Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 PM

177 posts, read 416,663 times

Advertisements

Hi! Congratulations to both you and Maynard on his adoption!!!

The first thing I was going to mention is to defintiely have a urinary tract infection ruled out. This is so important. You might also ask your vet to place him on antibiotics for a UTI even if the tests comes up negative, or you could have them repeat the test with another sample since a false negative may be possible.
Even if the housebreaking includes going poop as well, it could still be the urinary tract infection since eliminating is eliminating,do you know what I mean? It's just going to happen with #2 as well, it's just kind of what very often occurs.
The importance of this is 1st for the sake of getting it treated,but also if it's something the dog cannot actually prevent due to frequency and urgency - the key symptoms, along with a darker urine.

The other thing that was mentioned in the posts and is very good, is to use a special cleaner, like the Miracle cleaner sold at pet stores.

The crate, well I would think it could possibly cause anxiety. Do you know about crate training - training to make the crate a place he looks forward to?
I'm iffy about using the crate, it depends, but only you know the vibe you're getting from him. Either way, there are things you can do to help recondition Maynard to seeing the crate as a good place.

The other thing I want to mention and that I did with my first greyhound, was use words to match what he was doing, so actually as he was going potty I'd say "makin' a pooty,go pooty" while he was going..... and then "Good Boy!!!
And then after he finished and a great and happy praise for a job well done, *Back In the apartment We'd Go*! Happy!
I feel this is an important part of housebreaking training, that being, to go back in quite soon after. It's the last memory the dog has as to being outside, the pottying and praise; the perception and most recent event of a great mission accomplished.
Hopefully I was somewhat clear anyway!

YYAAAAYY for Maynard on his loving forever home!

Last edited by nyfreesia; 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
...unless you put a leash on him and keep him with you at all times while getting the training down. Remember he wants to please you

This is very good advice and has been another successful way to potty train.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
I dont think I'd monitor the water either unless he's an excessive drinker, esp. if you live in a warm climate. That said though, I'd pick it up overnite. Would also use something like Natures Miracle or Resolve (orange bottle) or something geared for dog urine to clean up after him to help him avoid the tendency to 'mark' the area. When ours were young and unreliable, we gated them in the kitchen with us (we spent a lot of time in the kitchen back then) to help us keep a close eye on them, in fact we still close the bedroom doors and take them out fairly often (and they're definitely not young anymore) just to be on the safe (and dry!) side, LOL. He's young, am sure he'll figure it out w/ your taking him out often and feeding him once or twice a day which shoudl help him get on a schedule, keep a close eye on him after he eats, when he starts circling and gives you 'that' look (no matter how subtle!).

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,755,223 times
Thanks again all.

Maynard has had a check up so no urinary problems. I really don't think that he had ever been housebroken before. His sheet from the shelter said that he was found as a stray, with extremely long, matted hair (which had to be shaved) and then he spent three months in a concrete cage. So, I'm thinking that my baby boy had been on his own for quite a long time.

He's only had one accident today. I let him sleep on the bed again last night with no harm to my duvet. After his months in the shelter, he really, REALLY hates the kennel and even with yummy treats and toys to lure him, he will not step a foot in it voluntarily. So I've been keeping him close and watching his behavior. When he gets the slightest bit antsy, out we go. If he goes, I praise him effusively and give him a nibble of cheese. However, neither my son nor my fiance are using the cheese and I doubt (even though I've asked them to do so many times) that they are praising his outside performances when they walk him. Still, he's a smart dog and I think that he will eventually get it.

Until that day, Nature's Miracle is my friend. Makes me long for the hardwood floors in my house in Wyoming!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM

Maynard update:

No accidents in the house today and his ears actually perk up when I say, "Let's go outside and potty!" And then he does.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel......

Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,363,785 times
With my dachsies I would take them out (when I was home) every hour and half to every two hours. Take them out more than they even need. They will "get it" although our dog took 6 months to get the hang of it. And sometimes does very occasionally have accidents - mostly on weekends when their schedule is kind of up for grabs somedays. (rarely peepee though). Ours took very well to a very to a very strict schedule.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Maynard update:

No accidents in the house today and his ears actually perk up when I say, "Let's go outside and potty!" And then he does.

aw, that's really great!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,021,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

For sure!

Glad to hear the update!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks for all of the advice folks! Maynard is now completely housebroken. I and my carpet are grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs