Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have always shared my food with my dogs.....if they liked it......but only a bite or two.

Well, except when I have spaghetti...... then Lucy gets a bowl of spaghetti in place of one of her two meals of the day.

My dogs have never had their own bowl of spaghetti, but they would go crazy for it. That will certainly go on the special treat list for the near future. Kona and Sophie thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
I give my dogs veggie trimmings when I'm cooking, as long as they're being good and not getting underfoot. Ends of carrots, potato peelings, tops of tomatoes, kale stalks, that sort of thing. And they always get a bit of the skin when we're having salmon. When we're out hiking I share my Clif bar with my pup. He goes nuts for the peanut butter ones.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Our dog did not like fruits and vegetables. She like sweets, but we didn't give them to her. We mostly gave her protein food, and some carbohydrates. Another thing she loved was cheese.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM

70 posts, read 209,762 times
Sometimes I do feed Lucky people food, I think it doesn't matter if I don't feed her too many times.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 AM

42 posts, read 107,899 times
People food have is great, sometimes I will also feed my ones people food. Is it really bad for them, if so I will stop it.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureluck View Post
Sometimes I do feed Lucky people food, I think it doesn't matter if I don't feed her too many times.
That's the key....don't overdo it....even with the foods that are safe for your dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxas6699 View Post
People food have is great, sometimes I will also feed my ones people food. Is it really bad for them, if so I will stop it.
A little bit of people food here and there, as a special treat, is not going to hurt them....as long as is isn't chocolate, nuts, raisens, onions, etc.

Here is a list of human foods that are dangerous for your dog....and those that are OK.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/245445...kill-your-pet/

Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
I will use peanut butter to give pills when necessary. I also give them veggies when cutting them up for the family salad. (Not too much...) They love meat and will get a bite here and there (not often). I will also scramble eggs for them to go with their kibble.

The only pasta will be before I cook it when it is still crunchy. However, since I feed them grain free, that is very rare. They like cheese but don't get it often. They now like banana's, strawberries and on occasion a blueberry or two.

They don't get any of these often or they would become begger's. A treat they do beg for is ice. When someone is at the fridge getting ice, Spanky makes a bee line for them. Because it is calorie free, I allow ice treats anytime.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would only give leftover meat in my dog's dish, otherwise only high quality dog food. Mainly because it is easier to control her weight, and also because if people food is off limits, then there is no begging while humans are eating.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxas6699 View Post
There are a few people I would love to feed to my dogs.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Say what you will abour pedigree...But my boxer winston lived to be 16 1/2 and ate pedigree dog food his whole life....switched to senior about 3 yrs before he died. He also got the occasional bowl of spaghetti...loved it so i always made him a bowl. My bulldog eats carrots, apples, bananas, mangos and loved sno peas right out of the garden. I think some dogs love people food...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I am thinking of maybe trying Talon on a homemade diet, at least part of the time. Right now she eats just her store bought kibble, and occasionally she will have a "people food" treat like one of my kids extra fish sticks, or today she had a piece of my banana. It's weird because she seems to do better on the cheaper brand dog foods...solid stools, no issues etc. We decided to try her on Pedigree large breed food and ever since she has been on it she has had loose stools at least half the time and a lot of times they are a weird color (like orange or green mainly). I saw part of a show when we were at the animal shelter recently about dogs getting home cooked diets, the people had beagles and gave them a mix of meat/rice/peas. I was wondering if I could try something like this with Talon. I probably wouldn't cook ALL her meals but it might be a nice change for her sometimes. I figured, some people give their dogs table scraps all the time, so it probably couldn't hurt. Just wondering what other people do, as far as giving their dogs home cooked food or scraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs