Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM

211 posts, read 519,497 times

Advertisements

Or use sign language of some sort? I think that many of the bigger dogs have the intelligence to understand it. I think that it will take time for them to evolve though and progress vocally. Dogs with more vocal abilities like Huskies and Malamutes and much more are starting to improvise the way we talk. Realistically though, any dog could have the vocal abilities to talk like us or mimic us, but dogs genetically related more to wolves have more vocal abilities. I doubt a dog could be capable of having a full conversation using sign language though, but you never know. Only time will tell honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Communicate more, hopefully yes...talk? I don't know....our peke communicates, as I'm sure many dogs do,
by looking at the item he wants, then back at me, back and forth.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Or use sign language of some sort? I think that many of the bigger dogs have the intelligence to understand it. I think that it will take time for them to evolve though and progress vocally. Dogs with more vocal abilities like Huskies and Malamutes and much more are starting to improvise the way we talk. Realistically though, any dog could have the vocal abilities to talk like us or mimic us, but dogs genetically related more to wolves have more vocal abilities. I doubt a dog could be capable of having a full conversation using sign language though, but you never know. Only time will tell honestly.
Can't see them using sign language. They don't have thumbs. My dog can high five but I don't see her doing much more than that with her toes.

As far as talking......She already does.

me: How was your day Bella?
Bella: Ruff

me: Did you miss me?
Bella: Ruff Ruff.

: smack:

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
why would dogs lower themselves to our level...lol

honestly I see forms of communicaton devices like the collrs for the dogs in UP that would allow in some capacity dog vocalizations (not nessicarily thought) to be translated insto something more easily understood by humans.

but I think dogs communicate perfectly well...were just often too busy to pay attention.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM

211 posts, read 519,497 times
We tend to misinterpret their actions though.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times
short answer... No

sorry, might not be what you were hoping to hear?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Can't see them using sign language. They don't have thumbs. My dog can high five but I don't see her doing much more than that with her toes.

As far as talking......She already does.

me: How was your day Bella?
Bella: Ruff

me: Did you miss me?
Bella: Ruff Ruff.

: smack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
why would dogs lower themselves to our level...lol

honestly I see forms of communicaton devices like the collrs for the dogs in UP that would allow in some capacity dog vocalizations (not nessicarily thought) to be translated insto something more easily understood by humans.

but I think dogs communicate perfectly well...were just often too busy to pay attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
We tend to misinterpret their actions though.
I'm sorry, I was very flippent with my reply. Yes most of us do misinterpret their actions. They do "talk" to us. We just need to learn to understand.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,600 times
My dogs talk to me all the time. Lady Bug grunts at me when she wants to go potty, both Cricket and Bug whine when they want in the kitchen and the baby gate is up. They tell me when someone is here and sometimes when no one is here. My Willie (bloodhound) is very vocal and sounds like he is trying to talk. I have full conversations with him in his language. LOL!! So talk like us no but communicate they do it every day if we take the time to watch and listen.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
They already use sign language. Dog sign language.

Some text and write books, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Text-...03679529752766
http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/
Text From Dog HAHA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texts-Dog-Oc...6836382&sr=1-1

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Do you think that dogs will ever be able to actually talk in some form like humans?

I hope so. I want to know what they think about.

Besides, I've been trying to my daughter's rotty how to say, "Kowalski Garlic Boloney". I told him that if he says it, I'll give him some. He makes a really good effort and bounces like Tigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs