Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM

31 posts, read 46,946 times

Advertisements

I'm one who makes their own dog food usually cooking chicken,rice,and carrots or beef,barley and green beans ad i make my own treats as well usually peanut butter or beef flavor,they have been on homemade for a few years now and so far they have been healthy thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
Sort of. I give them kibble but I usually add something to it: rice, pasta, meaty water*, cheese.

(*I freezes cube of bouillon/water and the reheat to make a sauce).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallady View Post
I'm one who makes their own dog food usually cooking chicken,rice,and carrots or beef,barley and green beans ad i make my own treats as well usually peanut butter or beef flavor,they have been on homemade for a few years now and so far they have been healthy thank goodness.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Vary it up by using other types of meat... pork, lamb, goat, venison, rabbit...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Yes, and have been for 15 years.

Beef, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, elk, catfish, rabbit, goose, or eggs are alternated. Brown rice, oats, quinoa, barley, noodles, yams are used for carbohydrates. I use whatever veggies I can get my hands on, including pumpkin. I also add some fruit; the dogs like apples.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 AM

I make my own food and their treats.food is usually chicken,rice,carrots or green beans,or beef,rice,a vegetable or i use turkey,and they get a little sweet potato as they love those they have been getting homemade for a few years now and they also get yogurt they love that.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
We feed ours a raw diet consisting of a combination of pre-mixed and homemade raw.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
We fed raw for over 10 years, until our older boy developed an ulcer from Deramaxx and had trouble with the raw. So our vet had us put him (and for convenience, our other dog) on a bland diet of chicken, oatmeal, green beans and carrots. We added in fish oil and Missing Link Hip and Joint powder. Both dogs did great on it for three years, until they both passed away at the ages of 13 and 14 years old last year.

It's a commitment, to be sure. Feeding raw was never much trouble, although I did get tired of cutting up so much chicken. Cooking for them was pretty time consuming. They were border collie-lab mixes, so pretty large dogs, and I blew through at least five chickens a week for the two of them. Sometimes I got pretty frustrated, always stripping boiled chickens, cooking up tons of oatmeal and veg for the freezer, and having the house always smell of chicken broth. But we loved those two beyond measure, so I never tried to make it easier by trying a kibble on them. Jimmy never could digest kibble his entire life. He couldn't even handle rice.

So now we have a 10-month old puppy, and we're feeding her Blue Buffalo kibble. I add a little bit of veg or rice or chicken sometimes, mostly because I have a feeling whatever I am adding is a little extra love. I am saving at least 5-6 hours a week and quite a bit of money over the way we used to feed. I am not arguing against homecooking, and I still think raw is the best way to feed, but a premium commercial food is what I choose to do now.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,903 times
Yep. Started in 2007 with all home cooked food (almost the exact same things that oregonwoodsmoke listed, just not the duck or goose, but also salmon, trout and blueberries and zucchini in season). Even did home cooked while on a few months worth of a cross country trip in 2011, and that did take some major planning/effort.

As of last July, I do a combo of commercial and home cooked - easier on the road, for sure (more kibble than home-cooked). At home, the ration is the reverse at 2/3 home cooked, 1/3 kibble, in part now because my last rescue was just under 2 when we got him. I'd forgotten how active and in need of guidance/training a youngster can be. So it gives me some spare time to work with him on issues if I cook a bit less, though for such a young dog, he is an extraordinarily well behaved boy.

My two boys weigh approx 55 lbs each. I add cosequin to the 9 year old's food and fish oil to both. The kibble says it has glucosamine/chrondrotin in it, so I don't supplement with a large amount of cosequin. But my older boy goes a lot slower up the stairs than he used to, and I can watch him from behind and see his hips are a bit stiff (you'd think I was crazy if you only saw him run at liberty outside, but it is starting, as he used to fly up those stairs).

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,063 times
I make food in my pressure cooker...usually I add some brown rice, veggies and bone-in chicken pieces. I let it cook for an hour or so and when it is done, the bones are soft enough to mush up into the food. Usually I add a little bit to Toby's kibble for dinner.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM

As i enjoy making my own and my pugs do well with it and have had no issues which i'm very thankful for.I use beef,chicken,turkey ground and rice and steamed vegetables and they get yogurt and sweet potatoes.I enjoy making their treats which they are either chicken or beef flavored and they love the peanut butter ones as well.Fresh homemade to me is the best as you don't know what food will be recalled next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs