Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,734 times

Advertisements

I think those halti's are great for some, but they do not allow the dog to operate under distractions, it takes their view of the distraction. I like my dogs to be able to walk, SEE & view their surroundings and LISTEN to me = and be able CONTROL themselves during a distraction, so I use the prong and the remote as backup so in case I ever lost my grip on a leash. (it happens) Always good to have backup.

and the prong or remote are NOT inhumane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM

133 posts, read 750,676 times
I've heard that Halti's can come off relatively easily; all the dog has to do is pull backwards. Not sure how accurate that is.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:56 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Good! I've used prong color before, and i've trained my male with E-collar as well. The cruelty of it comes from lack of knowledge on how to use tools for training. That is what they are, tools! If people do more research on how to apply tools given, there won't be cruelty involved.
I'm gald you're responsible and caring owner and help your dog to be successfull.
Your so right. Most people that recommend against a choker or prong collar usually don't know a thing about them or saw some jackass mistreating the dog by hanging there dogs out on those two types of collar. I've always used chokers on my pooches and never had a problem and "NO" I don't use it to jack them up. A properly fit choker is a great tool and I've never had any of my dogs back out of a choker. A quick story. I was a Petco about a year ago and a lady came into the store with a Doberman on lead. The dog had a choke collar on and she was using a retractable lead. I couldn't help but notice that the choker was on wrong and the dog was having a little difficulty in breathing. I pointed it out to this lady and she tells me "that's the way his trainer puts it on" I asked if she was paying the trainer and she gave me a nasty look. I then asked if he recommended using the retractable lead in conjunction with the choker and her reply was yes. My reply was, money well spent, I hope you have a good vet!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 AM

38 posts, read 207,176 times
How would you feel if someone strapped a prong collar around your neck and throat and every time you tried to speak you got electrocuted? The whole concept is pretty disturbing to me. I would never think of doing that to my dog. If your dog is barking you're not giving it enough attention. Please use another method that's not so cruel.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
You know I did not know that about the collar. ANyone know how to properly put a lead collar on?
Are you talking about a choke chain? If it's just a normal choke chain, you put the one end into the other and hold it out in front of you. It should look like a "P" with the excess on the left side. Keep it looking like a "P" while you slide it over your dog's head. If it's on the other way, the chain will not loosen up after giving your dog a correction. If it's on the correct way, you will be able to give your dog a quick correction and the chain will immediately loosen.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
How would you feel if someone strapped a prong collar around your neck and throat and every time you tried to speak you got electrocuted? The whole concept is pretty disturbing to me. I would never think of doing that to my dog. If your dog is barking you're not giving it enough attention. Please use another method that's not so cruel.
Disturbing? Wouldn't be so disturbing if your neighbor had 2 outside dogs that barked at the wind.

I'm glad mine are fairly quiet and of course they are not out alone or unattended, EVER. All I have to say if they do bark is, 'shhh, ut ut, no bark'. Of course when training I want them barking.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I like the prong collar, also. My 13 lb Bichon would always pull with the harness and conventional collar dragging me too fast. Now, he walks at my pace and it is not a 'struggle'.

I don't advise slipping the collar on; however, since you can injure your dog's eyes. There are right and wrong ways to use them. They have to fit properly. Also, do not leave the collar on all the time.

How to fit a collar and using the pull versus non pull ring:

How to fit a Prong Collar

---
With regards to a barking collar, I never needed one with my particular dog. I know that it shouldn't be used 24/7, either.
yes a bichon may pull,
I would never say a chock prong collar for the Bichon-
the bichon, lives for love, and to please-also a bichon is small, and a happy
dog-the bichon need a gentle collar, and love. and yes training. we went to school, and wait, no, etc., a bichon, really should never have a prong collar. they live to please.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Actually, what I am asking about is sometimes called The Gentle Lead or Head collar. It's a great humane tool that teaches dogs to not pull and tug on their leash without the painful negative reinforcement. I have one, but it's a bit strange to apply.
We use the gentle leader and love it. I'm just glad it worked. My husband was looking into the prong collar, but I would have been very uncomfortable with it (just my own insecurities about learning how to use it properly-glad others have success with them). The head one does look like it would be strange to apply. Ours is more like a harness. There was a change in her walking on the leash INSTANTLY after putting this on her.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
Thats how I feel..........If I wouldn't put it on myself or my child......it is not going on my beloved dog. I almost cried when I saw how they worked, on a friends dog. One trainer was so, so, cruel with this collar on a meek and mild dog.......it was so upsetting.......we walked out and left the class.
Being cruel to a dog, dragging it around, and putting these on...don't think so.
Love and kindness works the best.....

Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
the gentle leader works awesome.
My friends all use it and swear by it.

I'm not really for electric collars. I just couldn't bring myself to put one on the little guy. Some dogs just bark ...cody barks for legit reasons but will not stop baring until "the problem" is resolved. We also start asking him for things and then he gets distracted. Sometimes all I need to do is walk over and say "cody it's ok. thanks buddy" and he stops other times he will need to be put in another room until he settles.

I kinda understand the need for a choke collar especially w/ breeds that heads are smaller then their necks and big chested dogs.

I don't know what I think of prong collars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs