Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Cows are treated terribly in the US. Have you seen Food, Inc.? They are slaughtered alive, no compassion whatsoever. Do a YouTube search and you can find videos of the slaughters...the sound the cows make as they meet the blades is not one you will soon forget!

And rabbits are usually skinned alive/electrocuted so as not to destroy precious stew meat.
There is a tendency to look at how other treat their food but ignore how our own food is treated. If the standards we want to place on other countries are placed on our own food production methods, we will starve.

Can't rep you until I spread more around so take this as a rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
There is a tendency to look at how other treat their food but ignore how our own food is treated. If the standards we want to place on other countries are placed on our own food production methods, we will starve.

Can't rep you until I spread more around so take this as a rep.
I think because it's a dog, something we consider to be family...that's what makes it appalling to people.

I'm sure those in India are appalled at the way cows are treated here!

And we finally agree!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

Another one on youtube is one of Palin's when she was Gov forgiving a turkey all the while behind her other turkeys are being slaughtered.

oh lordy, i do remember THAT.....

Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Cows are treated terribly in the US. Have you seen Food, Inc.? They are slaughtered alive, no compassion whatsoever. Do a YouTube search and you can find videos of the slaughters...the sound the cows make as they meet the blades is not one you will soon forget!

And rabbits are usually skinned alive/electrocuted so as not to destroy precious stew meat.
I never said cows were treated well in this country; I was focusing on the reason why these activists intervened IN CHINA.

I know very well how poorly *some* cows are treated in this country. Not every slaughterhouse in the U.S. is inhumane, the same way that not every farm is a factory farm.

And regardless of how animals are treated in this country, it doesn't excuse mistreatment in other countries, or mean that people shouldn't speak out or act against it. I'm not going to stop criticizing for fear of being a hypocrite, although I'm the first one to criticize inhumane practices in this country as well as in others.

Why is it that people think that inhumane treatment in the U.S. means that we have no precedent to criticize animal treatment in other countries? Quite frankly, I believe in criticizing it everywhere.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Wasn't it in China that someone recently paid the equivalent of something like a quarter to half a million dollars for a dog??

Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM

99 posts, read 531,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
and that's after they've been forced to live in cages with little food and water.
I would like to see where you got this information. If I was going to eat a dog, I would feed it up nice and fat so it would be juicy and delicious. Why would you starve a dog so it has no meat or nutrients if you were going to eat it?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM

some asian cultures believe that an animal that is tortured or killed in a brutal and painful manner has better tasting meat.....

Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Even here in the states, Kosher (Jew) and Halal (Islamic) killings are allowed. It is considered a religious kill. The animals are not stunned but are in the standing position and have their throats slit and they are bled out.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
This entire thread brings to mind this image. If you watch any of the Travel Channel shows (Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern) you've undoubtedly seen them in countries where questionable things were served. As Anthony has said, it's extremely rude to turn down food prepared by the locals in their home. He's eaten his share of questionable things so as not to insult the hosts.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM

was that picture REALLY necessary??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs