Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
At first I thought if a dog was loose and on your property, in Orange county, you can kill him or her. But I was wrong. The dog has to be threatening. And my rescue dog was far from threatening....he was a puppy. I think this guy has control issues.

I'm really trying to control my urge to drive over there w/ my gun and shove it down his throat.
Wow. Settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM

573 posts, read 1,690,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
An 80 POUND puppy!!!!!!
It's sad it happened but please an 80 POUND puupy can appear threatening to a person by its sheer size!

Now, I have to ask, what is your feeling towards this so called rescue your partner gave it to? Afterall, how in gods name does a legitimate rescue organization not check out any other rescues they are using!? You complain they don't check the applicants, well you ddin;t check that rescue neither so there ius some fault in your hands.
Trust me, none of this is lost on me. My rescue partner did not check out this rescue...he is somewhat new to rescue and "assumed" if it's a 501c3 that it's legit. As soon as I realized who he turned our dog over to, I called the foster and stated we were going to have to get the dog back. Unfortunately it was one day too late.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow. Settle down.
I'm settled. I've just been very emotional. I'm not a vindictive person...I'm just grieving and spouting out.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
a horrible and sad situation yes...
BUT you wernt there...
you dont know if this very large young og was running at the man (in itself running at a person can be considered a threatening action, when an 80lb dog is charging at you you dont have long to make a descion...
you dont knwo if the dog was harassing this guys rabbits or chickens or horses (in which case he does (even in that county) have legal right to kill the animal as its threatening his livestock ect..
theres way too many variables here for YOU to decide this giuy is a horrible person because he shot a large dog onhis property...
why is there no blame on the person that adopted/fostered this og for not properly confining it, making sure it couldnt wander making sure it as watched and was securely confined to the owners/fosters proptery?!

i love dogs...i also live in a rural area and have rabbits and as time progresses willbe adding more livestock. ANY dog that is harassing my livestock will be shot on site...and no offence..if i had an 80lb unkonw dog bounding towards me, id probably react rather negativly too...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
you dont know if this very large young og was running at the man (in itself running at a person can be considered a threatening action, when an 80lb dog is charging at you you dont have long to make a descion...
theres way too many variables here for YOU to decide this giuy is a horrible person because he shot a large dog onhis property...
why is there no blame on the person that adopted/fostered this og for not properly confining it, making sure it couldnt wander making sure it as watched and was securely confined to the owners/fosters proptery?!
The cop stated that the guy accused of shooting the dog claims he shot the ground and he didn't shoot the dog. The cop also took statements from the neighbors that this guy has been known to shoot his gun into the air in the evenings, which is a felony in this county.

I'm mad at hell at the foster too....she's a nightmare. She left her gate open to her property, so the dog was roaming free. This is why we were coming back to confiscate the dog. She was not properly confining him. In her words, she said he was happier as an "outside dog". This town where they live is very country and people have outside dogs all over...something I am totally against.

I'm not saying I totally blame this guy...An unfamilar dog was on his property. I get it. I'm just upset about the whole situation.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
People are very...frustrating. And perhaps a touch evil.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Oh, I am sooo sorry about this. My eyes are damp and I don't even know you or your dog.

There are so many cruel people in this world. I do not grasp how so many people can so easily take a life, and will never understand.

I'm so sorry, for both you and your dog.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
All depends on where you live, I live in rural NE GA and shooting a large dog (80lbs according to the OP) that come on to your property would not be a problem...we've got leash laws here but I know I'd feel VERY uncomfortable if I was on my property and a stray 80lbs dog that is a GSD mix came near me.

Few people realize that fluffy is fine and dandy sweetie pie while at home but left to wander can turn into something totally different.
Discharging a firearm is a pretty serious offense in most parts of the country and shooting the dog just because it came on your property is not a good reason. He put other people at risk and there lies the problem. If he was on his porch or close to his front/back door and felt threatened, then why not just go back inside, puppys generally do not attack! It is hard for me to believe this guy felt treatened.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
The cop stated that the guy accused of shooting the dog claims he shot the ground and he didn't shoot the dog. The cop also took statements from the neighbors that this guy has been known to shoot his gun into the air in the evenings, which is a felony in this county.

I'm mad at hell at the foster too....she's a nightmare. She left her gate open to her property, so the dog was roaming free. This is why we were coming back to confiscate the dog. She was not properly confining him. In her words,
Quote:
she said he was happier as an "outside dog".
This town where they live is very country and people have outside dogs all over...something I am totally against.

I'm not saying I totally blame this guy...An unfamilar dog was on his property. I get it. I'm just upset about the whole situation.
Some people love their dog to death, literally. My ex sil, used to let her dog run loose every now and then, she said ''oh he likes to be free every now and then'' until it got hit by a car and died. What an idiot!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Discharging a firearm is a pretty serious offense in most parts of the country and shooting the dog just because it came on your property is not a good reason. He put other people at risk and there lies the problem. If he was on his porch or close to his front/back door and felt threatened, then why not just go back inside, puppys generally do not attack! It is hard for me to believe this guy felt treatened.
Not were I live and in most rural areas, I live rural - farm and ranch country and I hear gun fire almost every day somewhere in my "neighborhood". As I posted earlier this was an 80lbs dog NOT a "puppy" and we really don't know the circumstances and since it was a rescue it's highly unlikely anyone really knew the dog well enough to evaluate the temperment in a strange situation.

Any time a dog or any other animal is shot is sad however, I've been in some very scarey situations on my rural property with stray/loose dogs and if I'd had a gun I'd have shot them. Several of my neighbors have shot dogs and they all have their own pets so it's not like they were hateful towards dogs but when stray/loose dogs are on your property it can create all sorts of problems. How would you feel if this unknown 80lbs "puppy" was running towards you and your small grandchildren? Or gotten into your livestock and injured or killed them? Both of these incidences happened here and the dogs were shot.

Based on the OP's posts we really don't know the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs