Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

A woman at work took in 2 mini dachshunds in hope of find a home for them easily (they are about 6 months) but it hasn't been so easy.
I googled and came up with several rescues, but I'm a little leery. There have been several fairly big ugly rescue operations busted here in the last year. Many many dogs and cats living in terrible terrible conditions. At least one of these was on petfinder. This area is just freaking saturated with unwanted pets. (Dayton OH) as I suppose are most areas.
Anyone have any personal rescue org recommendations? PM me any you know of to say away from.
I must say, I thought the little dogs went so fast but the dachshund rescue pages I was looking at seemed to have a lot of selection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
they do go fast ... well, relatively speaking.... but the little and fluffy ones are also favorites of the byb's and mills...... so they just keep crankin' 'em out....

i have transported for doxie rescues.... let me see what i can find and i will get back to you......

Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I'll PM you....I know someone very active in the Toledo area in rescue, and I've transported for them.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
If you have an animal that is a "high demand" (such as a a cute puppy pure breed) placing them isn;t going to be hard. So using a breed specific resuce isn;t as important as if you had a 5 year old mixed mutt. In a case like you have, contacting the local, established, well respected and verfied agency that works with animal adoptions can be the better way to avoid a horrible situation.

Where I live we have a few rescue organizations but the main (no-kill) shelter is the humane society that services the tri-county area. They have waiting list of potential screend people looking for specific breeds or who are looking for certaimn sizes etc. Since they are well known and involved in many animal welfare and spotion issues, they are the most trusted pet adoption agency in the area. You may alsi find that even if they are crowded, because of the pre screened waiting list, often times the animal is onlyt here for a few days of routine adminitrative and medical clearence before a group of people are waiting in line to adopt them.

You dont; need a specific rescue or breed specific rescue if you have a high demand pet. All yuo need is to make sure the adoption agency is well respected.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
There's a Humane Society here that I think works really hard and does a great job considering. Don't know if they have any lists, we can check. My only issue with them is that they don't screen. I don't know of any? many? that screen like the breed rescue orgs do. I'm not trying to criticize I know they are fighting a hard battle but if there is an option for an org that screens I personally would prefer that.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There's a Humane Society here that I think works really hard and does a great job considering. Don't know if they have any lists, we can check. My only issue with them is that they don't screen. I don't know of any? many? that screen like the breed rescue orgs do. I'm not trying to criticize I know they are fighting a hard battle but if there is an option for an org that screens I personally would prefer that.
if not comfortable with thei screening, by all means use someone else. Just make sure the screening isn;t too harsh. there was a legnthy thread on here about the over screening that resuts in dogs being cages for too long or bumped from foster home to foster home. Always ask about the screening process to make sure its what you feel comfortable with. remember, no all shelters, humane organizations and rescues operate the same. What happens in one place may be the opposite in another. All yuo can do is speak to them. Some breed specific rescues are so overloaded they adopt to any Joe Shmo who walks in and other humane societies and shelters have very strict rules, so go by what your LOCAL agency does, not by what others do thousands of miles away.

Another thing about generic adoption agencies is that people are coming to look for a pet. Since they are no stuck on a particular breed, you have more people as potential new owners. A person who's looking for a small dog may not care if one breed or another, they are looking for a dog they want to adopt regardless of the breed.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 09-27-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Shelter generally don't do screening other than perhaps checking with a vet if current or previous pets are listed on an application. But if someone knows that going in it's easy to claim they don't have any pets and then they walk right out with the dog. There's no home visit to make sure it's going well and they usually don't require them to be kept as indoor only pets, something that almost all legit rescue do.

Where are you at? I can look around for you as well. Sadly, doxies are NOT high demand dogs at all. Especially in the south east. I've had quite a few of them and they usually take quite some time to place. I had two listed as courtesy listings on here with SUPER low adoption fees - under $100 - and had one person kind of interested, but after asking a couple questions I never heard from them again. Lots of them in shelters. And lots with 'attitudes' which is really kind of normal in the breed. Thanks a lot BYBs. >:-(

Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Contact the Ohio Dachshund club, they are VERY active and can help you place them.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Where are you? Midwest Dachshund rescue mwdr.org They are reputable. Dachshunds are easy to place if they are younger and do not have previous back problems. Their general adoption rates around here are $250 - less if they have health issues. More for puppies. The dachs with the 'tudes are likely the ones from the mills, this breed must be socialized or they think they are top dog and may have dominance issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs