Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 19,660 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your suggestions- I especially appreciate you taking the time to personally email me. I have found your information very useful LuvAbull. We love our dogs and are still very upset about this situation. We want to do what’s best for them. As I stated on my first post we have not been in control for the dogs until about a year ago. I did not receive information on their backgrounds, when we adopted them. All that was provided by the pound were that both dogs were owner surrenders. Looking back I now, I’m sure they had some sort of behavior problems, probably why someone turned them in.

We have tried to spend as much time with them as possible, one other factor I did not mention was that we also have a two year old Westie, who lives indoors, reason why we do not have both dogs living inside full time. He is very small and can not be left alone with them for extended periods of time.
Our course of action now is to get them both physically well. We have two return vet appointments this week to get the drains and sutures out. I did contact a professional and she will be coming when the dogs are more medically stable to assess our situation and give us some insight. Right now our biggest problem is that the dogs want to be together they both keep scratching at the enclosed patio to get to each other, in a playful way………….apparently they are ready to be best friends again. Of course we know better and will not place the two together no matter what the reason, until a professional gives us the okay. Our last resort will be to rehome one of the dogs to a single dog household. We will do all we can to avoid this but if it has to been we will have to do it. I can not go through this again. I am still physically ill when I see the injuries on my dog. Thanks again all just wanted to give you an update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb7 View Post
I forgot to add that they dont seem to fight until we are around. It has something to do with us, I believe, as they stay alone together during the day,. The incidents only occur when we are outside or playing with them. Also my husband has a few people over on weekend to work on vehicles and they had an indicent of fighting when his friends were present also.
Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no experience with two dogs (I only have one) and I don't know much about dog behavior and training, but this part (in bold) caught my eye.

Keeping in mind that I know NOTHING about two dogs together, is there a possibility that once you're around, they (or at least the dominant one) are vying for your attention? Or is that too much of a human characteristic that dogs would never display?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
dear friend why did you go to the pound and get 2 pit bulls? did you say kids in the home?
what you are seeing them do to each other one day they may do to your kids and maybe you.
stop it. there is a reason the pound is full of pit bulls.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Hi D and J-
I think its very possible that this happened. As some have suggested on this thread pits are very attached to the owner/owners. I am going to ask when they come to assess the situation how this can be prevented. We love them both the same, I dont know what we are doing wrong to make them feel they have to litterally fight to win our attention. We spend alot of time with them when we are off work. We never not pet one without the other or engage with one and not the other. Its really sad.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Huckleberry-
We got two because we felt one would be lonesome and needed companionship. We picked up the female first, then the male. We made sure they got along at the pound and introduced them slowly to the home. Have not had major problems until recently . I do have children but they are not young 15 and one is almost 17. Not that it makes it any better, but I have to tell you I am concerned about this recent incident. The rage they had toward each other could have killed a person.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb7 View Post
Hi D and J-
I think its very possible that this happened. As some have suggested on this thread pits are very attached to the owner/owners. I am going to ask when they come to assess the situation how this can be prevented. We love them both the same, I dont know what we are doing wrong to make them feel they have to litterally fight to win our attention. We spend alot of time with them when we are off work. We never not pet one without the other or engage with one and not the other. Its really sad.
Oh, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I don't think it would be a "you pet her, now it's my turn" type thing. I wonder if it's just a "look at me! look at ME! more, more, MORE!" thing.

I really hope it all works out for you guys. This would be a great time for dogs to learn how to speak so that they can tell you what's up, right?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
put the aggressor to sleep before he kills a child a bites someone seriously. Once a snapper always a snapper. You can get as technical as you want but that dog is going to get worse.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I hope you dont have to re-home one dog, but that happens often in such cases.

Please update us on what happens. And good luck on finding a home for the aggressor. Be sure to let any prospective owners know about the extent of the problem. I'd even advise that you put it in writing and have them sign it as acknowledgment of receipt. In some states you can be held liable for any damage the dog inflicts after the new owners take the dog, especially if the new owners claim they werent made fully aware of the seriousness of the problem.

Last edited by TFW46; 10-24-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Charlie, just wanted to say that dog aggression and human aggression are two completely unrelated things. A human can definitely get hurt trying to come between two fighting dogs that are too upset to notice what they are biting. This is what you all need to be careful of. But the fact that a dog attacks another dog in no way means it would attack a human. Maybe you can understand better by thinking of a dog that hates cats. There are some dogs that can't be trusted around cats at all, but nobody thinks, oh that dog might attack another dog, or a person, because of that. People understand the difference there. It's the same with dog aggression vs. human aggression.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Charlieb7, you don't need to file down the teeth, you don;t need to waste money on a dog behavorist, a dog trainer is not needed, don't seperate and rehome the pets, all that is absolutle nonsese and fails to address the number one point & issue all the "professional" or "knowledgable" pitbull owners have been saying here for a long time.
It's Not The Dogs - IT"S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!
Do aquick search on CD's dog forum about topics on pitbaull and you will rwad over and over again that pitbull are not aggressive, they are not mean, they do not attcak - and when it does happen it always the fault of the owner and never the dog. So to follow any suggestion about getting a dog trainer or behavorist is dumb since the dogs are fine and its all your fault anyway. You need a people trainer to train you to be a responsible pitbull owner (whatever that means) as has been suggested over and over again on this forum. So do your own reading and you see that your dogs are 100% normal and sweet loving animals and if they did anything aggressive, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs