Having been around a few though I have changed my mind they are a great and loyal loving dog. So you pittie lovers out there you now have a convert. BoxerLady I so agree with you on the class thing I also came from a family of snooty patooties I guess you could say I am the black sheep because I am just me. I also went to school with the so called upper class and was also looked down upon because I hung with kids that were not in the realm of the snooties. I have always rooted and stood up for the underdog both in humans and in dogs. I know I got off topic for a bit there but I just wanted to put in my 2c

Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM

205 posts, read 726,451 times
A true, well bred Pit Bull is not a good guard dog - at all. The breed was originally designed to be animal aggressive not people aggressive (although BYB's have done a bang up job of messing that up). A dog fighting ring could / can not have a human aggressive dog attacking its handler - though I wouldn't blame the dog one bit if it did. Dogs that will not fight or that attacked its handler were / are culled and not allowed to breed.

I love my Peter - he is an AmStaff. He is a sweetheart that would most likely lick you up one side and down another. Thou there is one certain word that we have trained together that is his command to defend me. On the other hand, if I wasn't home with him and someone broke into the house, he'd probably open one sleepy eye and be more perturbed that you've woken him than that you're taking the silverware.

I consider myself a middle-class white female. I own Peter, American Staffordshire Terrier and Gunnar, a Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. I've owned several other Pit bulls as well, one died at the ripe old age of 14 and another "Jessie" moved out to live with my son. Oh by the way, his a white middle-class male.

In my neighborhood I am the minority, the bulk of the population is Hispanic and Afr American. I walk my dogs on leash, off the sidewalk even and folks still make like I have the devil on a rope and give me a very wide berth. I have tried to show them dogs, my dogs, are sweet but have come to a point where I honestly don't care about their unfounded media fed fears. In my immediate neighborhood there are very few dogs - or at least ones that I've ever seen. If neighbors have them, they never get outside of their back yards - poor things.

One neighbor on the other side of the block has a pit bull that I can't for the life of me even figure why he even has a dog - let alone this breed. He's terrified it will hurt someone, so he does not walk him. He's built super strong fences to stop him from escaping - and when he see's me walk my two by his house, he'll stop me to ask me questions about training and walking the dogs - but I never see him out with the dog doing anything. Now that dog, if it should get out, will be on the news. Its a pity and a shame.

Last edited by freesiia; 06-13-2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
I believe there are two classes of dogs. pedigreed dogs and non pedigreed dogs. But I think it is too difficult to class people and why do it, we are all made of the same stuff. You never know who is what, there could be a "thuggy looking" (according to your criteria) person who may just be an undercover FBI agent. You just never know....don't fool yourself.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
We are so "upper middle class" we reek of this. Graduates of colleges listed in "Americas Top 365 Clooeges and Universities", liberal leaning, tree hugging vegetarians we are into RESCUE.
NOT purchasing a Golden Retriever or a Lab from a puppy mill as a status symbol.
We have our animal companions because we rescued them.
Have people given us crap about it?
SURE - but we have the best and kindest dogs out there!
BTW there are good and bad dog owners from ALL classes!
See the poster above me.
See my neighbors. :-(

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I never see upper middle class white folks with pit bulls. Why are these dogs so prevalent amongst certain other socio-economic groups? Is it a cultural identity thing like mullets and motorcycles?
You know where I grew up... the same place you did. Hardly mullet country.

By the way, my pitty girl is tubby, low energy, sweet-natured and loves anything on two legs. So much for stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs