Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,851 times

Advertisements

I've got a 14lb Chihauhua/Rat Terrior mix who is really aggressive towards most other dogs. He will bark, approach and often deliver a bite to the snouts of undeserving dogs... and he seems to get worse the more I try to socialize him.

So I'm thinking of putting a muzzle on him on days when he will meet alot of dogs. Maybe this will allow him to "rub shoulders" with other dogs and find out they're not so bad. And I don't believe most dogs feel self-conscious, so I'm not worried about embarrassing him.

How does this sound to the dog people out there? Will it make him more angry?

Note- he is fine with humans and cats...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
my first reaction is that muzzling could make him MORE frightened and reactive..... one of my dogs is very reactive toward dogs we pass on our walks (that he doesn't know or hasn't "met") when he is on his leash.... he's just fine when loose in the dog park, although he does get overwhelmed when there are more than a few dogs in his immediate area...... it is TOTALLY fear based and i am hoping he outgrows it as he turns 2 in the next couple of months.....

Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
You only going to make it worse. Sounds like FEAR Aggression. Have you worked with a trainer? Or better yet went to Obedience classes with him? 1 Teach him to listen & trust you no matter how scared he is.... 2 He will get much needed socalizing with others dogs that are Hopefully under control!!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You only going to make it worse. Sounds like FEAR Aggression. Have you worked with a trainer? Or better yet went to Obedience classes with him? 1 Teach him to listen & trust you no matter how scared he is.... 2 He will get much needed socalizing with others dogs that are Hopefully under control!!
That's just it Katie, I did take him to a highly-regarded (and expensive) 3 week obediance training program. It worked very well for his sitting, walking, staying, etc., but basically failed to socialize him. The program did introduce him gradually to other dogs.

I guess it is fear-based aggression but I swear it's partly joy-based... he seems to eagerly seek out these encounters! The more dogs he meets or smells, the more he likes the walks.

But maybe the muzzle will make it worse, and maybe he'll fight it and just fixate on getting it off...

Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,960 times
Yeah, the muzzle is not a good idea. It will just add anxiety to an already anxious dog.

How is your demeanor when your dog greets other dogs? If you are anxious, your little dog will feel it too.

It takes patience, positive reinforcement and consistancy to get the kind of response you desire from your dog. When our nearly blind MinPin is meeting a strange dog on our walks, we say in a happy tone..."oh its a baby" or "who's this new baby?". Anything my husband and I tell our dog is a baby, she immediately becomes relaxed and happy to meet and greet.

Your dog is probably very social and just wants to make friends. He just doesn't know how to introduce himself properly.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Yeah, the muzzle is not a good idea. It will just add anxiety to an already anxious dog.

How is your demeanor when your dog greets other dogs? If you are anxious, your little dog will feel it too.

It takes patience, positive reinforcement and consistancy to get the kind of response you desire from your dog. When our nearly blind MinPin is meeting a strange dog on our walks, we say in a happy tone..."oh its a baby" or "who's this new baby?". Anything my husband and I tell our dog is a baby, she immediately becomes relaxed and happy to meet and greet.

Your dog is probably very social and just wants to make friends. He just doesn't know how to introduce himself properly.

Good luck.

hhhmmmm ... dave met his first human baby a few months ago and was absolutely FASCINATED..... maybe i should start calling the other dogs babies......

Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Remember its NOT what you say its the TONE of your voice when you say it!! 3 weeks is NOT enough time to get to know class mates muchless how to meet & greet them! I would try another class & trainer!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
I wouldn't let him get up close and personal with every dog you see on your walk either. Especially if he's being aggressive; he might pick up the wrong guy and compound his fear!

Try distraction with treats. Everytime you see a dog approaching; distract him with treats. Pretty soon, he'll associate an approaching dog with yummy treats.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I wouldn't let him get up close and personal with every dog you see on your walk either. Especially if he's being aggressive; he might pick up the wrong guy and compound his fear!

Try distraction with treats. Everytime you see a dog approaching; distract him with treats. Pretty soon, he'll associate an approaching dog with yummy treats.
Hmm, interesting, that might work... but he might also get huge from the extra calories

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Nah, he won't. Make sure they are really loooonnng walks. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs