Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 PM

160 posts, read 384,796 times

Advertisements

I have some outside dogs. I have a black lab. I live out in the country and sometimes my dogs go wondering but always comes back. Well my lab came back and it had a note to the collar saying they fed my dog treats. A cup of food and they played ball with my dog and to take better care of him because they cannot afford a black lab.
Should I be freaked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:48 PM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
You need to put up a fence and not let the dog wander on its own. A lot of bad things can happen to a dog out in the country.

1) Coyotes
2) Snakes
3) Being shot justifiably by a farmer protecting his/her goats, chickens, calfs, or other livestock your dog might harrass
4) Being shot by a neighbor just because they don't like stray dogs
5) Hit by a car

Just my opinion. I live in a rural area on a nice size plot of land. I have no nearby neighbors and are friendly enough with the nearest neighbors that they know me and my dogs. I still keep them in a fenced in yard unless I am out with them walking my property. Too many coyotes around here.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I have some outside dogs. I have a black lab. I live out in the country and sometimes my dogs go wondering but always comes back. Well my lab came back and it had a note to the collar saying they fed my dog treats. A cup of food and they played ball with my dog and to take better care of him because they cannot afford a black lab.
Should I be freaked out?
Yes. Take better care of your dogs.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
and if he'll eat anything someone gives him, let's not forget poison.

sorry, keep your doggy at home.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's a wake-up call. They're telling you to keep your pets off their property.

I know rural people feel differently about dogs, but you should not let them roam all over creation. Wartrace is right.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I think they are saying if he comes back they are keeping him - hopefully. I lived in the country for 5 years, wandering dogs and cats are an issue. They can still get hit by cars, they can still annoy neighbors, and they can still disappear forever. There was a guy down the street that shot at them any time they got on his property. After finding two dogs huddled together, who most likely died from exposure after a subzero cold spell, on the edge of our property the second year we lived there I called animal control whenever I saw a loose one. Lots of people liked to drop their no longer wanted dog off in the country to fend for themselves - domesticated dogs that are not much better at surviving in the wild as you or I.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:54 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Yes please put up a fence, even if it's a cheap wire fence. If you can't afford a fence then you can't afford a dog and you should not have a dog. We live in the country too and there are way too many issues to let me even think about doing this with our dogs. Now this neighbor is another issue. Not that he/she was wrong, it was a nice wake up call. And if the note is true your dog will be at their doorstep tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
In addition to the fence others have rightly mentioned, as well- please bring your dogs inside so they can be with their human; don't leave them outside unattended even if you do have a fence. Spend time with them, rub their belly, play ball, and give them treats. You are their only human; they need you to do right by them.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
Should I be freaked out?
What the note is saying is that if the dog comes back to them, they are keeping it.

So if you want to keep your dog, treat it better. Do NOT allow your dogs to wander.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:09 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
When I 1st started raising dogs I had Several collies & shelties then I purchased my own place in the sticks.. A week later the dogs were out & about I never thought anything about it they always came back & came when called. & all were tattooed. anyway one day a farmer followed them back home .... kinda scary as he was carrying a gun! Told me real nice "Put up a fence! I almost shot the Shelties for Foxes!...only thing that saved them was my collies being with them!" he never seen Foxes that Big! That was Wed! on Friday, Sat & Sunday Friends arrived they heard my story LOL They came put up a Fence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs