Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 60,086 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I've been reading this forum throughout the summer and have read a lot of good advice. I really need help and any advice anyone is willing to offer is greatly appreciated.

I adopted a 5-yo lab-mix rescue 3 months ago named Daisy. She has suddenly stopped wanting to go on walks. For 3 months, she enthusiastically bounded out of the house for early morning, midday, after work, and nighttime walks. Even though she is timid indoors, especially around my husband (we've just started working on her fear of men issues with a trainer), she was always excited to go outside with either of us, great on the leash, and willing to go for an enjoyable 45-60 mins and happily trot back home at the end.

She is a timid/fearful dog, but made steady progress getting used to her new home. Because she has always been more confident outdoors, this very sudden change of not wanting to walk is especially troubling. Plus, she came to us overweight from foster care, so she really needs to exercise. This issue started suddenly last Friday and we've only been able to get her beyond our block 3 times total and with a lot of pulling. So it's Day 6 now, and this morning not only didn't she want to walk beyond our block, she didn't want to come back inside either.

I'm frustrated and worried about her. Her paw pads are fine, she's not limping or favoring any foot/leg, she's eating, peeing, pooping normally and her indoor behavior hasn't changed. There's no new construction in our neighborhood. Nothing is different outside as far as I can see.

Thanks for listening and any insight offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Something must have frightened her on her last walk? Maybe the door is what is bothering her? Any man come to the door, knock loudly, or make a strange noise?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Something is making her uneasy. What, is the big question and you may not be able to sense what it is. I would try reversing her course, bribe her with her most favorite treats and try playing games to keep her mind occupied on new things. Do a big happy dance with her when you make it to another block, your neighbors will think you're nuts, but the positive energy will hopefully help with her fears.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM

91 posts, read 268,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Kopecky View Post

She is a timid/fearful dog, This issue started suddenly last Friday and we've only been able to get her beyond our block 3 times total and with a lot of pulling.

Something is bothering her. She may have perceived something to be frightening that you didnt notice or even think of as a threat. We had to deal with a rescue puppy who thought trash cans were scary. I would also look her over again, did you check ears?

I would assume that you are trying to get her to associate good things with husband? Do the same for the walks, dont pull her around. If she likes food give her part of her rations on each walk rather than giving her meals. If she has to be pulled to make it 3 blocks then go 2 or 1 or how ever far she is willing to go. Make it fun happy and rewarding even if it isnt as much as you want her to do. Stay within her comfort zone.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
My rescue dog Kimora is like that...she was abused by the previous owner... anytime a person has a broom or brush in their hand, she would run outside, to the patio. It took her 3 years to learn no one was going to hurt her.....your dog is skittish bcs of something in her memory, that happened...keep working with her

Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
I like the idea of taking an especially yummy, just-for-walkies treat along...hot dogs, cooked chicken, like that. Another thing you might try is a clicker; they're about a dollar at pet stores.

I had a shelter dog who severely lacked confidence when I first got her...a lot of things made her anxious. I also think that obedience training goes a long way towards building confidence. Maybe a good group obedience class that emphasizes lots of positive reinforcement?

How does she do if you put her in the car, drive a few blocks, then get out and walk? What sort of collar or harness are you using?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 60,086 times
Default thanks for responses

Thank you all for responding.

SouthernBelle - I live in an apartment building, so I called to see if any workers were around that day, but nothing was scheduled.

Codydog - Yes, the pulling was a mistake. I've stopped doing that b/c it was most likely making it worse.

I had a long talk with the trainer (whom we just brought in a week ago to help us with her comfort level INSIDE the house & with husband). She doesn't know Daisy well yet, but had some good insight. She agreed on no pulling and just letting her stroll where she wants. She said try to reduce stimuli around her - stay to quiet streets, for instance, since she is overwhelmed by something else already. Even if she's only out for 5 mins - as long as it's positive experience - it's a good thing and can be built on. Use chicken to add a positive reward if she makes it to the end of the sidewalk, end of the block, etc. She thinks we should still work on our exercises indoors and that will help build her trust in us and her self-confidence and should help outdoors, but she said we will probably never know what caused it.

Daisy did better last night and this morning using all your suggestions, so thanks! I want her to have a peaceful life (she had a rough start). She's very timid indoors, but progressed so quickly outdoors and walks seemed to really make her happy. I hate to see her lose that.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Thank you for rescuing her! Don't lose heart and don't give it. As long as you are making progress forward, she is in rehabilitation...and sometimes, that is not measured in time but the progress itself. To be honest, it is easier to rehabilitate an "aggressive" dog than a fearful one but that does not mean it can not be done, it just means you must be willing to put the time and patients she needs into her...and she WILL come around.

Thank you for reaching out and asking for help this forum, there are some great people, pack leaders and dog lovers here. Thank you for talking with a trainer about Daisy, she has a loving pack-leader (YOU) because you are trying to solve her issues not only with her fear of men but now with the fear of the world. Kudo's to you!

I like the idea of extra yummy treats for her walks, no matter how far you get (a house, block or mile away) when you hit a mile stone, offer up a little treat. You know, you can dice up chicken pretty small, so she not getting big pieces but they are still encouraging. Matter of a fact, you could stay on your block alone for an hour walking back and fourth if she is comfortable there while you rebuild her confidence. Praise goes a long way when used at the right time. Pretty soon, you are two blocks away and then back, then three and so fourth.

Here's the key. Watch her body language. If she starts to tense up, turn around and walk the other direction. Learn to read her. Dogs are excellent at reading us, we need to become better at reading them.

Now when you walk her, is she at your side? Before all of this started, did she walk out ahead of you, sniffing? Crisscross all over? Did she walk beside you or behind you? What about with your husband?

What kind of collar did or do you use? What about her lead or leash? Are you in a quiet neighborhood or around busy streets? (A car could have back fired and scared her.) How does she do with thunderstorms?

Does she like to play ball? Does she have toys in the house she likes to retrieve for you? Do you have a yard? Perhaps you could do some of her exercising there? Do you own a treadmill? You could tread train her, that would be not only physical but a psychological builder.

Would love to hear more.

"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!"

Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Sorry, meant to say, don't give up!

Have you spoken with your vet? Perhaps there is something going on, on the inside? (However, with the normal eating, peeing and pooping...sounds like it could be psychological.)

Something interesting, you said she is *normally* timid inside but was more than willing to go outside with your husband...but is fearful / shy of men.

Does she balk at the idea of going outside with your husband now? Does she go willingly at first and then hesitate, once outside?

It is not uncommon for dogs to be shy around some men especially if they are big, have deep booming voices, wear caps, etc.

Something you may try when you are ready for a walk is to make sure you are completely calm and assertive. Go to your "happy place." Whatever is going on inside of you will transfer down the lead/leash to Daisy. If you are worried or anxious about her and how she's feeling, she will know and she will become worried and anxious about you. She needs you to lead her and she needs to know you are in control so she can relax and enjoy the walk. If she is timid, fearful and shy, she needs to know you are in control and can take care of her and a calm assertive pack leader can do that. YOU can do that.

So before your next walk, take a few deep breaths, relax. Head up, shoulders back...you are the queen of your castle and she is your princess. But don't just think it...believe it. You have to convince her! Remember, she is an expert at reading human body language. She has a leg up on you, already. LOL

If her issues are psychological, then you have to use dog psychology, not human psychology. That means we need to think more like the wolf/dog pack and less like how we (humans) would communicate with one another to fix a problem.

Speaking of which...we need to do less speaking with Daisy (unless giving praise). On the walk, try to use more body language than words. When you see she is getting uptight, using words to console her will only make it worse. It may help you or make you feel better but it does not help her. She does not understand nor connect the dots. When you see her withdrawing, getting uptight, not wanting to move forward, instead of talking, turn around and walk the other direction. What she is telling you with body language is "I am not comfortable. I don't like this, it is scary." When you turn around and move the opposite direction without words, you are telling her, "I understand, let's move back into your comfort zone and work there." No words need to be exchanged and there is perfect understanding. You will see her relax and she will be able to move forward.

Again, measure her success in progress (forward progress) and not time. Time is not the issue and you have all the time you need to make her life better. Really, it does not matter if it takes years, after all, Daisy is worth every moment you put into her...and she will be give back so much more.

You will never be able to measure what she give back in return.

It is my personal belief that rescues know you have truly saved their lives and what they give back in return cannot be measured on any scale. They teach us so very many lessons in life, we cannot begin to count them all. We only know we have been blessed with their presence...and with a gift from above.

The hardest part is when we must return that gift, for it is only on loan. We are not usually ready. Our hearts have grown so very attached, and it aches for years after they depart from our lives. However, we are left with the wonderful memories, their dignified or goofy personalities, how they made us laugh from the belly and most of all, how they loved us without condition.

Truly, it is all without measure.

Again, Daisy is blessed to have you.

All three are rescues...the one on the far right recently passed, I had to return her, a gift I was not ready to return...I miss her beyond words...
Attached Thumbnails
Rescue dog, suddenly changed behavior on walks - advice?-spanky.jpg   Rescue dog, suddenly changed behavior on walks - advice?-diesel.jpg   Rescue dog, suddenly changed behavior on walks - advice?-loving-memory-tara-baby-1998-2011.jpg  

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 09-08-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,469 times
Hmmm, Shep did something like this, only it started 2 weeks after we brought him home. he got slower and slower, and finally started pulling backwards, sitting down. One day I actually saw his tail tucked between his legs, and he was slightly shivery. I couldn't see anything he might be scared of except a neighbor's dog, who would sometimes escape his invisible fence and come bounding out to sniff. he was never aggressive though. Just sniffed a lot, then when Shep bounded up to play, went back home.

I asked around for advice, but finally decided to follow the principles of the Dog Whisperer. So I just kept coaxing and gently pulling him along, immediately letting the leash go slack whenever he started moving forward on his own, cheering him on. But no affection, no "awwww, what's the matter??" Just kept moving forward. It took about a week of this for him to get back to normal.

Sorry! Just recalled there WERE two things Shep was very scared of at first. Storm drains and cars, even ones not moving. Occasionally on walks one would go by, and he'd stop dead in his tracks and refuse to move until it was long gone. And in the beginning the storm drains were very noisy because it was spring thaw. So it's possible he may have gotten spooked by these things and just didn't want to go. Eventually though he got over it. he was willing to go on walks/runs again, but it took a while longer to get over moving cars.

ETA: just wanted to add that Shep is also a timid dog. Very submissive with every dog he meets. he is only very friendly with people, when they come to the house. On the street he is more wary. Luckily some of my neighbors know dogs very well and never push a meeting on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs