Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Most of us here know how to be good neighbors and control our dogs, don't let them run lose, stop the barking, pick up poo when walking in the neighborhood, etc. And we rant and rave about all the poor dogs who are not properly cared for but what can we do to get the word out to others who have no interest in reading about dogs on this or other forums?

What can we do about folks who pick a dog out purely on looks and don't even know that different breeds have different personalities?

What can we do to educate others about puppy mills and pet store relationship?

How can we get the word out about microchipping and how it saves lives?

I'm especially discouraged this morning because over on the cat forum a woman who admitted she got help on the forum in the past and enjoys reading it told us in a casual way she always gets her cats declawed then she got bent out of shape when she was blasted by folks outraged she got her latest kitten declawed and now he is sick. I cannot count the number of times declawing has been discussed over there.

So what as individuals can we do to educate the people who just seem so ignorant and uncaring about animals and the proper way to care for them?

ETA: then there is the uplifting moment when a young man asked us if he should get a puppy as he explained his current lifestyle. We mostly suggested he wait for a better time and he reconsidered and actually thanked us all for convincing him to wait. Now that made my day!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I don't know the answer about how to get people educated when they don't come to the dog forum. I agree that it's frustrating.

As for your uplifting moments addition, I'll add two more:
1. I don't have a cat but I learned, via some forum (I don't remember which), why it's terrible to declaw them. I had NO idea that it would be painful for them throughout their lives.
2. This dog forum has been a WEALTH of information for me. I'd never have known to try grain-free food for Artie. I'd have never known about A LOT of things had it not been for you guys.

So, even if we only educate each other, at least we're doing something worthwhile.

I'll put on my thinking cap, though, and see if I can come up with an idea to educate the masses that don't frequent our forum.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
And when we educate each other, each of us can "share the wealth" with people in real life. At adoption events, prospective adopters, or people who just stop by to say hello to the dogs, have asked questions about health or behavior issues that I've answered with something I learned right here. I've learned about less familiar dog breeds and lots of other things too. Anytime we "talk dogs" (or cats) with friends and family, there's a possibility something we saw on c-d will help them out too.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
would you be willing to write a Letter to the Editor type thing? sign your name? I have on many subjects but when someone challenged me thinking I was talking about them (I didn't even know they had dogs) it made me paranoid about offending somebody who might take retaliation for my opinions. I'm usually a courageous and outspoken person but letters to the editor require signatures and there are so many nut jobs out there you almost take your life in your hands by going public chastising general public for lose dogs, letting them breed, not getting them fixed, declawing cats, etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
That's a tough one. We see on here how people can take offense so easily at times. Maybe it would help if you word it by focusing on the positive, on what people can do. For example mentioning a local low cost spay/neuter program and the benefits of using it, instead of saying I hate seeing all these free puppies signs (even though of course you do, I know I do).

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
I would like to see schools take kids (maybe 5th graders) on field trips to city shelters and not have the plight of these animals sugar coated or at least have an ACO come visit the school and talk to the kids about RESPONSIBLE pet ownership. Adults are so focused on themselves that it is difficult to make an impression unless they already have an interest. Also the kids can influence their parents in a positive way.

I think being positive is a good idea...some people are just completely ignorant and don't realise the strife and harm they may be taking part in. It amazes me the number of people out there who don't realise purebreds end up in shelters even.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't know the answer about how to get people educated when they don't come to the dog forum. I agree that it's frustrating.

As for your uplifting moments addition, I'll add two more:
1. I don't have a cat but I learned, via some forum (I don't remember which), why it's terrible to declaw them. I had NO idea that it would be painful for them throughout their lives.
This isn't the right place for this, I know, but since you brought it up...

I have a declawed cat. He has never had ANY issues due to the declawing and doesn't seem to even even realize he has none on his front paws. He will let you handle his feet and toes just fine, so no pain at all for him, he has never had any pain.

Don't believe everything you read on the subject. It's not always a nightmare for the cat.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
i don't think anyone says it's always a nightmare for the cat. but it CAN be and there's no way to know until the irreversible procedure has been done. people should know what COULD happen even if it's not 100%.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
The age the cat is declawed also has a lot to do with how they mentally adjust! My Old vet Refused to declaw after 6-7 months & Always did it during a Spay/Nutering ALL the cats lived a Long Healthy Happy Life! He told me once that he figured out the age cut off by watching cats he done over the years. Older cats have hard time adjusting some even got down right mean. All my cats were declawed cause of my health problems. They did everything cats normally do inc catch mice & climb curtains!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think anyone says it's always a nightmare for the cat. but it CAN be and there's no way to know until the irreversible procedure has been done. people should know what COULD happen even if it's not 100%.
If you look up websites on the subject, they do tell you it is agonizing for the cat, and pretty much say it will happen every time. I know several people with declawed cats and have yet to meet anyone IRL who has a cat who has suffered because of it. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think it is nearly as much as the internet would lead you to believe. My cat certainly doesn't act maimed in any way...he even climbs trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs