Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the Best Friends web site and see they are about 4 hours from Vegas. I am considering a trip where I could fly to Vegas, head over to Kanab, then down to the Grand Canyon and back to Vegas. How long do most folks stay at Best Friends? I would like to volunteer to work with the dogs for a day or two. Is that sufficient to "see everything"? Anything else to consider/do when going to Dogtown? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I was looking at the Best Friends web site and see they are about 4 hours from Vegas. I am considering a trip where I could fly to Vegas, head over to Kanab, then down to the Grand Canyon and back to Vegas. How long do most folks stay at Best Friends? I would like to volunteer to work with the dogs for a day or two. Is that sufficient to "see everything"? Anything else to consider/do when going to Dogtown? Thanks.
I spent a week at best friends the first day we had to do an orientation and they give you a tour but after that we showed up each morning and because it was during Katrina they had few volunteers so we got to choose which group of dogs we wanted to be with so we tried to spend time with each different dog house.. My favorite was the old dog one ( the senior dog home) as the old dogs were so sweet and LOVED the attention so much . We spent the days scooping poop,playing with dogs and walking dogs and because there were 3 of us we were allowed to take 3 dogs from the same pack out together and did trips to down town Kanab and other areas with the dogs. We also stayed not at best friends but at someones house and were allowed to bring a dog " home" for an over night. It was fun but too short! There is a beautiful building on top of a cliff where you can get lunch for a couple bucks and it was so worth it as the view alone was breath taking and the food excellent ( all vegetarian) We went in OCT so it was HOT during the day but cold at night but the snakes were not as active as they are during the summer as there are a lot of rattle snakes. But if you can only do two days you will be able to see the set up ( as it is fantastic) and spend some time with the dogs so will leave with an understanding on how the place works. I have always wanted to go back but just have not gotten to do so yet .

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
You can spend as little or as much time as you want volunteering. You can see a lot on the required tour. I stayed in a cottage on grounds overlooking Horse Haven (reserve early!) and ended up volunteering at Old Friends (old dogs) in the morning and collapsing in a/c in my cottage in the afternoons because of a heat wave and allergies. (If you don't have allergies elsewhere, know that you might have them in Kanab).
I also flew to L.V., rented a car, and made the four-hour drive, which is very pleasant once you cross into Utah. Very beautiful.
I personally prefer Zion Park to the Grand Canyon, but what's so great about Kanab is the access to so many beautiful places. If you stay in Kanab (about five miles from B.F.) I recommend Quail Park Lodge, a curious 50's style motel in the center of town that has very nice amenities with its retro ambiance (and you can take an overnight dog there, too). That is something I really liked- taking an overnight dog and evaluating him/her as to behavior, interactions, etc. Of course, there's always the chance that you'll want to adopt said dog!

The red rock country is gorgeous and B.F. is a lovely place to visit. Have a grand trip!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
We went in OCT so it was HOT during the day but cold at night but the snakes were not as active as they are during the summer as there are a lot of rattle snakes. But if you can only do two days you will be able to see the set up ( as it is fantastic) and spend some time with the dogs so will leave with an understanding on how the place works. I have always wanted to go back but just have not gotten to do so yet .
Thanks for the input. I am flexible, so maybe I will just plan to spend more time at BF and postpone the Grand Canyon until later.

Are you able to request where to work? I love pits, so would want to work mostly with them if possible. I see where they have morning and afternoon shifts. It is common for people to do both, or are you worn out after the morning shift?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
We did both morning and afternoon and enjoyed our lunch break there. With them being way down on volunteers due to Katrina we were able to work where ever. If I remember you sign up for an area and when they have enough people in an area they probably stop the sign ups for that area. Don't worry as once you get in the area you can choose which dogs you want to work with and when I was there all areas had some pits in them. One of the best dogs we took out on a visit into town was a pit named Artie. He had the best manners and was always smiling at us and wanting to cuddle, my sisters went with me and one was a bit nervous about pits but Artie worked his magic on her and changed her mind about the breed.

Don't worry they do not expect hard labor you work at your own pace and much of it is just playing with the dogs too. The hard part may be the heat as walking in that heat is not easy.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:36 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Having just returned from a visit to Best Friends Animal Society look at the website and contact them. It is an easy drive from Las Vegas and very much worth it. My friend has been a member since the 70s and I have been for ~1year.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I've been a member of BF for years and even used to write articles for their volunteer website page. I encourage you to spend at least 2 days there. Most people express that they wished they had booked more time. The Sanctuary is HUGE and there is too much to see to take it in all in one day. If you want to take a breather from working with the animals, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon are much closer to Kanab than the Grand Canyon and in my mind much nicer (less crowded). Its no problem to fly into Vegas and drive out to Kanab. A lot of people do the "Vegas/Kanab shuffle" since its the closest airport. There are lots of hotels in Kanab but do try and book one of the cottages (I recommend those) or cabins that are right in Angel Canyon with the Sanctuary. I also urge you to not only volunteer at Dogtown but to also volunteer at one of the other areas as well. Best Friends isn't all about dogs, its all about a whole assortment of animals. As for morning or afternoon shifts for volunteering, time of year makes all the difference. Since its a high desert environment, afternoons can be a bit like working in a blast furnace in the summer so plan accordingly. Bring lots of water for hydration, a hat and proper foot attire (sandals will NOT work) if you are working an afternoon shift. Do take one of the animals for a sleep over. Its a treat for them and you will never forget it either. Enjoy. there is no place on earth like Best Friends!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM

I called BF to ask about visiting / volunteering and the call went to voice mail. The message said the best way to contact them was via e-mail. It's been over a week and still no response. They must get a large volume of calls/e-mails, so I was wondering if that was typical. The VM also said you could leave a message with details on when you wanted to come out, so I may try that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs