Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

If you're only running out for 15 minutes, why not just leave her loose in the house? A 3 year old dog probably can handle that, as long as things are reasonably dog-proofed and she pees before you go out. Or at least gate her in an area like a kitchen or a bathroom. Ditto for work.

Crates aren't something you have to use forever unless the dog is destructive when left alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi jones 06 View Post
I have a 14 week old pitbull and we have been trying to housebreak her we put down puppy pads and everything we bought some spray and sometimes she will use them and sometimes she does not when she does I praise her but now she is starting to pee in my bed and in her kennel what do I do about her I got her plenty of toys I have even started feeding her in her kennel and it's not helping
Without knowing your regular routine, it's difficult to respond. Do you rely solely on puppy pads in the home, or do you have a routine whereby the puppy is taken outdoors immediately upon awakening, after meals, after a short playtime, before bed at night, etc.? I've never used indoor pee pads, as I believe that they can actually be detrimental in the house training process. If the puppy is taken outside and encouraged to pee at every opportune moment (as already cited, in italics) I do believe this sets the puppy up to understand better when and where they are expected to eliminate.

Pee pads (imo) teach the pup that it's okay to urinate indoors (albeit in a defined area)...but then they have to be retaught to go outdoors when the owner wants to stop using the pads. Also, when taking a puppy outside to pee, the pup should be kept on a leash in order to give better control to the owner, esp. if you want to assign a certain area for bathroom activities. Letting a dog go outside on its own - a common thing for those with new pups - doesn't actually help to teach the pup what is expected of them. But monitoring them via a leash and being out there with them the entire time, and giving verbal commands, and praise when they do go, tends to be the best way (imo) to house train a new dog.

It's possible that you aren't taking your puppy out often enough. Or perhaps the puppy isn't being given enough time to go once you have her outdoors...it's quite common for a dog to take several 'leg lifts' to fully eliminate their bladder. For a young dog, elimination can involve several daily trips outside. Exercise too - in the form of walks and playtime - can encourage the pup to go. Personally, I'd get rid of the pee pads and start over, focussing instead upon teaching the pup to go outdoors.

*bookspage, this was an old thread that dates back to 2010 and was revived; I doubt the OP will respond.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Hey all,

I have a 3 year old dog (female, fixed) that i've had for about a year now. She's crate trained and enjoys being in her crate.
What makes you think that she enjoys being in her crate?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi jones 06 View Post
I have a 14 week old pitbull and we have been trying to housebreak her we put down puppy pads and everything we bought some spray and sometimes she will use them and sometimes she does not when she does I praise her but now she is starting to pee in my bed and in her kennel what do I do about her I got her plenty of toys I have even started feeding her in her kennel and it's not helping
Are you taking her outside to pee at all? She doesn't know what the puppy pads are for unless you teach her to use them. How often are you taking her out? You need to take her out often and praise her when she goes outside. Personally I think using puppy pads makes it harder to housebreak a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs