Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 27,871 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to ask for some advice. My husband and I adopted a 1 year old puppy
last week. She was posted on Craigslist as a Lab. When we saw her we knew she wasn't
purebred, but we didn't know what she is mixed with. Her owners said they adopted
her from another person, and didn't mention anything about pit bull. They didn't
seem to know what her mix is.

Since then, several people have commented that her face resembles a pit bull. That
doesn't bother me, but it could be a problem since we recently moved to Denver.
Before this week, I didn't know much about pit bulls, or the ban, but I've
been searching the web and have learned that she could be taken and killed if she
looks like one. I have seen a lot of variety in the photos of pit bulls I've
found, and some seem very stocky with the square head and wide stance, while others
are taller and leaner like her.

I have been anxious and worried since I heard that she may be a pit bull mix. She
is a sweetie and we have fallen in love with her. It breaks my heart to think I
may have to give her up, but the thought of having her taken and killed is even
worse.

I am wondering how closely a dog needs to resemble a pit bull for the city to take
it. I think she looks mostly lab, but I am not sure if I can even look at her objectively
right now. I have posted some photos of her. Would you take a look and tell me what
you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31965047@N03/?saved=1

Thanks

Last edited by Zebulon; 10-31-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
It is hard to tell with a black dog and the lighting. I would say his body is not very "pit" like for sure.
The head doesnt really either, I could "kinda" see a resemblance but I kind of cant at the same time. Its hard to tell. If other people are saying it, more than likely Animal Control will say it, or have a basis to say it. Any dog that even has the slightest characteristic of a "pitbull" as defined by the ordinance, is then a pitbull.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Oh man, what a cute dog! She looks so happy and well cared for. I'm no animal expert (even my vet says they [veterinarians] can only offer an educated guess most of the time!), but I'd go with Lab mix. Don't a lot of retriever-type dogs have very square jaw lines?

I'll be interested to read some of the responses from folks on here who are well acquainted with pit bull type dogs...both World Citizen and BrianH have had to go to bat in fighting BSL.

I wish you all the best, and hope your questions are answered.

Oops! I didn't see BrianH's response...

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 10-31-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You can do a canine DNA test but as far as I know, they don't cover Pitbulls. Maybe it would help to show she's mostly lab or whatever. You can google canine dna and see the places that sell the test, I paid about $80 but it's cheaper now I think. They send you the stuff to take a cheek swab and return it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-31-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
She is beautiful. And I do think she may have a wee bit of pit in her after looking at pics # 4, 7 & 13. My advice would be if asked by anyone official about it, deny deny deny. I hate to recommend being dishonest about anything but I have an Aussie Cattle/Chow/Pit mix that when asked is known as an Cattle Dog/Chow mix. I sure am not taking any chances with someone taking my Archie away from me. Of course they would have to go through two other dogs, my cat and my grandfathers 45 magnum lol.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can do a canine DNA test but as far as I know, they don't cover Pitbulls.
These tests are great if you want to satisfy your curiosity, but they are absolutely useless in a court of law. Which is where the OP potentially may head if her dog is taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
...My advice would be if asked by anyone official about it, deny deny deny. I hate to recommend being dishonest about anything but I have an Aussie Cattle/Chow/Pit mix that when asked is known as an Cattle Dog/Chow mix. I sure am not taking any chances with someone taking my Archie away from me. Of course they would have to go through two other dogs, my cat and my grandfathers 45 magnum lol.
If I ever have a pit mix type dog, that's my story, too. I would even go so far as to negate my dog's breed as being part-Chow. They are also on BSLs. (I was trying to be subtle in my previous post about going with Lab mix - ).

However, the OP lives in a city where the ban on pits or pit mixes is already in place. She will have no choice if the authorities deem her dog to be a pit mix.

To the OP: Please keep us informed. Has your dog been licensed yet? Did they ask you what breed she was?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 27,871 times
Default License

Thanks for all the replies. I licensed her over the web, so they didn't ask. A vet tech told me she might be part Shar-Pei because of the black spots on her tongue, so I put that down for the second breed.

I think I will get the DNA test. Someone at a pit bull rescue here in CO emailed me that I can have her evaluated by someone with the city, and if they say she is "too much" pit bull, they will let me take her out and relocate her. If not, they will give me a paper stating that. I am going to call them and confirm this though!

Wonder if anyone else knows if that information is accurate?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:04 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I wouldnt bother with a DNA test to be honest. It is not bloodlines it is "characteristics" of the dog that make it a "pitbull" according to the ordinances. A DNA test will purely be for you and nothing else.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Looks more like a lab to me than a pit. She may have a little pit in her. But not much at all. Make sure her vet paperwork says lab or lab/mix. Her body is that of a lab. I wish you luck. I would never let anyone take that sweet, cute doggie from me, I would move first. Such an unfair law. Be responsible with her, spay her, socialize her, and do not let her run lose or get lose. I would not even liscence her but get her a tag from Petsmart with her name and your phone #'s. None of my dogs are liscenced and I let no strange people in my yard or house to see what I have. I am over the limit on my dogs and some are pit mixes. They are not banned here where I live but I still worry sometimes. Keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Colorado is an interesting state. You have Denver who was one of the first BSL cities and who've had ongoing legal challenges to their BSL laws and then you have other towns who are among the most "dog friendly" in the nation...

To me, it seems that you have to decide if you want to live in Denver -- in fear.

Your dog doesn't look like a pit bull to me but it seems that your friends are telling you differently.

Your example is a great example of why we shouldn't have BSL in our country.

I hope this experience will enlist you in the fight against BSL.

Have you googled Denver's BSL law?

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-01-2008 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs