Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times

Advertisements

After leaving his dog on Mount Bierstadt for 9 days do you thing the owner should get it back?
I think not, poor thing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1785217.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Definition of a friend

With an "owner" like that, who needs one? Where I Missy, I'd be looking for a better human companion.

While on the topic, I've seen many horses, often used in summer for tourists, penned up in small enclosures in their own filth. Often it seems, installed with saddles for an entire day, whether being ridden or not. Contrast that with horses running free with their friends across an open prairie, or even just wandering around an enclosed but large and verdant pasture, and difference seen which they would prefer.

Humans may not be the only creatures to do so, although more usually responsible for enslaving others. Even when a supposedly loved companion, they themselves may not be the best friend.

For Missy, I hope she finds a decent home. With someone who loves here, and would never leave her stranded on a mountain, moving heaven and hell towards any rescue.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,825 times
I've been following the story since 9News ran it the other night. Fight brewing over dog found on mountain | 9news.com

No way should he get Missy back. He lost his rights to her when he left her to die alone and injured on a mountain It completely blows my mind that anyone could be so heartless and cruel to not go back to get her. Kudos to the wonderful group of people who rallied together to rescue her and save her life.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
I'm confused, did she break a leg or something? Why, other than dehydration, was she immobile? Why couldn't the owner atleast get her down below a treeline or somewhere? The owners story doesn't make sense unless he was so unprepared for a hike like this that he was about to die himself if he didn't leave her. I do think he relinquished ownership of her by leaving her out there. She should be dead and that should be how it's treated, he left a dog to die, someone else can give her new "life".

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM

110 posts, read 348,299 times
No.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
No,
1 The dog should have been left at home or in the car.
2. If he loved the dog he would have carried it down on his shoulders.
This mt did not require you to climb. it is a hiking trail.
3. Again if he cared for his dog he would have gone back for it, he didn't.
4 his poor decision to be on the summit in the afternoon shows his inabilitie to make good decisions.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I'm confused, did she break a leg or something? Why, other than dehydration, was she immobile? Why couldn't the owner atleast get her down below a treeline or somewhere? The owners story doesn't make sense unless he was so unprepared for a hike like this that he was about to die himself if he didn't leave her. I do think he relinquished ownership of her by leaving her out there. She should be dead and that should be how it's treated, he left a dog to die, someone else can give her new "life".
The dogs pads were 'shredded' and she couldn't walk down. It is ridiculous that he just left her. There is no way he should - or will - get the dog back.

I've hiked Bierstadt a few times and it is by far one of the easiest 14ers in CO. It is a hike vs. climb. He could have gotten her down to treeline for safety and waited out any storm. The guy is a piece of ***** and should be relegated to the same fate that Missy was.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
The dogs pads were 'shredded' and she couldn't walk down. It is ridiculous that he just left her. There is no way he should - or will - get the dog back.

I've hiked Bierstadt a few times and it is by far one of the easiest 14ers in CO. It is a hike vs. climb. He could have gotten her down to treeline for safety and waited out any storm. The guy is a piece of ***** and should be relegated to the same fate that Missy was.
She had to have shown signs that her pads were wearing out before it got that bad. Did the owner just ignore her limping? Indeed it is ridiculous that she got that way. Irresponsible is a mild word for the owner.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
No.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
She had to have shown signs that her pads were wearing out before it got that bad. Did the owner just ignore her limping? Indeed it is ridiculous that she got that way. Irresponsible is a mild word for the owner.
He is obviously an irresponsible owner. I don't take my dogs hiking on 14ers because the top can get pretty jagged with rocks. He would've known that she was injured if he actually cared. The fact that he had a friend with him and they both determined that they couldn't get the dog down safely is even more appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs