Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

if its the same brand id make a flat switch out, when you decide to go for it id say no food for 12-24 hours to let her system empty, but generally with the same brand tummy upsets are limited if any at all

it MAY not be the turkey, but i think your definate first step would be to eliminate it and see what happens...
the other item poultry is fed alot of and is a very common allergen (especially in females) is soy...so the combination could be enough for a 1-2 punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM

123 posts, read 245,833 times
Skin problems. Has she had any vaccines lately? Are you putting any flea meds on her? Have you changed her food lately? Have you put anything on the grass outdoors lately? Changed laundry detergent?

Old 04-23-2016, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When I googled this there was quite a bit of information about yeast, allergies, etc but nothing recent. I haven't taken Lucy to the vet for this recently but last time I did i did not get much help. She is on a diet of only Nature's Variety Instinct grain free 1 protein 1 starch usually Turkey meal formula. She is loathe to touch her little princess feet on any grass except to do her business.

Any suggestions? She is about 11 years old with the usual Bichon and old lady skin problems like bumps. We love her dearly.

My light creme goldens stay wet all day feet day from getting in and out of the lake next to our yard. I googled and even asked the breeder how to change the large areas of pink fur back white. It's different than tear stain. My male's chest and feet fur were very pink. My female was getting pink roots to her entire back and the fur behind her ears was pink. I noticed about 6 to 8 weeks after starting daily probiotics--plexus brand to be specific--the hair is all creme again. There is some light pink left behind her ears. But the roots are light creme again. And the male's big furry chest has no pink at all. It had to be the probiotics. I always thought it was fungal from staying damp in our MS hot humidity.

I started adding one capsule per day to their food. That's the only change so it has to be the probiotics.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Well Bichon Lucy got all better but now our Maltese Toby has bad tear stains and pink feet. So the same food cures on and makes the other one come down with it???!!!

We already feed our cats with different foods and the idea of feeding the dogs separately is not much fun.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Personally, I would at least have a consult with my trusted vet before proceeding with any "fixes". Of course, probiotics of the best grade are available at your local grocery as kefir for people. At least, most of the kefirs on the market around here are big on having the "big name" probiotic strains. That is food, so not like you're going for antibiotics or anything.

But it might turn out to be helpful to have a vet opinion on what's going on. And one consult, at least at my vet, is not expensive. If you have one of those vets where you can't seem to get out of the place without doing 3 expensive batteries of test, and next appointments scheduled 6 months ahead - might want to look around at other vets.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well Bichon Lucy got all better but now our Maltese Toby has bad tear stains and pink feet. So the same food cures on and makes the other one come down with it???!!!

We already feed our cats with different foods and the idea of feeding the dogs separately is not much fun.
You have two very small dogs. It would be fairly inexpensive to try a commercial, balanced raw diet. There are so many anecdotal reports of a raw diet resolving skin/coat/allergy issues in dogs that there is likely something to it.

Some useful articles: Understanding Canine Allergies | Whole Dog Journal and Canine Allergies and Your Dog's Health | Whole Dog Journal

Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
BUT i do belive dogs have (and test positive for poultry allergies...(chicken being most common) well if there not allergic to meat how can they be allergic to chicken...simple...what is commercial chicken fed its entire short life before its butchered? CORN...commercial meat chicken diet is almost completly corn...and they are fed this their entire lie untill slaughter...(this is why grocery store chicken fat has that yellow color, REAL chicken fat should be almost pure white, its also why butter is yellow (it should be almost pure white)
While turkey is considered a "novel protein" unfortunatly like the chicken farms Turkey famrs feed their commercial birds a diet made almsot entirely of corn...
corn is not a natural food for these animals (and most dogs are HIGHLY sensitive to corn) (turkeys and chickens are true omnivores their natural diet is small seeds, greens, roots and insects)...
and its MY belife (as evident for yellow fat) that whatever in the corn that caues corn allergies can still be present in meat.
Potential allergens fed to poultry would be digested by the birds and not show up in the meat.This article is from the human viewpoint, but it would apply to any animal consuming the meat.

http://blog.glutenfreeresourcedirect...e-meat-we-eat/

Perdue chickens are fed marigold petals to give the skin that yellow color. It was initially a marketing gimmick, adopted because the company found that customers preferred yellow chickens to white chickens.

If a pet is allergic to a food that has chicken in it, it's not due to something the chicken ate. It's due to the chicken protein or some other ingredient in the food.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Default Try Ketocanazole

Here is the likely answer. I'll bet your dog does a lot of linking or swimming which causes the skin to be wet a lot and causing the pink fungus. Ask your vet about Ketocanazole in pill form. It knocked my American Bulldogs pink out in about 9 days. Very effective, but don't get the shampoo or creams. Waste of money. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
I grew up on a working farm. We raised chickens, cattle, horses, pigs, ducks and cats. The only corn we grew was sweet corn for us humans to eat. The butchering critters didn't get our food, dang it! And the ONLY time they got antibiotics is when the chicks and ducklings were in their first 2 weeks - there was something we mixed with their water... (erythromycin I think but I'm not solid on that.)

We churned our own buyer butter. When the cows had green grass to eat, the butter was yellow. In the winter, when they had only hay and a little oats, we'd work a little bit of some yellow dye that was made for coloring butter.

The egg yolks from the chickens and ducks were so much brighter yellow in the summer than in the winter... Again because of the green grass. We always butchered the young roosters in August. Their fat was a light golden color.

My point is that corn is not the only source of yellow.

Thought that y'all might want to know before you swallow all you are told. Thanks for the time.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop455 View Post
Here is the likely answer. I'll bet your dog does a lot of linking or swimming which causes the skin to be wet a lot and causing the pink fungus. Ask your vet about Ketocanazole in pill form. It knocked my American Bulldogs pink out in about 9 days. Very effective, but don't get the shampoo or creams. Waste of money. Good luck.
I was reading up about this drug. Lots of scary side effects including liver failure. I'd rather have the stains than take the risk of killing my dog. Glad it worked for your Bulldog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs