Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

My SO other plans to bring his full grown German Shepard to our new home to live sometime in the next year. I want to get a puppy, probably a small or medium size dog.

First question: what dog do you think would get along best with a German Shepard...Corgi, Beagle or Daschund?

Also, do you suggest get the puppy first and then bring the German Shepard or vice versa? I'm thinking the German Shepard is going to not be happy if we bring home a puppy one day but if there's one here already it might be ok. Currently she is staying with his mom and barks like crazy at all dogs and is territorial but sweet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,692 times
I imagine that the dachsund would be a good mix. All the dachsunds I had growing up thought they were big dogs, so they weren't intimidated by big dogs. Plus, they are usually sweet, too.

I understand your concern about bringing home a puppy to the dog. Because the German Shepherd is the dog that you are going to keep, I would let her decide if she likes and accepts a puppy instead of bringing her into a puppy's territory. Some dogs like each other right away, some have to learn to be accepting, and some clash. When we introduce a new animal to our family of pets, we always have a trial introduction. If it is obvious the dogs won't get along, we don't buy or adopt. Many good adoption facilities or breeders will support you in making sure that your GS can accept the puppy before you buy it or adopt it. Since the GS will be the most affected by this addition to your home, I'd let her decide who she can get along with and accept.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
A puppy would be submissive to the older dog so you shouldn't have a problem if it isn't too old. I brought a wiem(7mos) into my home with 5 other dogs and she is by far the biggest but is submissive to the one who is alpha. They all get along fine and play.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Good advice, thank you. I'm glad that the dachsund was mentioned because that's the one I'm leaning towards.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
We had a great big old male german shepherd, Bubba, when we brought home MolLeigh, our yorkie mix who was 3 lbs at 3 months old. MolLeigh just loved ol' Bubba. He was about 13 yrs old at the time. And he tolerated her just fine.

Our german shepherd, Myla, was brought home when she was 12 weeks old and she and MolLeigh (pronounced Molly) get along fine.

Yorkies are like doxy's, they do not fear large dogs.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
yorkies don't know they are small dogs to be sure. Mine will stand up to the weim which is funny since Gabby's (weim) head is bigger than Willie.
They are great little lap dogs and so easy to spoil.. not that mine is.. LOL

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
My SO other plans to bring his full grown German Shepard to our new home to live sometime in the next year. I want to get a puppy, probably a small or medium size dog.

First question: what dog do you think would get along best with a German Shepard...Corgi, Beagle or Daschund?

Also, do you suggest get the puppy first and then bring the German Shepard or vice versa? I'm thinking the German Shepard is going to not be happy if we bring home a puppy one day but if there's one here already it might be ok. Currently she is staying with his mom and barks like crazy at all dogs and is territorial but sweet. Thanks!
Dogs love puppies, are you kidding? She'll be thrilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs