Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:48 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Do you let your dog bark incessantly at your neighbors? If so, then yes, I think that is irresponsible. I am of the opinion that the excuse of "dogs just bark" is a bad one. You are welcome to disagree with my opinion, that is your prerogative and the very nature of opinions.
To answer your first question, no, I do not let my dogs bark incessantly.
And I don't believe that anyone else stated that they do either.
Thanks for giving me the run down of what opinions are ...lol

Quote:
Reading through with the (IMO)unbiased eye of a new-to-this-forum reader I felt a great many posts had a tone that was both surprising and disappointing TO ME, in my opinion.

EVERYONE is welcome to disagree with my opinion, WE ALL have the right to share our opinions and stand by them even if they are unpopular amongst the City-Data PETS forum lovefest.

You're right...it is *your* opinion. ...and I totally understand your *sarcastic* one at that. Be the rebel that you are...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
I've said, I'm happy to agree to disagree. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
We probably all have slightly differing opinions about how much barking is too much.

If my dog sees my neighbor and gives two barks, is that too much?

What if my dog barks six times?

Should there be zero barks? (Ideally, I suppose so)

I guess one barometer is "has anyone complained to me about my dog's barking?"

I know I've made subtle hints (and some not so subtle) to my neighbor about their tiny dog's continual barking whenever I'm on that side of my yard.

I've come right out and said "yeah, ever since you put in your glass front door, she sees my every move out here, she barks up a storm." Do you think he gets it? No. All he hears is 'cute, cute, cute, my dog is so cute when she barks!'........lost cause !

Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We probably all have slightly differing opinions about how much barking is too much.

!
Is there a "Bark-o-meter" out there ?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Quote:

I know I've made subtle hints (and some not so subtle) to my neighbor about their tiny dog's continual barking whenever I'm on that side of my yard.

I've come right out and said "yeah, ever since you put in your glass front door, she sees my every move out here, she barks up a storm." Do you think he gets it? No. All he hears is 'cute, cute, cute, my dog is so cute when she barks!'........lost cause !
I agree, you can't put a number on it so it.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,647 times
There is alot of talk about noise ordinances, but they generally do not apply to dogs. However, disturbing the peace generally does. If the guy is running his mower it should not apply, if he his having a glass of tea it probably does. Another thing to consider, if the guy is serious, he could initiate a civil action against you. That would be way more costly than a new privacy fence.

For the poster that put up beware of dog signs, bad idea. Check with your insurance company, you may have lost your liability coverage with those signs. That is admitting you are aware your dogs are agressive, and limits your defence if they bite someone, dogs bark and they also bite, even the good ones.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times
I was told to put up signs that say Beware of Dogs because it let the kids and the neighbors know that dogs can and do bite, even the best of dogs, so they would not aggravate my dogs by throwing rocks and sticks at them. I have four dogs and they have not bitten anyone but I am careful and like to warn people that dogs can be a problem.
Everyone who loves dogs knows that if a dog is provoked it often strikes back, that's why the signs. If my dogs were to bite someone my insurance would go up and probably another reason for to cancel the policy. Letting people know to stay away from the dogs is a good idea.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I was told to put up signs that say Beware of Dogs because it let the kids and the neighbors know that dogs can and do bite, even the best of dogs, so they would not aggravate my dogs by throwing rocks and sticks at them. I have four dogs and they have not bitten anyone but I am careful and like to warn people that dogs can be a problem.
Everyone who loves dogs knows that if a dog is provoked it often strikes back, that's why the signs. If my dogs were to bite someone my insurance would go up and probably another reason for to cancel the policy. Letting people know to stay away from the dogs is a good idea.
I worked as an investigator for a major insurance company. Liability wise the signs will hang you in civil court, period. The signs may, probably will, negate your liability coverage, leaving you alone with judgement and the fees. Your reasons are good natured, but what about the child that can not read. The signs are your admission that you know the dogs bite and/or are aggressive. This negates your "first bite free" defence. Again check with your insurance company, the claims division, or a local attorney about liability. The signs are always a bad idea legally, period.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
I worked as an investigator for a major insurance company. Liability wise the signs will hang you in civil court, period. The signs may, probably will, negate your liability coverage, leaving you alone with judgement and the fees. Your reasons are good natured, but what about the child that can not read. The signs are your admission that you know the dogs bite and/or are aggressive. This negates your "first bite free" defence. Again check with your insurance company, the claims division, or a local attorney about liability. The signs are always a bad idea legally, period.
Great info Crashcop, thanks !

What about a sign that said something along the lines of "Dogs At Play"? I've seen those and they look cute (I don't currently have any signage). Would they hurt your case also?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Great info Crashcop, thanks !

Quote:
What about a sign that said something along the lines of "Dogs At Play"? I've seen those and they look cute (I don't currently have any signage). Would they hurt your case also?
I have never seen those signs, I believe they would not harm you in a liability action. It would be wise to check with the claims division of the insurance company you use for your homeowners/rental coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs