Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Am I the only person in the world who has a 4 legged friend, I can't call him a pet or a dog because he is family....
But, he watches me constantly when I'm at home. If I go to the bathroom, he's there watching me, if I go to the kitchen, he's there watching me, if I watch television, he's right there watching me with those beedy eyes.
I have had dogs in the family ever since childhood, and none ever followed me and kept their eye on me constantly. The other dogs in the family were shelter dogs, this one we have had since right after weaning.
Is this good boy strange, or what. Or, is it an inseparable bond of some type.
He watches tv too, only when I tell him doogy on tv, then he watches tv briefly.
It just seems so strange to me that he constantly has his eyes on me anticipating a next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I don't think how long you've had a dog has anything to do with it. Some dogs are just Velcro Dogs. My 2 Bichons would not even eat without me in the kitchen with them. It really is ridiculous but I wouldn't have it any other way. he loves you and wants to be with you and make sure you don't leave him. You are being honored.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I've had friends over who were playing with Artie (that's my dog) and they've told me that, even while they're playing with him, he's always watching me. No matter how intense the play is, he always has an eye on me, tracking my every move.

The funniest Artie story:

When I adopted him in May 2007, he was 3.5 years old. I've not been able to go anywhere on my own since then, even the bathroom. He lies on the floor when I'm showering, etc... When I'm peeing, he sits there, just looking up at me. But you know how you can tell when they're getting ready to jump? That position they get in? Yeah, well... there I am peeing and I see that "getting ready to jump" stance. And there he is. I'm peeing and he's on my lap. Priceless.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think how long you've had a dog has anything to do with it. Some dogs are just Velcro Dogs. My 2 Bichons would not even eat without me in the kitchen with them. It really is ridiculous but I wouldn't have it any other way. he loves you and wants to be with you and make sure you don't leave him. You are being honored.
I have never heard of that, but it is kind of funny.
Our's? he is similar to yours, he will not eat until we (spouse and myself) eat.
And, he also sleeps with us too, in the middle of our bed. Most people believe and practice making their's stay on the floor or have their own beds, but we are different. Ours has slept with us from the day he was picked out of the box.
I like that being honored part. He does love to please us in some ways.
And is a crybaby, yells loudly when we leave him, or when one of us leaves, he goes into howl mode.
thanks for replying!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've had friends over who were playing with Artie (that's my dog) and they've told me that, even while they're playing with him, he's always watching me. No matter how intense the play is, he always has an eye on me, tracking my every move.

The funniest Artie story:

When I adopted him in May 2007, he was 3.5 years old. I've not been able to go anywhere on my own since then, even the bathroom. He lies on the floor when I'm showering, etc... When I'm peeing, he sits there, just looking up at me. But you know how you can tell when they're getting ready to jump? That position they get in? Yeah, well... there I am peeing and I see that "getting ready to jump" stance. And there he is. I'm peeing and he's on my lap. Priceless.
That's so funny and cute!
I do find it odd that dogs watch master all the time though, the shelter dogs we've had in the past never did that, and, the shelter dogs never slept with us either, they slept on a blanket or a comforter.

Had a friend years ago who would makehis friend sleep in a cage with the door closed, blanket on floor but in a wire pet cage. I thought it was a bit cruel, but I wasn't the master, and didn't share my thoughts about it with the friend.

Does Artie sleep alongside you too?
I'm beginning to think I babied this boy too much!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That's so funny and cute!
I do find it odd that dogs watch master all the time though, the shelter dogs we've had in the past never did that, and, the shelter dogs never slept with us either, they slept on a blanket or a comforter.

Had a friend years ago who would makehis friend sleep in a cage with the door closed, blanket on floor but in a wire pet cage. I thought it was a bit cruel, but I wasn't the master, and didn't share my thoughts about it with the friend.

Does Artie sleep alongside you too?
I'm beginning to think I babied this boy too much!
If it weren't for my husband, Artie would sleep in my bed, for sure. But my husband isn't a pet person and has drawn the line. Artie, though, has a crate (with no door) that he likes going into, a bed on the floor next to my side of the bed, and his own futon in my office (which is right across the hall from my bedroom). He's only a weeeeee bit spoiled.

I think it's fabulous that your pup sleeps in your bed, I really do.

As far as being babied is concerned, Artie is definitely pampered. Don't ask me about what goes into his food bowl along with his kibble -- it's just embarrassing how much I cook and cater to him. (It's not really embarrassing. I love making him happy.)

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
my dogs are velcro...IN the house forget it, i cant even pee or take a shower without an audience, im pretty sure they belive theres either a secret exit form the bathroom, OR that theres smething evil luring in the shower drain just waiting to eat me...out in the back yar only Dozer is "self entertaining" the 2 little ones have to know where i am at all times lol.

mine are crate trained, they like thier crates and each runs to his or her own house at bedtime, but they have egg crate foam matresses and blankets and get tucked in and night night kisses and thier crates are IN my bedroom right neer the bed.
the rest of the day there usualy ON or neer me in some way shape or form, liek right now dozer is my foot rest (he pusehd himself under my feet) and jasper and ruby are on the seat curled up on either side as leg warmers my uys are definatly pampered, but they give me so much in return and i LOVE being close to them.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my dogs are velcro...IN the house forget it, i cant even pee or take a shower without an audience, im pretty sure they belive theres either a secret exit form the bathroom, OR that theres smething evil luring in the shower drain just waiting to eat me...out in the back yar only Dozer is "self entertaining" the 2 little ones have to know where i am at all times lol.

mine are crate trained, they like thier crates and each runs to his or her own house at bedtime, but they have egg crate foam matresses and blankets and get tucked in and night night kisses and thier crates are IN my bedroom right neer the bed.
the rest of the day there usualy ON or neer me in some way shape or form, liek right now dozer is my foot rest (he pusehd himself under my feet) and jasper and ruby are on the seat curled up on either side as leg warmers my uys are definatly pampered, but they give me so much in return and i LOVE being close to them.
When you're sitting or watching television, do they look at you alot, or just lie down and go to sleep. I'm just wondering how many people's best friends track their every movement.
Mine is a leg warmer too, and I love it because this place I live at has ice cold floors in winter.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
My Doberman is constantly following me, unless he's tired and half asleep. They are a velcro breed so it's nothing unusual.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I have four of those! LOL Three I've had since they were pups but the most recent, and oldest, has only been here a year. Heck, I had to go buy a loooooong couch so we could all fit. Plus a huge ottoman for the overflow.

Honestly, it's the boys who watch my every move but it's the two girls who sleep with us and require their share of lap time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs