Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM

159 posts, read 318,218 times

Advertisements

This is so hard for me. I lost my father unexpectedly a week ago. Our dog loved him than any other human and he loved that dog. Over the last week, the dog is getting worse and worse, and it breaks my heart. He is 11 and has been slowing down lately anyway, but over the last week he has gotten much much worse.
He lays down all day and has trouble standing up. When he does stand, he goes to the door waiting for my father to come back. He hasn't touched his dog food all day. I was able to get him to take some pizza crust and french fries, but he is very slow to take them. A week ago, he would jump up and go crazy over that kind of food. I just don't know what to do. I know there is something wrong with him. I can't lose him too. I need to know how to make him feel better.

Last edited by The-Electric-City; 06-14-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
My condolences and sympathy on the loss of your father.

Dogs, like people, suffer and grieve when someone they love is suddenly gone. The added difficulty with a dog is that we can't explain to it what's happened; why, suddenly, their beloved person no longer comes home. It's a very confusing and upsetting time for all involved.

A dog suffering from a broken heart is a terribly hard thing to see at the best of times - and these are not the best of times. All you can do is to try to make the dog feel loved, wanted, still a member of the family. Try to stick the dogs regular routine as much as you possibly can - there is comfort in a routine. Don't worry if the dog is off his food for a bit; rather, just offer him a fraction of what he normally eats. If he eats it, fine, if not remove it and offer it again later. While I do understand that the dog not eating is upsetting to you, plying the dog with treats isn't the answer either.

If you can, give the dog an article of clothing that was your dad's. This will comfort the dog. It should be something the dog can keep until such time as he no longer needs it - and there is no rule as to how long that will be. Each of us - canines and humans - take our own time to grieve.

However, if you're truly concerned there might be something physically wrong with the dog, you should take the dog to the vet.

Again, my sympathies on your loss.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Im sorry for your loss and the dog is grieving your father and he should recover when his grieving is over and hope he is well soon . No telling how long that will be humans and dogs have their own time table . If you think it is going on too long you should take him to the vet . Im sorry for your loss once again .

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
A dirty shirt of your father's would be great for him to lie on and feel comforted. My sympathies to all of you.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
The-Electric-City, I am so sorry for your loss and now your situation.

The suggestions above are all very good. The items with the owners smell, keeping a routine etc are extremely important. Again, all the suggestions are good, try to follow them.

A visit to the vet may be needed, perhaps calling the vet to get an opinion on if a visit is needed,

Rich

Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I echo the above suggestions and hugs out to you on a difficult time for you and your loved ones at this time.
Please keep us updated on the pup!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
This topic reminds me of Greyfriars Bobby .

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Maybe a change in your household is in order? Maybe part of the bond with your dad was taking care of him (following him around the house when he got home). What about adopting another pet? A kitten or a puppy. A shelter cat or dog would also work as long as they had a submissive temperament and be willing to be respectful to your dog. Having a new pet in your house would help distract your dog from missing the presence of your dad so much. Right now, your household routine is the same as always, just without your dad. And your dog keeps expecting your dad to return. Tending a new animal in your house would give your dog a new job to do. It also might be good for you also to have a new young life in your life.

My condolences.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Oh! I'm so sorry for your loss!

I think that your dog is grieving, like the others have said. When my father-in-law comes to visit (once per year, for 4-5 days), Artie's the happiest guy around. Artie actually prefers my FIL over me, even though Artie is usually my velcro-friend.

When my FIL leaves, Artie is inconsolable. For a few days, he keeps looking around the house for my FIL. (Heartbreaking!) When he doesn't find him, he lies down on the floor in front of the guest room, where my FIL stays, figuring that he'll be coming back soon. (More heartbreak!)

So, for every 4-5 days of my FIL visiting, I get two days of a sad dog. But then, after a couple of days, Artie's back to normal.

It should be noted that my FIL will be here from June 27 to July 1. So... YAY (x 5 days) for Artie... and then... woe is Artie for 2-3 days.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM

159 posts, read 318,218 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. My father was always the one who spent the most time with him. I think he feels lonely without him. I am trying to be with him more. It is also helping that my uncle has been here a lot. He gets really excited to see him. He is still not eating much though. I decided not to give him any treats that way he will get used to his dog food again.

Once again, thank you everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs