Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Possibly a dumb question - but if all the convientent sources of live animals dry up, Were are people supposed to go to get pets? I'm all for rescue and plan to get our dog from the pound. But this whole banning pet store live animal sales sounds like used car folks trying to ban the production of new cars. Over time, The used car market can't exist w/o the new, right? What about turtles, and smal companion animals? Where would people go to get them. It all sounds a bit drastic.
People can go to shelters, reputable breeders, or check at their local vet's office...I always see signs and pictures at the vet of animals in need of homes. Used cars and live creatures can't be compared...cars don't have feelings or require love to be happy, and if there's an overabundance of them they don't get killed. The elimination of puppymills via taking away their most lucrative venue is hardly going to create a situation where we "run out" of animals, and it won't affect reputable breeders because they don't go through pet stores, they take the task of placing their pups very seriously and put a lot of time, energy, and heart into matching them up with good owners. This law isn't about stopping ALL breeding, it's just an effort to put the brakes on these mills and reduce the number of unhealthy and neglected animals they produce. As for turtles and other small animals that have a natural habitat that doesn't include electric light, wall-to-wall carpeting, cages or tanks...well, I won't get too preachy here, but let's just say I don't think the world will end if they stop being taken out of their natural habitats in order to be transported to pet stores so people can be entertained by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Possibly a dumb question - but if all the convientent sources of live animals dry up, Were are people supposed to go to get pets? I'm all for rescue and plan to get our dog from the pound. But this whole banning pet store live animal sales sounds like used car folks trying to ban the production of new cars. Over time, The used car market can't exist w/o the new, right? What about turtles, and smal companion animals? Where would people go to get them. It all sounds a bit drastic.
The intent of the animal rights movement is to eventually end keeping pets.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
you talk about the "animal rights movement" as if it's some monolithic entity. i'm vegan, i consider myself a believer in animal rights, and i keep pets and have no desire to see that practice end. yes, there are some animal rights activists who think keeping pets is wrong, but i seriously doubt any of them are posting on this board which revolves around pet dogs.

oc investor - believe me, we are never going to get to the point where there are no more companion animals being bred. it's unlikely that we'll even get to the point where there's no need for shelters. personally, i think that breeders should have some kind of licensing, and that should include breeders of mixed breeds. because honestly, i like mutts and i don't particularly want to see a world with nothing but purebreds.

an integral part of having "convenient sources of pets" is a homeless animal problem. the convenience of buying pets at a store leads to it, and the convenience of getting pets from a shelter is a result of it.

i don't think the bill being discussed applies to other companion animals like fish, reptiles, rodents, etc. personally, i think the breeders of those animals and the pet stores need to have stricter regulations applied to the breeding and care of their "stock", but that they should be able to be sold. there actually are rescues and shelters that take in these kinds of pets, but there's certainly nowhere near as many of them as there are dogs and cats.

other than that, i think luvmycat pretty much covered it.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The intent is to ensure animals are no longer abused, tied-up in someone's back yard 24/7, neglected, or treated like "property". Some activists are fanatical, to be sure, but most of us just want to see them get a fair chance at a happy life and be treated with kindness and respect. Puppymills are horrible places, and they make lots of money by overbreeding, inbreeding, and producing unhealthy pups...then they make matters worse by keeping these unhealthy pups in appalling conditions, feeding crap food, and depriving them of love and attention. Is this really the kind of dog a person who goes to a pet store wants? No. They usually have both medical and emotional issues, the owners become frustrated, and these pups often end up in shelters, which are already overflowing.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
My pets have always "ruled" the house, pets have been wonderful companions to humans for thousands of years.

If one truly loves a pet and treats him/her with love, care and respect, the whole "ending pets as companies bc they cannot be treated like property" makes no sense whatsoever.

Just bc there are heartless people who mistreat animals that does not mean true animal lovers like myself and millions of others should not have a right to keep a pet. My pets have never been my "property", I love them like my family!!

And if anyone comes with this idea of "no more pets in the house", I will honestly tell them to hit the road. Pets make all pet lovers' lives incredibly better!!

And people should adopt more, too.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
absolutely no one in this thread is advocating the idea that people should not be able to have pets.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I completely understand that, I was just mentioning the people who do.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM

I think a lot of people believe animal rights activists want to phase out pet ownership altogether because of things PETA has said about this...but not all of us are pro-PETA and their ideas about dogs and cats being better off to fend for themselves. I think it's incredibly irresponsible for them to advocate a world where dogs and cats just get speutered and then thrown to the streets...they are really living in a fantasy land if they think the humans inhabiting this planet will be "okay" with stray dogs and cats all over the place...haters will continue to hate, torture and kill animals. This world isn't a safe place for them to roam freely, they are now absolutely dependent on us for food, water, and shelter. BTW Groar...I love mutts too, I have a JRT/Chi mix who keeps me laughing all day long with her antics...and my mom has a rat terrier mix who is one of the best dogs I've ever met, GREAT temperament, gets along with virtually every creature he meets.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Ok...and?
The mills will still exist even after a pet store ban.
If they shut down,wouldn't they just dispose of the animals themselves?
Or just dump them at the nearest shelter?

So a pet store ban will accomplish ,what,exactly?
Your joking about this?

If not, here is the basics.
Puppy mills breed large amounts of dogs in horrible conditions.
It cost them money to operate.
They make money to pay the bills by selling to brokers, pet stores, fake resuce organizations, and fraudulent back yard breeders.
So long as they are selling, they will breed.
Cut the demand and they can't continue breeding at the large levels.
Some will no longer be profitable and go belly up.
Others will breed only for any demand.
Some will change their business model from a mill to a acceptable breeder.
In time, the whole face of mills will change because the demand isn't there.

Puppy mills are just manufactures of live animals. It's simple supply and demand, basic 6th grade economics. I don't know where all the talk about dumping comes from because it is all BS. Puppy Mills can not continue producing a product that cost them money to make if no money is coming in on sales. This is such a ridiculus conversation.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
My first dog was given to me free by a breeder, I have no idea if he was "reputable" or not. He was a pure-bred Dalmatian, but he had a pink nose (which I was told was a "disqualifying" mark, whatever that means). My second dog I purchased from a breeder. Again, I have no idea if they were "reputable" or not, but I did register the dog with AKC. He was a pure-bred Golden Retriever. I rescued my next three dogs, one from an out-of-state shelter and two from the pound. They were all mixed breeds.

When I was looking for my most current dog, I wanted to rescue him like I had the prior three. However, after my experience with several in-state shelter-snobs in my area, it put me off ever trying to get one from a shelter again. I still visited the pounds in my area, but when I could not find one that I wanted, I resorted to Craig's list.

Puppy mills provide a useful service that shelter-snobs refuse to provide. They get people who want dogs the dogs they want. As long as these shelter-snobs exist, so will puppy mills. Shelter-snobs are their own worst enemy and I will have nothing to do with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs