Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM

237 posts, read 967,725 times

Advertisements

I have a 15 year old dog. He does not seem to be suffering physically. Still gets up on his own. Can walk fine. Still likes to eat. Still once in a while gets a burst of energy and will run around the room. But other days he is more withdrawn. Somedays he sees me and I get to his level and talk and he gets so excited. Some days I get to his level and talk and he seems scared and will run away from me. I know he has limited eyesite at this point. He was always a nervous dog since day one. But now you have to walk real slowly and softly around him when he is up or he will get scared and run. I kinda feel like im thinking of putting him down for me because I get so disappointed and sad when he doesnt have a good day. He doesnt go to the park anymore due to his eyesite and he wont let me put him on a leash so I cant take him for walks up the street. My husband says let him be. Any advice, thanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Listen to your husband for now. He's doing better than my old dog. Talk to the vet. There might be medication to help him with his emotional/mental challenges.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Listen to your husband for now. He's doing better than my old dog. Talk to the vet. There might be medication to help him with his emotional/mental challenges.

I agree..listen to your Husband.. be supportive of your old friend. I wouldn't give him meds tho just another intrusion in his already dimminished sense of security IMHO..just love him. You did not mention his breed..some breeds (Chihuahua's for example) have been known to live 20-30 years. From what you describe he has a pretty good quality of life ie walking,eating, etc...He may have some dementia as well as limited vision, so at this point I would always go to his level when you want to interact with him..if he shys away thats your cue.. but leave a treat where he can get it to show love. If he becomes aggressive at times when otherwise he would not have..that may be the time when you have a decision to make, but otherwise, just love him. Said with Love..Chany

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I have to agree at this point I would just let him be.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I also agree. He still has quality of life and still engages with you. We had a discussion like this on another thread. It sounds like the old boy is still very much in the game!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM

237 posts, read 967,725 times
Thanks everyone, well I brought him to the vet to rule out and diseases for the panting and pacing the last couple of nights. So they did a full blood work and are also checking for cushings since he has some skin issues. Right now he is calm as can be because he fought them tooth and nail for the blood. They said he has a lot of strength for a 15 year old dog!! Pretty much his site is bad which I already knew. So that could be making him anxious. So she told me if the test come back good just take it day by day and there is stuff you can give a dog for dementia but its expensive. Thanks for the support. Mindy

Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I have to agree with your hubby too. I asked here 'How will I know?' Everyone said 'You will know'. They were right. My dog got to where he couldn't stand up to eat, he would poop lying down. I knew it was time..

Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Another vote for agreeing with your husband...and I am not one to be heroic about letting a pet linger on in distress or pain. From your description he is neither, so I agree with letting him dodder on for a while yet.

Glad you took him to the vet....was the dementia medication they suggested Anipryl?

((hugs)) it is a tough place to be, with an elderly pet!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM

88 posts, read 236,769 times
Here is another vote for your husband's advice. I would let him be. From your posts, it seems to me that he still enjoys life & he is eating.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
I got great advice on CD regarding a similar issue with my "old girl" a few months ago. I swear we thought we'd have to put her down when the vet said she had a collapsed trachea and was too old for repair via surgery. He said the best thing to do is to keep her calm and let her do, and eat, whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. She has never really accepted the rest of the pack, so it was easy to keep her separated and calm.

Also, advice from this forum is her three favorite things... she still loves food, treats, belly rubs and to sleep at my feet. She has never embarrassed herself and still goes out, mostly on her own but sometimes she has to be carried (cataracts)... still, she is a good girl and all we can do is be thankful she is still with us. Honestly, we thought we'd lost her a few months ago, so every day is another day chock full of love and treats and belly rubs.

You'll know.

Edit to add: she still smiles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs