Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,842,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
that's a mighty big (and unsubstantiated) leap you are making.......
Paranoia doesn't have to be logical.

I still don't understand what puppy mills have to do with farming...

Quote:
A new ballot initiative, called Proposition B, would limit breeders to 50 breeding dogs. That would put breeders like the Schindlers out of business.
http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-puppy-mill-expo-closed-081010,0,5749993.story (broken link)

If it puppy mill bill really does help get rid of puppy mills, then I'm all for it. I seriously doubt any possible consequences to legitimate breeders will outweigh the benefits of getting rid of puppy mills.

I'll be honest, I don't know if the HSUS has corrupt people in it. Most organizations do. But if this initiative benefits dogs, then I'm good with that. It's not like it will suddenly make the HSUS all powerful. Hopefully once the flood of breeders giving up dogs ends, then the numbers of dogs in this state will decrease and the breeders who are still around will provide adequate living conditions. In the end, this bill seems beneficial. Any later legislation toward this issue will probably not happen overnight and I would assume some votes would be needed. So it's not like we have lost all control.

This paranoia regarding government control puzzles me. If a bill is beneficial, but there's a 1% chance that government could gain some control then suddenly it's all panic.

It would be hard for local shelters (even non-HSUS ones (we don't even have HSUS in my area, just a few local, overrun shelters)) to have much of an impact on dog populations when puppy mills are cranking out dogs by the dozens to people who eagerly pay hundreds of dollars for each. Regular pet owners not spaying and neutering are a problem, the cost of vet care, and the lack of shelters are a problem. Puppy mills make everything worse.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-03-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Sure. its not the dog breeding that the law is being put in place for, it is to set up a precedent so that laws can be created without the consent of the people, you know?
How does this bill cause us to lose control of our government? We've been passing regulatory bills since the country began. We still have democracy. It's not like this is going to end that.

There's regulation in every aspect of our lives, from car insurance, to taxes, to some suburbs that tell you how tall your grass can be. I don't understand the outrage over one more regulation, especially one that can be so beneficial to dogs.

If you stop the puppy mills, or at least reduce their number, dog populations will decrease. That's a good thing. Maybe it'll make it a bit easier on our shelters in the long run.

All my life I've been hearing "Well Bill Clinton (or Barrack Obama) is gonna take away our guns!" Hasn't happened yet. I doubt this will cause us to lose hunting, either.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Have you seen this about [URL="http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2010/09/dogs_rescued_reinforce_need_for_prop_b_092210.html "]puppy mills in Missouri?[/URL] Is anyone from Missouri who can chime in on this? Puppy mills are despicable no matter where they are, and I cringe when I read about their treatment of our sweet angels in fur coats. For a time we had dognapping going on here in Phoenix. They would steal intact females and breed them till they dropped from exhaustion, then toss them out the window like trash when they couldn't get them to breed anymore. I just don't understand how people like that can sleep at night...
Stories like this sicken me! It should be as illegal as dog fighting!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Interesting article about some dogs who were rescued from that puppy mill near Mexico, MO
36 dogs get new leash on life in puppy mill rescue - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article237784.ece - broken link)

I could understand those who say the law isn't effective. We shall see if it is or not. I don't subscribe to the idea that this will end hunting and farming. That is a stretch. But if this bill stops even a few irresponsible breeders, perhaps it is worth it.

Interesting article here as well
Quote:
It should be noted that in the past three years 15 other states including Virginia, Louisiana, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania have passed similar laws regulating and limiting dog breeding operations. And contrary to statements by opponents about its huge cost, the Secretary of State's office has estimated that the law will have no effect on taxes.
Proposition B is not a sinister plot

Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Interesting article about some dogs who were rescued from that puppy mill near Mexico, MO
36 dogs get new leash on life in puppy mill rescue - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article237784.ece - broken link)

I could understand those who say the law isn't effective. We shall see if it is or not. I don't subscribe to the idea that this will end hunting and farming. That is a stretch. But if this bill stops even a few irresponsible breeders, perhaps it is worth it.

Interesting article here as well

Proposition B is not a sinister plot
that article says that about 200 of the Schindler dogs went to rescues.... that leaves 600-800 (i have heard that this place had 800 and i have heard it had nearly 1,000 dogs .... both figures from reliable sources..... wonder if ANYbody really knows how many dogs these people controlled) that went on to other millers to continue the cycle.... ..... the females that were in heat or already bred went for more money than the rescues could afford to bid......

Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,562,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Well Prop B passed. Let's hope that it does what it is suppose to do and shuts down the puppy mills and not have all the bad consequences that have been feared.

I did read that the shelters might get inudated with dogs because a lot of breeders do not think they can afford to conform to the space requirements and they might have to give up their dogs. It doesnt take effect till Nov 2, 2011 so maybe it wont be so bad.
I volunteer with a rescue that gets most of our dogs from Missouri. We are already swamped and being inundated with requests to take more dogs because of this.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Hopefully that will just be temporary, though. Unfortunately, some dogs will probably be turned over to shelters and pounds in the immediate future because of this. But if it decreases the amount of puppy mills, it may be worth it eventually. Temporarily I could certainly see some negative side effects.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM

604 posts, read 751,311 times
Quote:
How does this bill cause us to lose control of our government? We've been passing regulatory bills since the country began. We still have democracy. It's not like this is going to end that.

There's regulation in every aspect of our lives, from car insurance, to taxes, to some suburbs that tell you how tall your grass can be. I don't understand the outrage over one more regulation, especially one that can be so beneficial to dogs.

If you stop the puppy mills, or at least reduce their number, dog populations will decrease. That's a good thing. Maybe it'll make it a bit easier on our shelters in the long run.

All my life I've been hearing "Well Bill Clinton (or Barrack Obama) is gonna take away our guns!" Hasn't happened yet. I doubt this will cause us to lose hunting, either.

I never said Obama or Clinton are going to take away our guns.
One of HSUS' goals is to end hunting, and the other, animal agriculture.

Why do you think the bill passed 52% - 48%??
What sucks, is there are people voting on this, that won't have to pay the taxes that this initiative will add, and I'm unable to vote when I will have to pay the taxes...

The SADEST part is, if you look at a map of MO that voted yes/no, only HIGHLY populated places voted YES, you know, the places that DONT farm...

Why would people vote NO? You think we hate puppies? Why would we make this up?

I don't know why your talking about losing control of our government....
So beneficial to dogs haha... we'll see in a few years...
Well, not sure where else it's passed but
California, Ohio, Florida, Texas, and now Missouri, have had HSUS come in and pass laws... Illinois has fought against them and won, and it was on the ballot again after that...

Why would we say NO?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,562,483 times
Quote:
Hopefully that will just be temporary, though. Unfortunately, some dogs will probably be turned over to shelters and pounds in the immediate future because of this. But if it decreases the amount of puppy mills, it may be worth it eventually. Temporarily I could certainly see some negative side effects.
Hopefully. Of course, I doubt anything will change the throwaway mentality people have, especially with beagles.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

604 posts, read 751,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Hopefully. Of course, I doubt anything will change the throwaway mentality people have, especially with beagles.

I want a beagle! My parents say they bark too much though

Read an article that said it'd be a very bloody year for Missouri if they start finding the puppy mills, because pounds etc will be overwhelmed and forced to euthanize...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs