Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
you should have seen the day I left her outside when I went to work. Came home, dogs were outside, let them in, noticed candy wrappers on the floor. I think, maybe my boyfriends home early and I missed his car. Walk around, no boyfriend. Then I see an empty pie shell that used to be an entire strawberry pie, I just bought the day before. Thinking, ok either the ghosts got really hungry (my house was built in 1888) or I have a hungry robber in the house. Keep looking to see what else is missing. hmmm, who cleaned out the litter box...yep doggies broke in, ate candy, pie, and kitty poop and then went back outside like nothing ever happened!

That is how I found out she can eat chocolate.
LMAO, my dogs can eat chocolate too. I had pancakes with about half a pound of chocolate chips in there, went to the the kitchen to get some milk and came back and both mine and my fiancée's pancakes were gone. They don't get sick from it at all.

My little one was a litter box diver too, and I guess trained the big one to do it too. so now we have to set up an obstacle coarse for the cats where they have to jump a fence to get to the litter boxes.

I tried the bagel trick and it doesn't work at all with my dog. he is the sort of dog that hedges his bets and weighs the benefits and punishments, and for him the benefits of the bagel is worth more than the punishments, so when those cans come a crashing, he takes off....with the bagel. Yes he was scared for a second, but at least he got a fat bagel as a reward. For him the trick is maintaining his "I didn't do it" poker face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
OHmigosh I have a big guy that does the same thing only in the kitchen. I just cannot leave a block of cheese out on the counter and leave it because when I come back it is completely, totally gone 3 seconds flat. That boy can polish off something on the counter and leave no evidence whatsoever. He also goes after the trash can, his legs are so long he can just go up to the can and look in and garbage shop. I have come home to all kinds of stuff that has been drug through the entire apt. He has this sheepish look on his face like "look ma what I did all by myself". I have since learned not to leave anything out and make sure the trash is out and the waste basket is placed up somewhere high.
lol, mine ate a freshly cooked pork tenderloin in less than a minute. He must not have chewed because I was not gone for a minute and all that was left was the pan it was in, licked clean. That thing smelled good too I never got a taste

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, mine ate a freshly cooked pork tenderloin in less than a minute. He must not have chewed because I was not gone for a minute and all that was left was the pan it was in, licked clean. That thing smelled good too I never got a taste
LOL it is kind of a shock isn't it? You don't know wheather to scream or stand there kind of dumfoundedat least that is the way I have felt when something is inhaled in one fell swoop.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
LOL it is kind of a shock isn't it? You don't know wheather to scream or stand there kind of dumfoundedat least that is the way I have felt when something is inhaled in one fell swoop.
well, my Fiancee was the one doing the yelling. I was on the verge of tears. You see my fiancee cooked it and was letting it cool. but it smelled so good that I wanted a taste. just a little bit. But I didn't want to be yelled at so I I left it alone. I took the little one out in the yard to pee. we walked 5 steps out, he peed, we came back in, and the big one is curled up licking his lips and the Tenderloin was gone. Like magic. If I had snatched a piece, I would have gotten away Scott free. I never got a taste

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
you should have seen the day I left her outside when I went to work. Came home, dogs were outside, let them in, noticed candy wrappers on the floor. I think, maybe my boyfriends home early and I missed his car. Walk around, no boyfriend. Then I see an empty pie shell that used to be an entire strawberry pie, I just bought the day before. Thinking, ok either the ghosts got really hungry (my house was built in 1888) or I have a hungry robber in the house. Keep looking to see what else is missing. hmmm, who cleaned out the litter box...yep doggies broke in, ate candy, pie, and kitty poop and then went back outside like nothing ever happened!

That is how I found out she can eat chocolate.
WOW!! ... the ONE time bailey got into chocolate, she was sick in EVERY single room of my house while i was at work the next day.... poor thing was SO humiliated, she would sit nearby as i was cleaning, but couldn't look at me.....

i have caught dave pulling open the drawer in my nightstand to search for my reading glasses..... thank goodness i can get them at the dollar store.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I know several people that used this method and it worked wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DSPN...mbedded#at=137
brilliant!!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Too funny about the dogs opening the door. My wiem can open the patio sliding door if it isn't locked.

She is a counter surfer too. She will use her paw to get food I try to keep out of her reach. Does not matter what it is as long as it is food. She amazes me at how far she can reach.

I tried putting empty soda cans on a piece of duct tape across the counter. All that did was get in the way and of course you had to remember to put it back and then there was the problem of the tape sticking together. I may have to try the bagel and the cans although I have a feeling it will just make her not want a bagel.

The other day she jumped up and got a new loaf of bread, luckly I got it from her before she could do much damage other than a few smushed pieces.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM

288 posts, read 692,944 times
MAK, that's a great video you posted! I will try that with Marley.

He is an expert at countertop surfing, his last 'victory' was my crock pot along with the contents, full leg of lamb

He has also widened his expertise into trashing the kitchen bin. Do I pay if I forget to put the kitchen bin outside!!

I was greeted with this delight when I came home on Monday. I had made a mental note to change the bag when I got home as it was trash day, I forgot, won't do that again!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2974.JPG
Views:	1425
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	74742

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
OMG Marleys Mom! Have you seen those simple human trash cans? I know some dogs can still get into them, but they are supposed to be dog proof!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
My Doberman would get into the trash, so I put a little hot sauce on top and he never touched the trash again. When we travel and stay at a motel I have to pick all the trash cans up and put them up on the counter. Finn seems to think his job is to go around and empty them all.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
MAK, that's a great video you posted! I will try that with Marley.

He is an expert at countertop surfing, his last 'victory' was my crock pot along with the contents, full leg of lamb

He has also widened his expertise into trashing the kitchen bin. Do I pay if I forget to put the kitchen bin outside!!

I was greeted with this delight when I came home on Monday. I had made a mental note to change the bag when I got home as it was trash day, I forgot, won't do that again!!!
Attachment 74742
woof!! makes me glad that bailey is afraid of the kitchen trash can and dave limited himself to the small, uncovered can in the bathroom!! and he's even outgrown that now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
My Doberman would get into the trash, so I put a little hot sauce on top and he never touched the trash again. When we travel and stay at a motel I have to pick all the trash cans up and put them up on the counter. Finn seems to think his job is to go around and empty them all.
sounds like he is on security detail.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs