Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
do you have access to the reports as the iinvestigation progresses??
I have no access to the airlines investigation, but having done them, it's a standard process of breaking it down into individual items. That and the necropsy reports will be reviewed to see what caused the deaths. once they identify the cause and when, they will look to see if anyone screwed up, if rules were violated, or procedures not followed. They will also look to see what needs to be done to prevent it again. What i do have access to is the raw information, I know the process and where to get information on some of the things that will be reviewed.

The airline has stated that they will make the report available for the public. if there were regulation violations, most likely there will be an outside investigation and sanctions.

One thing I did notice is all the humane groups calling for additional investigations were careful to say "if the airline was responsible". They know that deaths do occur because of neglect or prior medical conditions beyond the airlines control. Although they are pounding the tables, they are also not accusing the airlines of anything until all the facts are in and evalutated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM

As some may probably be hearing, the necropsy reports were inconclusive because the puppies were so young. They were unable to determine if the heat caused the deaths. The true age of these puppies is also a subject of continued investigation.

There is also word that a second opinion over the toxicology report is underway. This usually is requested when levels of vaccines, antibiotics, or other chemicals are present way above what should be present. It could be an innocent thing like the puppies were given antibiotic shots and vaccines on the drive to the airport. There also appears to be no technical indications that the air conditioning of the cargo hold was turned off or that it exceeded safe temperature levels during the delay. But, the airline still has not ruled out heat as the cause or contributing to the deaths.

Now, there is one item that was not disclosed by the airlines when this occurred. Those 14 puppies were not the only animals transported on that flight in that cargo hold. There were other pets and animals inside the aircraft. This information was not immediately disclosed to give the investigators an opportunity to examine other animals that were not part of this shipment and to see if any of them had any unexplained health or heat related issues. Of those animals not part of the shipment, none had any health or heat related issues. This and the fact that half the puppies in that single shipment had no heat related issues when they were off loaded, requires that further investigation happen before reaching a final conclusion.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
As some may probably be hearing, the necropsy reports were inconclusive because the puppies were so young. They were unable to determine if the heat caused the deaths. The true age of these puppies is also a subject of continued investigation.

There is also word that a second opinion over the toxicology report is underway. This usually is requested when levels of vaccines, antibiotics, or other chemicals are present way above what should be present. It could be an innocent thing like the puppies were given antibiotic shots and vaccines on the drive to the airport. There also appears to be no technical indications that the air conditioning of the cargo hold was turned off or that it exceeded safe temperature levels during the delay. But, the airline still has not ruled out heat as the cause or contributing to the deaths.

Now, there is one item that was not disclosed by the airlines when this occurred. Those 14 puppies were not the only animals transported on that flight in that cargo hold. There were other pets and animals inside the aircraft. This information was not immediately disclosed to give the investigators an opportunity to examine other animals that were not part of this shipment and to see if any of them had any unexplained health or heat related issues. Of those animals not part of the shipment, none had any health or heat related issues. This and the fact that half the puppies in that single shipment had no heat related issues when they were off loaded, requires that further investigation happen before reaching a final conclusion.
I did read something about this I think it was yesterday did I read right that there were 137 animals shipped and died or was that an exaggeration? I still feel that something went terribly wrong prior to the flight and some of the puppies just weren't able to overcome whatever they were given. I would still like to hear from the shippers they have not said anything. I am wondering along with others that this shipment could have been the product of a puppy mill.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
First, those of you who say that the hold where animals are kept is not climate controlled are incorrect. Of course they are climate controlled, when you are at 20 - 25,000 feet in altitude the temp is about - (minus) 30 F. If it weren't climate controlled your dog would be a thawing "pupsicle" when it arrived.

Based on my experience traveling with dogs on planes (yes, I am one of those abusive pet owners that has pets fly with me when I move), they can tolerate a lot of heat if they are a normal breed (not short-nosed) and are in good shape and kept hydrated. I'm not advocating that they ever be kept in hot environments, but an hour on the tarmac at 86F shouldn't kill them unless they are weak or unhealthy or dehydrated to begin with. I have flown my dogs to S/SE Asia and the temp there is always high. Although I try to time my flights to arrive at night or in a season that is somewhat cooler it isn't always possible. And they are always fine. And yes, of course it is better not to do that. But sometimes there aren't options. The only time I have seen death result from heat was with working dogs my company had shipped to us in Iraq. There the int'l company that flew them in left them on the tarmac for 4 hours with no water when it was 135 F outside. You bet that can kill them.

My guess is those puppies were already ill. If you have to travel with your dog, ensure that it is healthy. As someone mentioned do not tranquilize or sedate it. Make sure it drinks a lot before it goes, and eats at least 4 hours before the flight. Make sure it has at least one dish of frozen water in the crate which will melt gradually through the flight. Make sure the crate has absorbent bedding. And make sure to carry water with you so that you can give it to your pet as soon as it lands.

There are most definitely ways to have your pet travel safely with you on flights. You just need to ensure it is in the physical shape to do so, and has all it's needs met.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM

The number sounds more like the total number of animal death claims reported in maybe a 5 year period for that airline. The number is claims of death of pets but is a bit misleading. Deaths of animals from mills are not included in the number unless the airline list them. It also includes death for animals traveling in the cabin. It will also include deaths that an owner claims is due to air travel even if the death was a week later after getting hit by a car while running off leash. If someone files a claim with the airline, real or not, it's added to the numbers. Something to think about is an airline can carry thousands of pets a week, so the number most responsible animal welfare groups look at is the ratio. Most would agree for the total number of animals carried for the distance they carry, a animal is more likely to die traveling in a car than airplane. But people are not required to report deaths in their car so they can adopt the holier-than-thou mentality.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:

thank you for the update......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I did read something about this I think it was yesterday did I read right that there were 137 animals shipped and died or was that an exaggeration? I still feel that something went terribly wrong prior to the flight and some of the puppies just weren't able to overcome whatever they were given. I would still like to hear from the shippers they have not said anything. I am wondering along with others that this shipment could have been the product of a puppy mill.
yeah, i would bet dollars to donuts that this was a mill shipment......

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
(CNN) -- Authorities were investigating the deaths of seven dogs after an American Airlines flight to Chicago.

Flight 851 was an hour late taking off from Tulsa, Oklahoma, Tuesday morning, according to Mary Frances Fagan, director of corporate communications for American Airlines.
The airline's website says pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is warmer than 85 degrees at any location on the itinerary.

The Dallas Morning News reported the temperature at Tulsa International Airport was already 86 degrees at 7 a.m. before the plane's departure, and 87 degrees at 8 a.m.

Seven dogs dead after American Airlines flight - CNN.com

Those poor dogs and pet owners losing their pet. This is inexcusable!
The only airline I would ship a pet on is Delta. They are the only ones who heat and cool the luggage area where pets are shipped.

busta

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The only airline I would ship a pet on is Delta. They are the only ones who heat and cool the luggage area where pets are shipped.

busta
That's a myth.
All commerical scheduled passenger airlines heat and cool the cargo hold where animals are transported. Delta is no different than Continental which is no different that American which is no different than United which is no differnt than...... Do you have anything to dispute that fact?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
That's a myth.
All commerical scheduled passenger airlines heat and cool the cargo hold where animals are transported. Delta is no different than Continental which is no different that American which is no different than United which is no differnt than...... Do you have anything to dispute that fact?
I totally agree.
I have put pets on: Delta, United, Northwest, Singapore, and Thai. All are temp regulated. Animals would die if they weren't.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM

Look at this link for United, it mentions a heated and pressurized hold:
United Airlines - Traveling with Pets, Airline Guidelines & Breed Restrictions

I thought this was interesting for puppy travel, by Continental:
Continental Airlines - Recommendations for Puppies

Really, it's insane to think that an animal could be on a flight in sub-zero temps. ALL airlines have pressurized and temp controlled holds for animals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs