Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times

Advertisements

My big long legged boy slipped in the yard yesterday while he and Sammie were playing. With a yelp he went down and came back up on three legs.(Left rear one was tucked and he wouldn't put it down or bear weight on it) Since he has already gone through double ACL surgery - yeh - Mom was a bit freaked out. I called the vet and they were kind enough to stay open until I got there (I called 5 minutes before closing. I LOVE my vet!!!!!)

Happy to say that he has just sprained it and nothing seems to be loose or torn. He is tender though and alternating between using it to balance and hopping instead of walking. He is on some serious pain and anti-inflammatory drugs so he should be back to normal in a week or so. He did have to suffer through the embarassment of Mom helping him potty this morning. He just couldn't "hold the position" with one rear leg out of commission.

Poor Kohla ..... and poor me! I have to try and keep this big energetic, excitable Labby boy "quiet" for a week while his leg heals I can't even keep him occupied with a kong and frozen peanut butter...he's allergic!

Short of kenneling him, any ideas on keeping him quiet? Remember this is a 75 lb high energy Lab! Vet has told me no walkies, no playtime and no pool for a week...its gonna be a loooong week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
My big long legged boy slipped in the yard yesterday while he and Sammie were playing. With a yelp he went down and came back up on three legs.(Left rear one was tucked and he wouldn't put it down or bear weight on it) Since he has already gone through double ACL surgery - yeh - Mom was a bit freaked out. I called the vet and they were kind enough to stay open until I got there (I called 5 minutes before closing. I LOVE my vet!!!!!)

Happy to say that he has just sprained it and nothing seems to be loose or torn. He is tender though and alternating between using it to balance and hopping instead of walking. He is on some serious pain and anti-inflammatory drugs so he should be back to normal in a week or so. He did have to suffer through the embarassment of Mom helping him potty this morning. He just couldn't "hold the position" with one rear leg out of commission.

Poor Kohla ..... and poor me! I have to try and keep this big energetic, excitable Labby boy "quiet" for a week while his leg heals I can't even keep him occupied with a kong and frozen peanut butter...he's allergic!

Short of kenneling him, any ideas on keeping him quiet? Remember this is a 75 lb high energy Lab! Vet has told me no walkies, no playtime and no pool for a week...its gonna be a loooong week!
I'm so sorry for your pup! And I am sorry for chuckling when I read about you helping to "hold the position." Been there!!

I wish I had some advice other than kennelling or using one of those big play-pen thingies. We've never had much luck with our labs. When Daisy was hit by a car a couple of years ago and had a splint on her left leg from toes to shoulder and a half splint on her right leg, she knocked down a baby gate (with her e-collar) and came up the stairs into our bedroom because she didn't want to be left out when we were getting ready for work!!

So, as you can see, I am no help! I just wanted to say that I'll be thinking about you all this week. I know what a challenge it is!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Oh NO. So sorry. You will be extra busy and inventive till he heals. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
When I had to keep an active lab a bit quieter the vet recommended using benadryl or generic to help keep her drowsy. I used this rather long term and she didn't suffer any apparent consequences from using this. She did spend a lot of time sleeping in her crate during the day.

She had been attacked by another dog and the bite wounds were on the underside of her chin and down her chest. All the skin in that area died and had to have rather complex dressing changed every day for nearly three months because the area bigger than my hand was raw muscle and gland tissue.

It took three surgeries before she was completely healed and there was enough new skin growth to pull over the open area and stitch closed. Today you would not know anything had happened.

Please do check with your own vet about this and whether or not it would be OK for your dog.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
When I had to keep an active lab a bit quieter the vet recommended using benadryl or generic to help keep her drowsy. I used this rather long term and she didn't suffer any apparent consequences from using this. She did spend a lot of time sleeping in her crate during the day.

She had been attacked by another dog and the bite wounds were on the underside of her chin and down her chest. All the skin in that area died and had to have rather complex dressing changed every day for nearly three months because the area bigger than my hand was raw muscle and gland tissue.

It took three surgeries before she was completely healed and there was enough new skin growth to pull over the open area and stitch closed. Today you would not know anything had happened.

Please do check with your own vet about this and whether or not it would be OK for your dog.
Oh wow! I'm glad your girl made it through ok. We can't use benadryl since he is on Claritin every day for his allergies. Hmmmm....I think I will call the vet and see if I can switch the two out. The reason we put him specifically on Claritin is because it WOULDN"T make him drowsy. Thanks for the tip...I'm calling the vet right now!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Aw poor pupster and poor you!
Here's an alternative Kong idea - save out a portion of his dry food, put it in the kong, fill with water and freeze it - makes a really nice pupsicle. I use this for my dog for when I have to run a client teleconference (I work from home). It only lasts an hour with my dog though, but she enjoys it...

Maybe feed him out of those toys like busy buddy to engage his mind? (that only takes my dog about 15 min though, but it's something)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Can he have Cheese Whiz? Easy to squirt in and freeze.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Can he have Cheese Whiz? Easy to squirt in and freeze.
You know...I don't think he has ever been tried on Cheese Whiz. Its worth a try. I give him a little and see if he reacts. Thats one thing about Kohla's allergies...if he is allergic to something, you know it within 24 hours. The effect on his ears is like an explosion and the chewing and head shaking can't be missed

Thanks for the suggestion

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Aw poor pupster and poor you!
Here's an alternative Kong idea - save out a portion of his dry food, put it in the kong, fill with water and freeze it - makes a really nice pupsicle. I use this for my dog for when I have to run a client teleconference (I work from home). It only lasts an hour with my dog though, but she enjoys it...

Maybe feed him out of those toys like busy buddy to engage his mind? (that only takes my dog about 15 min though, but it's something)
I like the idea of a "pupcicle". I'll see if his food will hold up. Its so ultra processed it crumbles really easily. I'll let you know!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
So how are you two doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs