Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,274 times

Advertisements

Have you gotten your dog tested to see if they have the MDR1 gene? I recently got an Aussie mix and was told to stay away from products that contain "ivermectin" or "acepromazine" because they are fatal for dogs that carry the MDR1 gene. I know you can get your dog tested to see if they have that gene, but I wanted to see if anyone else had gotten their dog tested? And if you have heard of the gene, what products should I stay away from? Also, since he's part Aussie, I'd like to get him started in obedience classes, and eventually agility classes to keep him busy and learning. Anyone know of any good classes in the area (central NJ near Princeton)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
what does this gene do or cause??

Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM

This is the info I found on it. My aunt has four Aussies and one died at an early age..they thought it may have been because she had the MDR1 gene and ate a lot of horse poop over the years which has ivermectin. If they do test positive for the gene, you just have to be extremely careful with what they eat, what heartworm medicine you use, etc. I was just curious if anyone had heard of this or got their dog tested as this is the first time I heard anything about it..the info on the gene is below:

[LEFT]"Many herding dog breeds are afflicted with a mutation of the multi-drug resistance (mdr1) gene. This gene encodes a protein (P-glycoprotein) that is responsible for removing certain drugs and toxins from the brain. Dogs that carry the mdr1 genetic defect cannot rid their brains of the problem drugs. The result is a neurotoxic buildup that can cause abnormal neurological symptoms and/or death."[/LEFT]

Old 06-15-2010, 03:09 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times
I've never heard of it but this is what I found.

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,683 times
I never got Bella tested, but was told she is a lab/blue heeler mix and when our other dog was treated for mange he was on ivermectin. I was told that Bella could not have this as it was not safe for a blue heeler or mix of. I do give her heartguard for heartworm preventative and it says that is safe because its a low dose.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I never got Bella tested, but was told she is a lab/blue heeler mix and when our other dog was treated for mange he was on ivermectin. I was told that Bella could not have this as it was not safe for a blue heeler or mix of. I do give her heartguard for heartworm preventative and it says that is safe because its a low dose.

shheewwww ... THAT is a relief ... i had not heard of this .... bailey (red heeler mix) has been on heartguard for most of her 5-1/2 years.........

Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
No issue for mine since both have had ivermectin for much of their 7 and 8 years but even GSDs can have it - I thought it was strictly collies. I will have to keep that in mind next time around.

Breeds of dogs affected with the mutant MDR1 gene. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
shheewwww ... THAT is a relief ... i had not heard of this .... bailey (red heeler mix) has been on heartguard for most of her 5-1/2 years.........
Heartguard has such a low dose that it doesn't affect them, but the dose that Buster had to take for the mange treatment was WAY high and they couldn't even have heartworm meds while he was on it, and Bella wasn't even taking it!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Jazz, Dash both part border collie and Phoenix Aussie none were ever tested but my vet has always been careful of any medicines they have had. He mentioned it being a common issue with collie type dogs. I think it causes a neurotoxicity when they get the drugs like ivermectin. MDR1 is a multidrug resistance so other drugs could cause problems too

Dazzle a Silken Windhound is a breed that also carries the MDR1 gene but he was tested as a puppy and is MDR1 clear. The Silken windhound breeders all test their puppies . WSU and UC Davis have two research projects that the Windhounds are a part of one is all about MDR1 .It is now belived that all carries of The MDR1 are descendants of a dog that lived in Great Britain before the genetic isolation of breeds by registry (ca. 1873). The gene got into the sheepdog stock so can be found in many herding breeds as many have collie in them. The other project is research being done on the DNA of all Silken Windhounds worldwide to decode the dog genome. This will benifit all breeds of dogs in the future.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for all of the info...I think I may get him tested just to be on the safe side, but I'm glad to hear Heartguard has such a low dosage since that is what he is currently on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs