Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 AM

146 posts, read 313,904 times

Advertisements

We got a puppy last week that's 2 months old, and he will be exactly 2.5 when we go on vacation. Out 20 day driving vacation was booked way before we found the right puppy, so we're wondering if we should take him with us or leave him at the vet's office where they also have a boarding facility. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
see how he does in the car...if he seems ok id personally take him along (assuming you can find pet friendly hotels and wouldnt be leaving him alone in a hotel room for more than a couple of hours each day...(he is afterall a puppy, they cry, howl, chew, get bored, need potty breaks ect)

but thats just me persoanlly, i dont like boarding my dogs, ESPECIALLY young puppies who arnt finished on their vaccines yet...
If you dont want to take him id look into having a pet sitter come to your home rather than boarding at a vets or similar kennel type facility. just make sure the pet sitter is bonded/insured.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I would take him b/c you want him to bond to you not the sitter or vet techs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think your puppy would benefit from being with his family, not in a cage at the vet. I assume he would not be left alone for a long time while you were out sightseeeing? This is a good opportunity to socialize your dog, and get him used to new sights and smells.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Sorry but you should cancel the trip and take the dog once he's a little older. Perhaps in the autumn.

Let's not sugar coat it... He's 10 weeks old.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:16 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Are you staying in hotels or a camper? If hotels, you may want to find out if they accept pets. If RV, take it and have fun.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:16 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't take him. This decision is hinged on a couple of questions though:

-where are you going? Some cities and locales are more dog friendly than others.
-what's on the agenda? If you're looking to spend time at museums, shops, restaurants, and the like, then these are obviously places you can't bring a puppy. So the pup is going to be left behind at the hotel anyways. This may sound selfish, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to visit such places if you had this trip planned out ages ago.
-if you're going someplace that is dog friendly, I'd be very concerned about such a young, tiny puppy that's not fully vaccinated. Someone mentioned the risk at a boarding facility, but that risk is there as well if you go to a pet friendly location like a pet friendly hotel (at least a boarding facility would hopefully know the dangers on transmutable diseases. The hotel/motel may may not and not sanitize properly).

Honestly, you booked this vacation before you got the dog, so I'm guessing you didn't plan an itinerary with such a small puppy in mind. Have you marked out all the vets along your route, including 24/7 emergency vets in case something goes wrong? Discuss any bathroom issues, including when you're out and about town? Check rules regarding dog friendly locales (some places, like dog parks and beaches, require dogs be UTD with shots and even neutered).

Puppies this age are so fragile (ESPECIALLY toy breeds) that I don't think it's wise to expose it to so many possibly unknown variables out there like disease. It always concerns me when people bring puppies this young to pet stores and dog beaches.

I would either delay the trip or not take the dog. To be really honest, I also think you should postpone this trip. Regardless of which option you choose, neither will be optimal for properly bonding with the puppy and socializing/training your new puppy. You haven't even really had time to gauge the personality of your pup to see if it's laid back enough to be okay with such a trip, or if he is going to be a little terror at nearly all hours of the day, barking and running around nonstop (a lot of this depends on the breed too).

Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
My two cents worth if your traveling in an RV fine take him..If not stay home and take the trip another time..Hotels can either be really dog friendly or not.The hard part of a hotel is finding a clean safe place to walk him..I've been there done that and its not always easy ...
Good luck

Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
He Doent have all his shots NO Dont take him .... Cancel til hes older!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
My question is...the timing of getting a puppy when you had a big vacation already planned. I agree with all the previous posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs