Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times

Advertisements

I found a chart posted on a Dog Rescue sight which rated most dog foods. I feed my golden Kirkland Signature Brand Chicken, Rice and Vegetables (Costco).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,281,937 times
Science Diet large breed variety. My cousin who is a vet says this is a good food. On the not so healthy side of it........my dog also gets some meat scraps which he dearly loves.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
I feed Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato -- this is a Costco Brand -- right now b/c I've fostered an allergic dog recently and the dogs love this stuff; I have a couple of foster puppies and the kibble is small, too, so that's nice.

Since I have two older dogs -- whose weight I watch carefully -- I also like Authority (Petsmart house brand) Lamb or Chicken and brown rice for weight control. I don't buy the senior food b/c I foster a variety of dogs and I like everyone to eat the same thing.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,250,956 times
Shadow eats Taste of the Wild. She loves the Pacific Stream formula, but really does not much care for the other flavors.

In the past we have also had good results with Solid Gold Wolfking.

Read the ingredients panel on the food. Just like people foods, ingredients are listed in the order of content (highest content of the first ingredient, second highest content of the second ingredient, etc.). The first 5 ingredients are the most important. If there is a grain, a gluten, or any type of by-product in those first 5 ingredients it is not a good food. Ideally you would see a meat meal as the first ingredient or at least a meat.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,948 times
Bandit moves around amongst the 4-6 star foods: Avoderm, Wellness, Inova, Taste of the Wild, etc. He's been on Taste of the Wild lamb for the last 8-9 months. Sibes have a naturally efficient metabolism, so even though he weighs 72 pounds, he only needs 2 cups of kibble per day. A 30-lb bag costs $48 and lasts 2 months.

I supplement with a lot of fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, and he occasionally gets raw meat as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
right now i free feed (works best for my dogs) kirkland chicken and rice(though im hoping they get in the grain free soon (natured domain) i like kirkland cause it follows my 4 rules.
1: ingredient #1 is MEAT,
2: NO byproducts (in petfood byproducts are the likes of beaks, feet and feathers ect)
3: NO CORN
4: NO SOY

i also give them raw (prey model) occasionally.

once i get my own place with enough room for a full freezer to dedicate to the dogs ill be switching them to prey model raw full time.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,696,654 times
I have another 12 year-old dog, a husky, who gets Natural Choice Large Breed Senior. I like it because it contains joint-friendly glucosamine & chondroitin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I supplement with a lot of fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, and he occasionally gets raw meat as well.
I like that idea. I'll try it today. I think I'll also see how my dogs like munching on a few frozen veggies as treats.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,129,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Science Diet large breed variety. My cousin who is a vet says this is a good food. On the not so healthy side of it........my dog also gets some meat scraps which he dearly loves.
For your own information please check this food out on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble . and Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

I think you'll be as surprised as I was back when I checked it out.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
remmeber though, dogs in the wild would not eat fresh veggies (though dogs do love carrots and berries) their stomachs cannot digest cellulose, so it comes out the exact same way it goes in unless you make a puree out of it first.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,948 times
Quote:
remmeber though, dogs in the wild would not eat fresh veggies (though dogs do love carrots and berries) their stomachs cannot digest cellulose, so it comes out the exact same way it goes in unless you make a puree out of it first.
Maybe Bandit's stomach is special. The only veg that comes out undigested is raw carrots. He gets a steady supply of frozen green beans and broccoli and fresh strawberries and apples (no seeds), and those never show up in his poop. He loves raw carrots -- probably because they're crunchy -- and I do see the orange, undigested evidence of these in his poop. He doesn't have digestive issues. A couple times a year he may have inexplicable diarrhea, but I wouldn't link it to his fruits/veg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs