Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
It seems you're content to assume the dog was at fault and all of us attempting to console the OP are little more than mindless idiots easily led by our emotions.

Aside from seizing an opportunity to crap on those attempting to assuage someone's grief and sense of loss was there a point to your post?

A dog was killed under regrettable circumstances that neither you nor I were involved in. You have no more knowledge of the events than do any of us that posted in support of the OP. What do you hope to gain by trashing supporters while minimizing the sense of loss felt by the OP? When did kindness and sympathy shown to a person feeling grief become fair game for someone apparently lacking in compassion for the pain of others to use in an attempt to bolster their own ego?

It's a sad fact of life that some people that have little else to offer seem to enjoy kicking people when they're down. Welcome to ignore.
No, I don't assume, that's the problem.

Please re-read some of the posts in this thread, commenting on how people "hate people" and how we are a "disgusting race" and how some people "deserve to be shot" ... Not having knowledge is EXACTLY MY POINT. Many people are jumping to assume this lovable creature was trotting along and big bad neighbor man decided to massacre the helpless little creature out of pure hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
agreed,there have been alot of comments on this thread not of "oh im so sorry" but "humans are monsters" and "i should mach down there and shoot that guy" ect.

that guy is not here to defend himself, hes the only one who actually knows exactly what happend and why he he pointed the gun anywhere neer the dog...
he is NOT a monster, hes a guy who reacted, probably over reacted, but all the same reacted to a very large dog on his property doing lord knows what atthe time...
somehting MANY MANY MANY farmers have done and will do again thanks to irresponisble people allowing their pets to wander loose...

we dont knwo the situation around the event...
YES its a very sad situation and i am sorry that not only this happend but that the op is also as upset...

BUT this thread whent well beyond that flaming this guy who shot an "80lb puppy" on his property with no actual knoweldge of why this man shot the dog beyond some hearsay...
i can tell you no matter how do savvy you are...an 80lb dog that looks like a gsd, that you dont know comming towards you is VERY intimidating. why should he have to back into his house because the dog might be dangerous!? he has every right to defend his home and his property.
100% of the blame here shoudl go where it deserves, on the person who allowed the dog to wander...NOT the guy with the gun doing what folks in rural areas have done for generations in order to protect themselves.

theres a big yellow sheperd lab looking mutt thats been wandering round her the past few days, its show no agressiong then yesterday i was out back working on my rabbit hutches and the thing wandred up to me tail wagging then when about 10 ft away hair goes up and its snarling at me...i grabbed the thing nearest to me, a house brick and threw it as hard as i could. MY yard, MY rabbits, and MY right to enjoy MY property. the brick made enough contact that the dog yelped and bolted, it didnt come sniffing around again last night like it had for the past few days. had i had a gun on me, yes i would have probably placed a bullet in it at that point...
not MY fault that someone has let thri dog loose, i haev every right to enjoy my property and protect myself...
i felt bad for having to do it...but rather the dog than me.

My point being, we can stop saying were going to be shooting this guy now, and calling him a monster because we have no idea what happend...
offer sympathies YES...absoltuly but leave the human element out of it!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It's off-topic, but the people saying crating is cruel weren't people who usually post on the dog forum.
Anyway, I'm glad the OP had a place to talk out what happened, sorry the conversation turned out like this.
yep....

Quote:
It seems you're content to assume the dog was at fault and all of us attempting to console the OP are little more than mindless idiots easily led by our emotions.

Aside from seizing an opportunity to crap on those attempting to assuage someone's grief and sense of loss was there a point to your post?

A dog was killed under regrettable circumstances that neither you nor I were involved in. You have no more knowledge of the events than do any of us that posted in support of the OP. What do you hope to gain by trashing supporters while minimizing the sense of loss felt by the OP? When did kindness and sympathy shown to a person feeling grief become fair game for someone apparently lacking in compassion for the pain of others to use in an attempt to bolster their own ego?

It's a sad fact of life that some people that have little else to offer seem to enjoy kicking people when they're down. Welcome to ignore.

yep ......

Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
So sorry to hear of OP's losing the dog. I do hope what the neighbor did was legal (as it is in many areas with livestock, etc.) If not legal, I hope it can be pursued.
My main hope is that OP doesn't lose the energy to continue to help and rescue animals after this tragic situation. Thank you, OP, for your efforts.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is absolutely appalling. There have been times in my life when I wanted to do violence to dogs' owners, but never to the dogs. In any case, I realize how heartsick you must be. You have my deepest sympathy.
So violence against humans is ok, but not dogs? So you're not allowed to defend yourself against an attacking dog(dogs kill more people than all other wild animals combined) Wow...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So violence against humans is ok, but not dogs? So you're not allowed to defend yourself against an attacking dog(dogs kill more people than all other wild animals combined) Wow...
That's really what you took from the quoted post? Amazing and completely disrespectful to the original intent of the thread.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
That's really what you took from the quoted post? Amazing and completely disrespectful to the original intent of the thread.
I was replying to this statement.

" That is absolutely appalling. There have been times in my life when I wanted to do violence to dogs' owners, but never to the dogs."

Again we have no idea what happened. Obviously if the dog was simply crossing his property....you DON'T shoot the dog. You first talk to the owner and tell him to secure his dog and then if he's an idiot and doesn't then you call animal control/police on him. The only way shooting was justified if dog was a threat to him.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
I was replying to this statement.

" That is absolutely appalling. There have been times in my life when I wanted to do violence to dogs' owners, but never to the dogs."

Again we have no idea what happened. Obviously if the dog was simply crossing his property....you DON'T shoot the dog. You first talk to the owner and tell him to secure his dog and then if he's an idiot and doesn't then you call animal control/police on him. The only way shooting was justified if dog was a threat to him.
The OP clearly stated that they were venting and had no intent of committing an act of violence against the individual that killed the dog. Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking but I failed to read any responses that actually advocated violence against the individual that shot the dog.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The OP clearly stated that they were venting and had no intent of committing an act of violence against the individual that killed the dog. Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking but I failed to read any responses that actually advocated violence against the individual that shot the dog.
Again last reply wasn't directed to op.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
It is one of the only reasons it is legal to shoot a dog and to put things in perspective, dogs are mostly domesticated and live with/around people, this is why there are more deaths/attacks by dogs than by wild animals and there are more humans killing humans than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs