Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,002 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 4 month old Alaskan Malamute something mix. I've had him since he was 10 weeks old and absolutely love him. However, in the past few weeks, he's started to develop "bad" habits that need to be fixed, and I'm having an extremely tough time with him. A little bit of background, he's pretty much with me 24/7. I'm always outside in the barn and so is he. He's great with other dogs, horses, cats, people, etc. He's been with me pretty much all of the time since the day I brought him home. However, when I'm not home, and can't take him with me, I do put him in a crate (bad habit #1: chewing on the house). He does fairly well when he's in the crate, except for whining like crazy when he first goes in (bad habit #2: crying obsessively when left alone for any period of time, in a room, his crate, the car, anywhere...). He follows me around, which is wonderful! However, he recently discovered squirrels and has decided that they are much more important than wherever I am going (bad habit #3: running off and ignoring me when I call him), he always comes back, but I don't like the fact that he ignores me. Also, when he sees people, being an attention loving dog, he gets very excited and will often start barking and dancing around, but typically right into the individual's leg and then rolls over on their feet. This only bothers me because he fails to listen to me when he gets in this mindset. I'd like to identify the problem, what would cause him to do that. I never ignore him and I encourage him to be quiet each time I see him. I understand his excitement, but it needs to be toned down. The other people in my household sometimes ignore him when he's happy to see them, and I feel that this is making the problem worse and not better because he only becomes more desperate.

I'm looking for advice on how to help fix these habits. I don't really feel that they are a huge deal (perhaps normal puppy behavior, even?), I just don't want them to grow into something bigger. I've considered taking him to obedience class, but for the most part, other than what I've outlined above, he listens well (sit, stay, come [typically], no, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I highly recommend Patricia McConnell's book "The Other End of the Leash". She is an animal behaviorist and I learned a few new things in just the first 2 chapters. I got a used copy from Amazon.com but I am sure a library could also get a copy. He needs to obey you.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
I recommend the book as well.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Me three.. Great book

If you want him to come when called.. have good treats ready to give him when he does come to you after being called. He is still a puppy so he is still learning.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Yup, definitely get yourself a copy of The Other End of the Leash. I'd also always keep him on a long lead so when he ignores you, you can reel him in without having to chase him down. He will lean he MUST respond every time you call him with no exceptions.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,301 times
The book can help, however he is still a puppy and this behavior is quite normal.
Keeping him on a leash for short walks can help as you are in control and he can assimilate a word or sound to an action.He will get used to that eventually.I don't think he is ignoring you in any way,he is a puppy and is only thinking about playing and exploring.
He needs a bit time,that's it.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Having your dog around 24/7 is teaching him to be dependent -- and opening the door to separation anxiety. There are lot's of training books out there to help you deal with that -- start now. It's late, but late is better than never.

Dog training has to start from day ONE. It has to seem like a game to your dog, so make it fun. If I were in your situation, I would start this game like hide and seek. Put him in a down stay, go "hide", and then after counting to ten, call him to you. Do this several times a day, for longer and longer intervals.

If you didn't yet teach him "down" or "stay" or "come" you have some catching up to do. Don't worry. Keep at it. You will get there.

BTW -- the training play never stops. Make it fun for both of you.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM

533 posts, read 1,834,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Having your dog around 24/7 is teaching him to be dependent -- and opening the door to separation anxiety. There are lot's of training books out there to help you deal with that -- start now. It's late, but late is better than never.
I used to think it was cute when our pup followed me everywhere until he developed separation anxiety. We've worked through it with the help of our trainer and now when he follows me (which he does much less now) I tell him firmly to "Go On" and make him go the other way. He's not even allowed to be in the kitchen the same time as me unless I invite him. And for the time being, he cannot even choose to sleep near my feet if I'm on the couch...I am always the one in charge of his access to me. Sounds harsh, but it has helped us SO much!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Try feeding him in his crate, it'll help him come to like it more. Also get a kong and freeze it w/ lowfat plain yogurt, lowfat peanutbutter or cheesewhiz mixed w/ his kibble, it'll keep him busy working at getting to the food.

He's young still and has a lot of learning yet to do, all dogs get distracted easy. Train him in 15 min. short sessions and end on a happy positive note. Treats help too.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Never had a Husky but I understand that they are very food and toy motivated. I'd start wearing a fanny pack with both and training as you go along during the day. Get him to come randomly for no reason when he is not distracted often during the day, reward. A reliable come can be very hard for some breeds and Huskies are one. You have to practice practice practice. Same with sit - for when he's greeting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs