Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times

Advertisements

I talk to my dogs conversationally too, and people are mistaken if they don't think dogs can understand (except for a new puppy,or a dog that's new to you who hasn't been talked to much before). My dogs know "go pee" but sometimes if they don't really need to go,they won't. But if I'm going to be going out for a long time, and they don't go when I tell them, I say "Go pee because mom's going out and you'll have to wait" and then they do their business even though they weren't going to before I said that. The key is breaking things down with lots of words they already know, so they learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Besides the usual sit, stay, down, heel, come, leave it, kennel, etc..
"Watch your tail" when I don't want a wagging tail clearing the coffee table.
"Brace" when we're in the car and I need to brake suddenly
"Wait" for the trick of balancing something on the end of his nose (followed by "skit it" to toss it up and catch it)

I used to have a dog that would dive to the bottom of the pool to retrieve. I used "dive" to tell him to go wait on the diving board.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Aside from the normal sit, heel, stay, drop it, come, etc., commands, what special commands have you taught your dogs?
HUG: It means give me a hug.

QUIET: Hush

INTRUDER: Bark loudly and repeatedly

ON GUARD: Bark once.

STAND: Stand up

TUMMY: Show me your tummy

PRICKLE STICK: Don't move. I'm removing debris from your coat.

WHAT'S THAT?: Go upstairs and look to see who's there.

FIND THE RABBIT: Track the critter.

FIND THE MAN: Track the person.

TIME TO GET PRETTY: Go to the grooming table.

GO RUN: Run around in circles.

INSIDE: Get in.

WHATCHA GOT?: Take this Kong upstairs.

BALL/PLAY: Go get the ball.

TIME FOR SLEEP: Go upstairs to your bed.

DROP IT / GIVE : Put it down.

LEAVE IT: Don't touch that (ever).

There's others... private commands

And that's to say nothing of the non verbal hand signals.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
"Puppy belly"--- my 70 pound ball of crazy falls on his back and waits for a belly rub.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Achtung!, - Watch! Attention!
Aus!, -Out! Drop It! Let Go!
Bleib!,- Stay!
Bring!, - Fetch!
Fass!, - Attack! Take hold!
Fuss!,- Heel!
Gib Laut!,- Bark!
Hier!, - Here! Come!
Hopp!,- Up! Jump!
Nein!, -(Nine) No!
Pass auf!,- Pay attention! / Watch
Pfui!, - Shame! Stop That!
Platz!, - Down!
Sitz!,- Sit!
Such!, - Search!
Voran!,- Go On! Blind Search
Voraus!, - Go forward! Run out!

Of course they are GSD's

And just for my German friends.
I taught my male a parlor trick.
When I drop my empty can of beer he gets me a cold one out of my cooler and brings it to me.
More folks want him just for this one trick.
(sorry, to say he passed not to long ago)
god I miss that dog...

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Find it! (Dogs will keep looking and gathering all of their toys and bring them to me. Useful for getting toys off the floor before vacuuming)
About Face! (Used on a walk when I want all 4 dogs to make a u-turn to the right. VERY useful since they get turned around without me getting tangled in leashes)
Swim Time! (Kodi will do a flying dive into the pool everytime with this command. He knows he is only allowed to swim when we say its alright)
Where's Daddy? (sends all 4 dogs running up to the second floor to DH's home office. Useful if he has headphones on and "can't hear me" calling him. DH knows if all 4 dogs come piling into his office at once, he is needed downstairs)

Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
When my kids won't wake up easily, I send my hound to wake them up. I say, "X needs your help" and he flies upstairs, jumps on the bed and starts nudging and licking. I think the only reason this happened is because I only do it when it's super important to wake the person up for an appointment. I used to go get the hound and take him up with me to help. As time went on, I started just telling the dog to help and he would go on his own. I think the reason he is so enthusiastic about helping is because I always let him come for the ride in the car wherever we are going. In his mind, when he heards "X needs help" he knows if he wakes up X, he gets to come along for a ride in the car too.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Hope I making a list checking it twice then posting LOL

Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM

890 posts, read 2,280,220 times
I haven't specifically taught them anything but they have picked up on a couple of words/phrases:

'cage please!' and they both walk right into the crate
'who's hungry? / do you want to eat?' they both freak out and start whining/jumping around lol

my male dog will jump on command too

Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
fennec2009, your post reminds me of my childhood dog and cat. If I called either of them, they came individually. If I said "come girls" they both would follow me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs