Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

So DH didn't stop to think that while both dogs are small, Toby weighs 6 lbs and Lucy weighs 15 lbs. He only bought the "under 10 lb" kind.

Will it be wasted on the bigger 15 lb dog? If yes we will have to make another trip to the store and was not something we are looking forward to. Lucy is a Bichon and frankly she is the dog with the flea allergy
and gets hot spots although neither dog is outside except for leashed walks on sidewalks several times a day. They do their business on grass however. (yes we pick up!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
As a general rule, the weight range is based on a willingness to stand up and proclaim that they guarantee that if the dog is between X and Y, the product is 100% effective. Under the range, there is a chance the pesticide may be too strong and can cause harm. Over the range the chances are the pesticide may not be strong enough to be 100% effective (not to be confused with possible, maybe, mostly, almost always - but not that we will state 100% effective). Also when dealing with the minimum range, they have to make sure that even the 1 oz dog will not be harmed.

The problem is that we don't know how the manufcature arrived at that top number. It could be the pesticide has a definative effectivness that that when in a dosage that prtect but not harm the minimum number, the maximum protection can only be acheived up to a certain weight. OR, it could be that the majority of pets are over a certain weight so they made the that dosage cut off below the "majority" limit for business sales reasons.

Hpwever, whatever the reasoning, they are only stating that the protection will be effective up to that weight limit and no more. It could be BS or it could be scientific fact. Its a crap shoot!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
personally i woudlnt trust it, the under 10lb doseage is .4ml, the dose for the next weight range is 1ml, (more than double)
that being said, i would give the larger dog 2 doses of the small dog vial (which would be .8ml and given your 16lb is in the middle of the next weight range should be plenty of active ingredicent and still well within the "safe" dosage and will save you a trip this time around.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM

thanks foxy. I think that is what I will do. Should I get the doses several days apart or both at the same time? she is overdue for flea treatment and we all have hell to pay if she get only 1 bitty flea bite. Most Bichons react the same way.

Also i've read Advantix II is poison to cats. We have two but they don't generally lick or even play with the dogs. What special precautions should I use when using this products on dogs with cats in the house?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM

id do it together, its hard to OD on the active ingredients in advantix anyway and since under nromal circumstances shed be getting more than double that dose in 1 sitting shouldnt be a problem.
my female crestie is also severly flea allergic and dozer looks to be a flea allergy dog too so i know the worries!

in terms of the cats, as long as the cats dont lick or brush/sleep against the dogs while the product is wet its perfectly safe, its only a cat risk while wet, once its dry the cats are safe.

i much prefer advantix over all other products and once my advantage runs out ill be getting advantix for the dogs (obvisouly staying advantage for the cats) im hoping by alternating advantage and advantix itll keep the fleas "confused" lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 AM

thanks foxy can't rep you just yet.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM

no prob

I only know the divided doses becausei buy the biggest size tubes they make and divde it up myself so i learnt early on lol.
saves me a small fortune diing it this way...for you it probably woudlnt be worth it (as youd have to invest in syrninges and a glass vial to store the extra and for 2 smaller dogs....) but for me with the 3 dogs and 2 cats on the advantage, it worked out ALOT cheaper to buy the largest size (4ml) doer gets 1 tube, ruby gets 1ml, jasper and the cats all get a little under 1/2ml so which tends to leave me with just over 1ml from the 4ml large tube left, that gose into an amber glass vial for next time.
what would have cost me about $600 a year now costs me about $200 lol. (and yes this is safe to do and Advantage for dogs is the same stuff as the advantage for cats, you obviously put advantix on a cat, and i dont know if the frontline plus for dogs and cats are the same formulars so cant tell ou if you cna use dog frontline on cats and visa versa, but advantage you can lol.)

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Foxy is spot on with her advice.

I do the same thing by buying the biggest packages of flea treatment,,, (i.e. for dogs over 66 lbs), and dumping all 6 doses into a single sterile vile and dosing the flea pesticide for my dogs at the rate of .3cc per 10 lbs of body weight using a 1cc syringe for accurate measurement. This seems to work well for my dogs. I buy the products sold on Amazon.com, (Kirkland), for about $26.00 for a 6 month supply, giving me a 24ml storage. This is about a quarter of the price for Advantage and Frontline and about half of the price of the generic Wal-Mart brand called Pet Armor, the ingredients read the same. I store the stuff in the fridg and it lasts indefinitely. BTW, I know nothing about cats.

I can keep both of my dogs flea free for the entire summer season for around $50.00 using this method, if I bought Frontline or Advantage from the vet, the price would be in the neighborhood of $300.00 for the two dogs to stay flea free for 7-8 months... I live in the south TX area so we have a long flea sea season.

I also use the same method for heart worm medicine, I buy a 50 ml bottle of Ivomec cattle wormer from the farm and ranch feed store for about $35.00 and dispense it at a rate of 0.5cc per 10 lbs of body weight. Ivomec is the same dewormer used in the Heart Guard pills sold by vets. Just dribble the Ivomec onto a small piece of bread and smear it over with a little peanut butter and the dog will gobble it down as a treat. A 50ml bottle will last the lifetime of most medium sized dogs.

Oh,,, and Foxy, any good drug store will GIVE you a syringe at no cost, they just won't give you a needle to go on it. Just tell the pharmacists you need it for measurement purposes, these things really cost pennies and the drug store makes no profit on them.

Goodbye to the high vet bills for basic pet health care.

Last edited by jbtx; 08-10-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM

foxy- can I pick your brain a bit more? K9advantix II is for dogs only- says not to let cat get around it while still wet.

Advantage is a different product all together- no? is that the product you divide among your cats and dog? We only have indoor cats so they don't need anything but I'm a bit confused about the differences between advantage and advantix. many thanks for you share with us.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM

yes, advantage is diferent from k9advantix.

just a different active ingedient is all, advantage is perfectly safe for cats and dogs,
but ingredient that works well against ticks in K9advantix is dangerous to cats when wet.

Advantage doesnt contain the tick repelant (the only think i dont like about advantage)

Advantage is Imidaclorprid
K9 Advantix is Imidaclorprid and Permethrin
its the Permethrin thats dangerous to cats when wet.
(advantage and advantix are manufactured by the same company)

Frontline however is Fipronil and Methoprene

this is why in an area where frontline isnt effective anymore advantage or advantix is suggested, and the same in reverse. just different pesticides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs