Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

I am the volunteer in a rescue group that responds to adoption inquiries and applications. Here's one I received today. I have a few ideas about this one, but there are several issues that come to mind. Wondering how you would respond. what you would suggest. Here it is, (all Identifying info has been removed):

"Hello my name is XXXXXXXX...i am very interested in adoptin a young boston terrior...im not familliar with yalls foundation and would like to know how i can adopt one...im 38 and disabled but very capable of carin for a dog...im alone and get lonely...i may not be able to afford yalls fees...im very interested and love the breed...i would love to be paired up with a lovin dog lookin for a home...i dont make much money bein so young and disabled...ive been a hard worker since i was 14 left alone with a 10 yr ol baby sister to raise...on 11 11 2000 a 19 yr ol girl fell asleep behind the wheel of her car on a 2 lane hwy and hit me head on...i spent months in the hospital and had years of surgery and rehab...i was left broken and 10% brain damage ruinin my career and lost my house,cars,job and wife...im a proud uncle to a 10yr ol niece (im more like a granddad) cause lack of my sisters dad...my father died when i was 3...ive had a hard 38 yrs...but ive got lots of love to give and i need a friend please give me a chance and some info my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx thank you"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Guess I'd investigate the home. Seeing is the best, most accurate source of info. Also question why that breed-there's a lot of small mixes that would fill the bill.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I would be concerned that this person can not really afford a dog. The whole letter is about the cause of his/her disability rather than what they have to offer a dog in the way of caring and support. I feel for this person, but a letter that's mostly a play for sympathy doesn't impress me as a good adopter. I wouldn't want to be the one who had to respond though! I'd call them and try to get more information, hoping perhaps the first impression was wrong but asking, how much do you expect to spend on food, vet bills etc. for this dog, are you certain you can count on having this amount to spend on it. The disability issue is something I wouldn't even get into until the financial part is discussed, and I have a feeling you won't even need to get that far into the conversation. Hope I'm wrong but in this letter the emphasis on all the trials and tribulations doesn't sound promising at all. "I don't know if I can afford the fee" is not a good start IMO.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
home visit for sure.... and bring a dog to see interaction....

LONG conversation about expenses, etc.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I'm sorry he's had a rough life, but that's a pity party letter. And someone who says right off the bat they can't afford the adoption fee...not a good omen.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Like everyone else, I'd be concerned about him not being able to afford the dog's care.

Also, the guy seems to have enough on his plate right now. Even though the accident was more than a decade ago, it doesn't seem that things are good or getting better.

I just don't have a good feeling about it being a good place for a dog.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I agree- he is telling you every way he can that he is poor, lonely, disabled and not in a healthy place mentally. A dog should not be placed with this person. One of these characteristics would not be a good reason to not place but all together would be disastrous for the animal. (forgive the double negatives in this sentence)

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I would have concerns about his ability to pay for the dogs care. However maybe you could offer him the chance to volunteer, meet people, help dogs, eventually foster and possibly adopt. Due to his circumstances he may really be able to bond with some dogs and help them and himself.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm sorry he's had a rough life, but that's a pity party letter. And someone who says right off the bat they can't afford the adoption fee...not a good omen.

Yep.

I also wonder why a young, purebred dog is asked for? It seems like an adult dog requiring less actitivty would be the better match. Makes me wonder if a young purebred dog - especially this breed that is so marketable...could maybe be sold on Craigslist shortly after being adopted and the rescue would never find out or be told it went missing.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Hummm my being on SSD didt phase any rescue to Give me a dog! Some people think being disable means they are above others! I too didnt see anything about how they were going to care for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs