Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,438 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We have 2 months old Labrador puppy bitten by mad street dog (Rabbis infected), it has bitten into ear and lower neck, we take the puppy into vet and got the injection and clean the wounds and put the medicines

My little puppy is not vaccinated as it was too small for that

Please help what are precautions need to take

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,308,829 times
didn't your vet give you any info. Obviously you are not American. Here the dog would be quarantined for some time to see if rabies appears. I certainly would not keep your puppy around people. look up rabies for more information. It takes a lot of concentrated intervention not just 1 shot and sent home with meds.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,339,731 times
I'm wondering how she knows for certain that the mad street dog had rabies.

Nothing the OP shares indicates that rabies is involved because no vet would just send an unvaccinated dog home after being bitten by a rabid dog.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,520,468 times
Right. A "mad dog" might appear vicious or agitated or, as happened, very aggressive, but that doesn't mean it is rabid, in fact, it's very unlikely. It could just plain be vicious or aggressive for whatever reason.
OP should double-check with the vet, because a dog acting "mad" doesn't mean rabies. Fortunately. Please keep us posted on the little pooch.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM

13,932 posts, read 39,446,206 times
IF you know for sure the dog that bit your puppy had rabies you NEED to put the puppy to Sleep! Even puppy licking you in mouth or open sore CAN give you rabies!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,076 times
My 1year old Labrador bitten by a mad street dog..and that street dog died after one day. Is anything is related to my pet.and what should I do with my pet. Should I take him to the vet.although he is already vaccine

Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,479,859 times
India needs its own dog forum. What exactly defines a "mad street dog"? In this country if a dog is suspected of being rabid it is quarantined. The bitten dog also.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,603,785 times
The puppy needs to be in Quarantine and not near people who are unprotected. The dog that bit the puppy needs to be put down before it exposes other animals or people. There is no cure for rabies and it is a terrible way to die.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,710,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm wondering how she knows for certain that the mad street dog had rabies.

Nothing the OP shares indicates that rabies is involved because no vet would just send an unvaccinated dog home after being bitten by a rabid dog.
Cant we all just give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes? If she says it was rabid then fine it was rabid. Why are people so doubtful nowadays? Perhaps she didnt post proof of rabies because she figured people would believe her. Just like me; i dont lie so when i talk to others i dont feel i should have to show proof of every little word i speak as requiring it is insulting.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,697,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajappa View Post
Hi All,

We have 2 months old Labrador puppy bitten by mad street dog (Rabbis infected), it has bitten into ear and lower neck, we take the puppy into vet and got the injection and clean the wounds and put the medicines

My little puppy is not vaccinated as it was too small for that

Please help what are precautions need to take

Thanks
Umm...if the dog that bit your critter was, indeed, PROVEN, rabid, your pup is lost. That's the cold truth of it. A , truly, rabid mongrel cur , I believe, would have put your local animal authorities and vets on Red Alert, as well. A rabid feral dog would have the community I live in , in an uproar.

Community alerts would have gone out, a huge awareness campaign started and a concerted effort to track the animal, back to its origin, would happen. We take rabies VERY seriously in all parts of the US. I've never even heard of a domestic animal turning up infected, thou I'm sure it happened somewhere, but even finding a rabid bat or other rodent, is enough to cause a pretty big stir.

I would think a rabid junkyard cur would be cause for some serious attention from your local authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs