Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

I have a 110 pound GSD that I know is getting a little tubby, but, I'm wondering how much to feed him. I'm sort of thinking my husband is overfeeding him Please share what you feed your dogs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Not all food measures the same amount. One brand may call for X amount and another Y amount. Start by making sure your following the guide for the brand and variety of food your feeding. A very active dog may need more and a lazy dog less. There are some foods made for weight control for when a dog needs to consume large amounts of food but don't need all the stuff that makes them fat. You need to also check the extras they get. You may be feeding the right amount of food for the dog but if they are also getting side treats and other stuff, you have to add all of it together to figure out the right amount.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
PF is correct. The amount fed varies widely based on the food itself. In general, the lower quality foods have higher recommended feeding amounts than the higher quality foods.

But, to answer your question, I have an 80 pound Golden mix. I free feed, but we go through a 17 pound bag of food on average every 3 weeks. We only eat treats that are very low in fat like kangaroo tails and sting ray.

As our dogs age we need to adjust the amount we feed. Senior dogs that are less active need less calories than younger highly active dogs.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
My dogs get a little less than the recommended feeding amount on the bag and they get healthy treats through out the day. They both got a bit chunky for a while and this seems to keep their metabolism up and their hunger down.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
My dogs get a little less than the recommended feeding amount on the bag and they get healthy treats through out the day. They both got a bit chunky for a while and this seems to keep their metabolism up and their hunger down.
I be honest here, its really the extra stuff we forget about that can make them go from sleek to bubble butts.
A treat here, some scrape there, and whatever they find on their own, can add up.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
She's a large Pit/Lab mix. One half cup of kibble twice a day. She used to get double that, but she had become quite tubby.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Artie weighs 35-37 pounds, depending on how much he's fidgeting on the scale at the vet's office.

He gets 1 cup of kibble (currently Orijen) in the morning.
He gets 1 cup of kibble (again Orijen) in the evening.

Mixed into that Orijen is a quarter to a half of a hamburger and about a teaspoon of pulverized food topper (currently PureBites liver), so that he'll actually EAT said kibble.

He will also get 4 chicken jerky treats per day, 2 baby carrots, 3 or so little liver treats, and a crunchy treat. He'll also snack on the bone that he's working on, during the course of the evening, if he's in the mood and if there's any meat left on it.

If he was a sedentary dog, I know it would be too much, but he's VERY active, constantly running around the backyard. We also go on about 5-6 walks per day.

Also, Artie only eats when he's hungry. He's a very finicky dog -- hence all the extras that I mix in with his kibble -- but he's been known to skip some meals when he's just not in the mood.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
daves weighs about 55 lbs and bailey SHOULD weigh about 50 lbs ..... they each get about 2/3 cup of nature's recipe kibble in the morning and in the evening.... the bag recommends 2 cups per day for dogs their size... i also put about a tablespoon of plain, non-fat or low-fat yogurt into their kibble.....

their treats are diced chicken gizzards......

they will also each get a raw beef soup bone about once a week or so.....

we are trying to get some weight off of bailey and i am anxious to see if this is working..... in combiination with letting her run off leash some again.... will take her in for a weighing in about 2 weeks or so...... she is a dog who REALLY needs exercise to keep her weight at a good level.....

Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Oh man my husband is giving Storm like five cups of kibble two pieces of cheese and a few treats a day (i'm guilty of the treats as well). My hubby thinks Storm is highly active but he isn't My hubby just noticed (finally) that Storm looks a little tubbish

Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Three year old golden, gets 1-1/2 cups twice a day of LIGHT food. We walk her usually two miles every day and in spring, summer and fall is very active outside. She has maintained the weight of 61 lbs. which the Vet feels is good for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs