Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times

Advertisements

I got a puppy from a shelter and after training and behavior modification, we still have a behavior problem I can't correct. My vets (and me) feel that someone experienced with this breed of dog who is a better match for its temperament can probably work with it succesfully. Its breed was unknown at time of adoption.

After quite a search, I finally found a rescue who will take the puppy with whom I am happy about. (I have also rejected offers by individuals who I felt were not suited to take the puppy.) The foster home will be far away, but the organization has a national network. I have spoken with 2 of the individuals, including the potential foster mother and am awestruck by them. I have googled their organization and individual names and found information about them but absolutely no problems, no trace of unethical practices (breeding mill, experimentation, etc.). I have seen their postings regarding rescue activity on forums. I have read their adoption contracts and love their provisions. I have checked that they are registered as a charitable organization. They are very small and seem like a tight network. I can't think of anything else to do to make sure they're ok in terms of reputation. And they are doing me a favor...I don't want to anger them by being appearing overly picky.

The thing is, there is no way, due to distance, that I can check out the foster home in person. They use a transport system, using volunteers, to move the dogs from where they are to the foster or forever homes, so I will only meet a "transporter" face to face. For breed-specific rescues, this is common. I have everyone's emails and phone numbers and we have been very open with each other about issues and procedures.

Frankly, I don't feel like I have many other options, but I want to make sure I have done everything I should to make sure the puppy is going into good hands, which I feel is the case. I cannot take the dog back to the shelter; they will euthanize it due to its behavior issue and even if they did accept it back for readoption, the pup needs behavior work which 95% of adopters would not have. There is no $ being passed except whatever I will choose to donate, which has not been discussed...I don't even have to donate anything. I was very happy when I found these people, but now the skeptic in me is saying, "do your due diligence and be sure about them."

Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I should do to check them out before they take the puppy? Please don't respond by bashing me for giving up the puppy - I am already heartbroken and have tried my best. I saved it from a shelter and the match with me is bad. I am trying to make its life a success story and cannot manage the behavior issue which will only get worse over time if it stays with me. If it's not correctable, they will do the responsible thing. We have discussed that, too.

Thanks in advance for constructive advice on anything else I should do to check out the organization. I want my puppy to have the best possible chance and don't want to have regrets if I forget to consider something I should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Check them through this outfit:
GuideStar - Top 500 Viewed Nonprofits, page 7

If they have a non-profit status and/or charitable status as you said they do, you can find them.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I don't know what else you could do, but perhaps someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
You are doing the best you can for the puppy. I can't think of anything else to check. At some point, you are going to have to trust them to do right by the puppy, since you can't travel there. Please be happy you have worked somthing out for everyone!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Just to agree with both of the above - you have done all you can and, at the end of the day, you are just going to have to take that leap of faith that in this instance what you see is what you (and the dog) will get.

Look, this isn't a perfect world and situations don't always work out the way we hope and envisage they will. But I think you need to truly realise and appreciate that you are doing ALL that you can to ensure the future welfare of the dog. Your dedication to this task is commendable and you need to know that you should come away from this without regrets.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
"The thing is, there is no way, due to distance, that I can check out the foster home in person. They use a transport system, using volunteers, to move the dogs from where they are to the foster or forever homes, so I will only meet a "transporter" face to face. For breed-specific rescues, this is common. I have everyone's emails and phone numbers and we have been very open with each other about issues and procedures."

While I can't speak for all, most rescues do home visits on their people before they are able to foster. I know they came to my house to make sure it was an appropriate environnment to foster dogs. I also had to fill out paperwork which included my vet so they could make sure my own animals were up to date on all their vaccinations and what not. I also had to provide reference and a whole host of information.

As for the final destination the same thing applies. A home visit is done on the owner and a vet check when other animals are involved. They also go through a one on one interviewer. Most are not just doled out to just anybody.

I hope this eases your mind in this difficult decisions.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Just to chime in with all of the above. It sounds like you have done all you can possibly do...This, by far, is not a perfect world, and sometimes these things just don't work out. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
yeah, i think at this point you know enough about the rescue to know that they're going to check out foster homes as well as they check out adopters. all i can think of to do, if you haven't already, is ask the rescue what their policies are for screening foster homes. you could also ask them if you can talk on the phone to the foster family your dog is going to. you may have already done these things, i'm not clear on that.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Bless you for realizing you and the puppy weren't a good match and going "to the wall" to place him properly.
I can't add anything to the good suggestions already made. Best wishes.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Agree with the rest and wanted to add, you must have an incredible dog if you were able to turn rescues away. I work with hundreds of them across the country and have yet to find one that's looking for dogs to take in. Everyone I know of is packed beyond capacity.

Sounds like you've done all you can do. In most cases I'd tell people to do what you've done and if it looks good and they're willing to take in the dog jump at the chance because seldom can rescues do that. Sounds like you've got a rare and excellent situation.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times
Quote:
Agree with the rest and wanted to add, you must have an incredible dog if you were able to turn rescues away. I work with hundreds of them across the country and have yet to find one that's looking for dogs to take in. Everyone I know of is packed beyond capacity.
First, thanks to all for replies. All points duly noted and the support is appreciated like you wouldn't believe.

To clarify, I haven't turned rescue orgs away (well, one kind of...) I know the rescues (bless them) have their hands full and don't really want to deal with behavior problem animals when there are so many dogs without such issues who need homes. I have turned away private parties who wanted to adopt the puppy. I didn't feel confident that, with their circumstances, they could handle the issues and my goal is to maximize this pup's probability for success and prevent constant changes in homes (i.e, stop the "pass the problem around" syndrome). And this rescue is picky about adopters and enforces its return clause. So fingers crossed for this puppy! And again, thank you very much for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs