Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

Oh come on now. The question was about the name kibble not for another chance to pounce on those feeding it

Well I have fed raw for a number of years (about 7) and I feed kibble and I really cannot tell a difference (Other than my dog who ate raw the longest died young of hemangiosarcoma and developed a severe chicken allergy, my large dogs fed kibble all their lives lived to be 15 and 14, respectively, and my current working dog at 8 is going strong and has only been fed kibble and my female who was fed raw as a puppy (and yes I know about meat:bone ratios and also supplemented with green tripe ) - she wound up with severe HD

About the ONLY benefit I have seen from a raw diet is you don't have to brush their teeth.

For God's sake who cares if you are a happy raw feeder but, reallly now.....most folks who have made a conscious decision to feed kibble don't go running around telling raw people how bad their dog's diet is.... but for many raw feeders it becomes a religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
but for many raw feeders it becomes a religion.
Like vegans...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think to differentiate it from canned/wet food....(or whatever else you are feeding)

When I am telling someone I need dog food, I don't say I'm running to the store for some kibble! But when discussing dog food in a forum where there are many different food options, kibble just clarifies what is being discussed....
best explanation i've seen so far.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Because no one wants to feed their dog something called dog food. If it's not good enough for you, it's not good enough for your dog and calling it "dog" food implies it's not fit for human consumption.

Kibble, pellets...I've heard it all!
i'll remind bailey and dave of that the next time they find something in the woods that is YUMMY by dog standards but that i would not touch with a 10-foot pole......

or when they steal the next chipmunk that max catches.... momma wouldn't eat that, so its CERTAINLY not good enough for you two!!

mind you, not that i WANT them to eat these things and i usually get them away .... but the few times that the dogs have been successful (from their point of view), they have been no worse for wear.....

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

mind you, not that i WANT them to eat these things and i usually get them away .... but the few times that the dogs have been successful (from their point of view), they have been no worse for wear.....
My MB eats poop, he likes all shapes, sizes, colors...he's not picky at all. Which makes trips to the dog park very annoying, since many don't pick up and I refuse to pry poop out of his mouth with my bare hands!

If given the chance, I'm positive he'd eat any small animal he finds, he's just that type of dog. I've met plenty of dog owners at my friend's store who said they wouldn't feed their dogs anything not labeled human grade because if it's not good enough for them, it's not good enough for the dog. I'd love to know how many actually eat the kibble when they get home!

And, no one is arguing raw vs. kibble? MB is on Orijen (kibble, pellets, whatever you wanna call it), PC is not. Like I said, even though Orijen claims to be human grade, I won't be eating that any time soon!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
And, no one is arguing raw vs. kibble? MB is on Orijen (kibble, pellets, whatever you wanna call it), PC is not. Like I said, even though Orijen claims to be human grade, I won't be eating that any time soon!
I can guarantee you I won't be eating deer hearts and stomachs, chicken bones, or green tripe anytime soon either though my dogs sure ate them

However, I have eaten hot dogs in the past and still eat ground sausage once in great while though I refuse to eat the form of chicken in chicken nuggets (the manufacturing process is enough to make you gag) --- some people may be better off eating kibble than some of the processed stuff that passes for human food.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I can guarantee you I won't be eating deer hearts and stomachs, chicken bones, or green tripe anytime soon either though my dogs sure ate them

However, I have eaten hot dogs in the past and still eat ground sausage once in great while though I refuse to eat the form of chicken in chicken nuggets (the manufacturing process is enough to make you gag) --- some people may be better off eating kibble than some of the processed stuff that passes for human food.
Deer hearts sound good, actually! I may be odd, but I love hearts and grew up on chicken, turkey and various other hearts.

My mom still eats tripe and I want to gag every time I smell it!

I (and both my dogs) eat hot dogs, but they have no nitrates, expire within days of purchasing from the butcher and have only beef as the meat. I'm sure the Oscar Meyer stuff has a lot more than that, but we don't eat stuff like that in this house!

And yea, there is nothing "chicken" about chicken nuggets! So simple to make and grill your own, yet most will not.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think to differentiate it from canned/wet food....(or whatever else you are feeding)

When I am telling someone I need dog food, I don't say I'm running to the store for some kibble! But when discussing dog food in a forum where there are many different food options, kibble just clarifies what is being discussed....
Exactly! I also use the term "dog food" when running to the pet store for some. When asked what I feed, I mention the dry brand of kibble I mix w/ the other holistic brands which aren't dry.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i'll remind bailey and dave of that the next time they find something in the woods that is YUMMY by dog standards but that i would not touch with a 10-foot pole......

or when they steal the next chipmunk that max catches.... momma wouldn't eat that, so its CERTAINLY not good enough for you two!!
That's funny! Certainly our dogs don't have the same high standards of demanding food suitable for human consumption!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is this a regional slang word for dog food? People don't call it that where we live.

It always strikes me as strange when I read people referring to dog food as "kibble" on this forum.
i live where you live and i've heard plenty of people refer to it that way.

i use it to distinguish between sadie's fancypants dehydrated food and her, well , kibble.

collectively, those things are dog food but dry is kibble and wet is wet.

yogurt and chicken and whatever are also dog food if i feed them to a dog!

Last edited by groar; 01-07-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
Dry food is referred to as Kibble in the UK for both dog and cat dry food.

A good kibble means a better quality food, one that has a higher meat content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs