Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,600 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been brought up before. Since I have 4 dogs all in different age levels is there are food I can just feed to all of them. My oldest dog Buddy is almost 11, Bug is 1.5 Cricket is 8 months and Willie is 9 weeks. The weenies I can feed separate since they sleep in my room and the dog food can be kept away from Willie and Buddy. I feed them nutro max. I want to feed Buddy and Wille at the same time also. I can't leave food out all day for Buddy because he will eat all day long. He is a pig. Since Willie is so young he needs to be fed more often. My girls eat in the morning and then again before bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
NO! Each has to be fed food acording to Age Size & Needs! One Food does Not Fit ALL. UNLESS Your willing to go R.A.W.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Nutro max is junk as is 99.9% of dog food out there. Katie is right. The only kibble I'd trust is probably Orijen. My boxer does amazing on it. But I used to always mix in raw eggs, raw milk, red meat, bacon grease with her kibble. She's 9 and healthy as a horse. Never any problems knock on wood. Still runs and plays ball like she was a year old. She's also intact which despite the risks in my opinion is the healthiest thing anyone can do to keep their dogs healthy and happy. And save the overpopulation bs about spaying and neutering for someone that cares. Im a responsible dog owner and my ***** has never gotten pregnant.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
Actually if your feeding a HIGH QUALITY kibble (no corn no soy no byproduct) you Do NOT need to feed different life stage foods unless you are raising performance dogs (working dogs who need a haigher K-Cal)
i feed my puppies the same food im feeding my adult dogs from the age they start eating, BUT that will only work with higher quality feeds that arnt filled with un-digestable fillers like corn.
the difference between adult and puppy food in these higher quality feeds is simply the amount of calories, so youd just adujust, if you were feeding orijen for exaple, a young puppy would eat more overall (small meals multiple times a day) then the elderly dog, but its the same exact stuff...

Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Well this morning I bought Taste of the Wild. We live in a small community and other than walmart the only other store available is Orshlens. The choice for a better quality dog food is Taste of the Wild and Nutro Source. Other than that it is the normals Iams, Science Diet, and Purina which I already knew were a poor choice. I looked into raw feeding and that will not work with our lifestyle. I am going to transfer all of them over to Taste of the Wild and see how that goes through the summer.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
TOTW is a great food but can cause gas, if this happens (even if you transition realy slowly) just add some dried parsely to each meal and itll help

Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
My dog did well on TOTW even with a sensitive stomach like his. He was gassy as Foxywench mentioned, LOL. I got tired of the recalls with the dog food and went back to raw. Its messier but he's doing better on it.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I feed TOTW and switched to their lamb formula...no gas

Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 PM

I will have to look for the lamb formula. All I saw at our store was the salmon and buffalo. I will try the parsley also. Thank you so much.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Artie -- delicate flower that he is -- is a very finicky eater, with a very sensitive stomach. The only food that doesn't send his tummy into a tizzy is Taste of the Wild, bison/venison flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs